Selling yourself

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicksyb

Reaction score
Hi

I'm after some advice about which way to turn or what to do.

I have a beauty diploma from a private company, I know I need further training and also to gain my NVQ's in Beauty Therapy. I am moving out of Norfolk hopefully within the next couple of months as my partner is looking for another job.

Obv I shall also need a new job and was hoping to go into either a spa or beauty salon. Now as I don't have an NVQ this is going to prove a bit difficult so need to think of a way to present myself to these places. Ideally I want to start from the bottom and be able to learn on the job and gain an NVQ aswell. What do you think is the best way to do this or is it viable?

Its all confusing :irked:

In my opinion, I would try to get yourself enrolled on a course at college first. Then, once you know the days you're going to be there you could start looking around for a job in a salon. If I was an employer, the fact that you don't have an NVQ wouldn't necessarily put me off, if you had enrolled yourself on a course. It shows willingness to learn, and initiative.

Just be prepared that you may not be able to perform treatments at the salon until you're qualified with the NVQ. (You didn't say what qualification you've already done). So you might find that you're stuck behind reception, or making tea...but I think there are worse places to be than that, and you'll gain valuable skills while you're there.

When you're looking for a job, make sure your CV is excellent, and turn up in person to hand-deliver it, looking smart. Even if you hand it to the receptionist, just remember that that receptionist obviously works with the person that may offer you a job...so if she tells that manager you were well presented, smiley and polite, they will be more inclined to offer you something. First impressions count. For me, someone with no phone skills calling up asking "'av you got any jobs?" is an instant NO!!!

Good luck!!! :)

Last edited:
Thank you.

All I have is a Beauty Diploma award from The Beauty Academy. I guess I shall have to wait to find out where my partner gets a job and then apply for courses etc.

I just regret not finishing my NVQ course when I was 17 now :mad:

But everything happens for a reason :)
You just have to try to believe you're exactly where you need to be at this moment in time...difficult as it may be!

As you've already done some beauty, you may even find that you can complete certain aspects of the course really quickly...it's really worth asking :)

Thank you.

All I have is a Beauty Diploma award from The Beauty Academy. I guess I shall have to wait to find out where my partner gets a job and then apply for courses etc.

I just regret not finishing my NVQ course when I was 17 now :mad:

these diplomas are accredited with the guild and babtac aren't they? Why can't you work with this qualification? What does it entitle you to do?

They aren't Guild or BABTAC approved. I did pay to do the City & Guilds qualification but I wasn't impressed with the service or teaching so decided not to do it, then they refused to refund me the assessment fee's (But thats another story totally).

I think that in order for me to get a job in a salon or spa I will need NVQ's and shall have to enrol in September. I wanted to do go to college last Sept but as there is only one college in Norfolk the course was fully booked the beginning of 2007!! :eek:

They aren't Guild or BABTAC approved. I did pay to do the City & Guilds qualification but I wasn't impressed with the service or teaching so decided not to do it, then they refused to refund me the assessment fee's (But thats another story totally).

I think that in order for me to get a job in a salon or spa I will need NVQ's and shall have to enrol in September. I wanted to do go to college last Sept but as there is only one college in Norfolk the course was fully booked the beginning of 2007!! :eek:

I've done courses with the Beauty academy and they are approved by the guild at least! I'm not with BABTAC but i'm sure they would be with them too? They can't charge you vast sums of money for something that doesn't mean you can get insurance and isn't a recognised qualification can they? Surely trading standards?

Hi I did this course with the beauty academy as a refresher and I think they are insurable with the Guild. However I did my original courses at college full time and I really feel that this would be your best option. I felt loads of stuff was skipped over and I knew I annoyed one of the tutors as I had previous experience and pointed out a few shortcomings!!! They are not really substitutes for full training although a good tutor can help make a difference. It is the continual monitoring and assessments on clients that make a more professional therapist and the time spent gaining proficiency that you would get from a FT course. Bite the bullet and go to college. :)

"They can't charge you vast sums of money for something that doesn't mean you can get insurance and isn't a recognised qualification can they? Surely trading standards?" (FlorrieDee).

Actually, they can! As there is no legal requirement to train, nor to qualify, nor to be certified, nor to hold any insurance in this industry, I'm 99.99999% sure that even if a trainer is not accredited by any/many/all insurers or trade associations, they are not breaking the law.

And if you really fancy a cold shower - within reason, they don't even have to be trained in what they train or qualified to train!

Funny old world, innit?

PHILIP SWINFORD
Marketing Services Manager
BABTAC

I have to go along with bams idea of receptionist job and the college enrolement.

One thing I have learnt in this industry...taking up Phillips point, is there are alot of people out there charging alot of money for uncredited and really if we are honest unworthy "courses", this is where this site is useful as you can pick up any good and bad points to your queries before you part with your cash.

Do your research thorougly and if in doubt leave it out....if unsure ask:)

On a brighter note..........you will be fine, just think positive and be active in what your seeking for...dont waste your time......and dont think you cant get a job because you dont have an nvq....a receptionist job is a start...a waitress/bar attendent in a hotel with a beauty salon is the right start....start ringing around those hotels with salons/spas...look outside the box .........you will be fine:)

Thank you for all that info and advice. I have decided to go back to college in September and this time complete my NVQ :)

As for a job in a salon/spa I am going to have a look and talk to a few of the salons in the area.

On reflection I wished I had done my homework on courses more, I thought I had chosen the correct course for me, but after attending I felt so sorry for the ladies that hadn't had any prior training as the classess where not thorough enough to be let loose on the public :mad:

Hi, you can get insurance with The Guild.

Hi Hun, from another Norfolk gal:hug:

In case something changes and you stay in Norfolk, there are 3 colleges that I know of that do the beauty therapy, Norwich City College, Kings Lynn (College of West Norfolk I think it's officially called) and Great Yarmouth College, though that's a way from you. I've applied for the part time one at Norwich, I sent it in in April, and am awaiting the interview, they don't fully book that early (now on my second course there, the beauty one will be no 3!) as the interviews aren't even held until June/July time.

good luck hun, hope it all works out for you

Latest posts

Back