Severe contra-action? advice - never come across this before

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfectbeauty

Reaction score
If anybody has come across this before or can tell me what else I can advise one of my learners I would appreciate your replies - sorry this may be long but have tried to fill whole scenario in

I am a part time tutor - teaching NVQ level 2 nail services

My class started nail enhancements unit a few weeks ago - one of the learners has only been in for 2 of the weeks when we have actually used product and each time after leaving class has had a nosebleed (not while in class or using product but on arriving home)

her doctor has suggested it is due to learning nail enhancements
I have covered all the usual health and safety aspects concerning over exposure right from the start

this is what we do:

1. ventilation system is on
2 this learner has used a face mask from day 1
3 liquid is only poured out at the time they are ready to start applying product
4 we use dappen dishes with lids
5 a gauze pad dampened with scrubfresh is used to wipe brush on
6 students are fully aware of applying product correctly so there is minimal filing

I have seen on one of gigi's thread a couple of things that I could implement like using oil first before filing and we open windows if necessary

Is there anything else I can advise and would this reaction definitely been due to nails and dust filings

I have never heard of anyone having nose bleed before but she has definitely only had nosebleed after each of these classes when we have used product

I have racked my brains if there is anything else we can do and also I have searched to see what info i can find on this

thanks in advance
nicola

Maybe she is giving her nose a good old blow when she gets home to get rid of any dust she feels might be up there, but doing it too hard?

hmm possibly - I didnt think to ask if it just started bleeding or if after blowing nose

I will check - thanks for suggestion

x

You sound to be doing a great job and I doubt very much if her nose bleeds are being caused by anything in the classroom. In 25 years of teaching I have never heard of this reaction and there would be NO NEED for it. The products we use in the industry, in the concentration we use them, would simply not cause a problem like this.

God ... to listen to ignorant and uninformed medics, you'd think we were working with radioactive chemicals or something ... not perfectly safe to use nail products. :eek: The easiest way out for doctors is, if in doubt, blame the nail products. Because doctors are in a so called position of authority people give weight to what they say when most doctors don't know the first thing about the products we use or how we use them. Makes me so cross.

when i first started doing nails i was experiencing some nosebleeds.
it was because i wasnt very good at it and was doing a lot of filing to make everything right. the excessive dust was irritating my nose and causing it to bleed. i started using a mask and it improved.
when my technique improved i did away with the mask and have never had problems since.

when i first started doing nails i was experiencing some nosebleeds.
it was because i wasnt very good at it and was doing a lot of filing to make everything right. the excessive dust was irritating my nose and causing it to bleed. i started using a mask and it improved.
when my technique improved i did away with the mask and have never had problems since.

She says the girl is using a mask PLUS the desk is ventilated and all the other great precautions she has taken to provide a perfect working environment for the students.

Just a thought ?? but could stress cause nosebleeds ?, like they can cause headaches?? I've never had a nosebleed, but I've had headaches from stress.

I Hope you find the cause of this :hug:

Just a thought ?? but could stress cause nosebleeds ?, like they can cause headaches?? I've never had a nosebleed, but I've had headaches from stress.

I Hope you find the cause of this :hug:

This would be my guess also,
if she thinks she is doing not so great and getting herself worked up in class and then by the time she gets home the pressure has to release some how,

hats off to you Nicola for teaching them the correct ways to reduce the vapours and work safe :hug:

You sound to be doing a great job and I doubt very much if her nose bleeds are being caused by anything in the classroom. In 25 years of teaching I have never heard of this reaction and there would be NO NEED for it. The products we use in the industry, in the concentration we use them, would simply not cause a problem like this.

God ... to listen to ignorant and uninformed medics, you'd think we were working with radioactive chemicals or something ... not perfectly safe to use nail products. :eek: The easiest way out for doctors is, if in doubt, blame the nail products. Because doctors are in a so called position of authority people give weight to what they say when most doctors don't know the first thing about the products we use or how we use them. Makes me so cross.

thank you so much for your reply -

this was my first thought as well - but we cannot come up with anything else that could be causing it

this learner has been off for 2 weeks and it was the 2 weeks prior to that it happened - she came in last night and advised me that is one of reasons why been off

What we dont have and I have been saying it to the centre since course started is metal lidded bins (I know) so obviously we will have to do this

sorry - I should have explained better about vent system - there is ventilation system but it is not on each desk it is the ceiling one - which is not fantastic but I suppose better than nothing - I suppose this is the only other thing we can do ( they will love me when I suggest this :eek:)

Thank you to all for your suggestions/replies - I think we will have to see next time we use product if she gets same reaction and investigate further

xx

thank you so much for your reply -

this was my first thought as well - but we cannot come up with anything else that could be causing it

this learner has been off for 2 weeks and it was the 2 weeks prior to that it happened - she came in last night and advised me that is one of reasons why been off

What we dont have and I have been saying it to the centre since course started is metal lidded bins (I know) so obviously we will have to do this

sorry - I should have explained better about vent system - there is ventilation system but it is not on each desk it is the ceiling one - which is not fantastic but I suppose better than nothing - I suppose this is the only other thing we can do ( they will love me when I suggest this :eek:)

Thank you to all for your suggestions/replies - I think we will have to see next time we use product if she gets same reaction and investigate further

xx

Look ... what this girl thinks or wants you to believe, and what is actually the cause are 2 entirely different things.

I'm sorry, but you only know what she is telling you and you have no idea what other strains she could be under etc. It is not up to you to decide what is causing her nose bleeds. How do you know what she is doing for the other 22 hours of the day when she is not at college??

She's been off for 2 weeks because of attending college for a night to learn nails??? Rediculous absolutely rediculous. Using nail products is not responsible for things like this.

I do not think you should be overreacting to this and I do not think you should be treating her allegations so seriously. We know and understand nail products and we know that they do not cause problems such as this. If this girl really believes that what she is doing at college is causing her problems then I suggest she withdraw from the course and get her out of there. Stop assuming, and letting her assume, that nail products are somehow at fault for this. God alone knows what her motives are in trying to push this but I would put an end to it pronto.

if shes already using a mask, w3hat more can you do.
it must just be a coincidence, maybe she would have had the problem if she'd been at home.

She says the girl is using a mask PLUS the desk is ventilated and all the other great precautions she has taken to provide a perfect working environment for the students.

no, i understood that bit. i just didnt word myself well. what i meant was that in my case the dust was causing it, but in this case it couldnt be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's just a coincidence aswell. My son suffers from very regular nosebleeds aswell,and the doctor said it was due to an artery that lies very close to the surface so any slight bang can set it off,even if he's asleep and he turns in the bed too fast. I was told that things may settle down for him,ie the artery will move further away as he gets older. Is this girl a teen? I would suggest to her that she get a 2nd opinion as there can often be a simple explanation for this kind of thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

I totally agree with you gigi - on everything you said in your last post

I know this is absolutely no way this is nails deep down - but also absolutely want to check also that I am doing everything possible - I would hate to think that there was something that I had overlooked at all

But also just to clarify - the learner is a mature student, very sensible and intelligent and has been in my class since september, this is not something she is saying to make a fuss as thats not like her or believing either but a case of what the doctor believes is causing it and was just a case of mentioning it as being what the doctor suggested

we have agreed that the measures we have in place are sufficient - maybe its me just jumping the gun a little bit in case it happens next time we use product so that I know I have covered every base

I am happy now that you have confirmed I am doing everything I should be doing - and will like you say stop worrying and let them sort it out if its what they believe :)

:hug:

Last edited:
I totally agree with you gigi - on everything you said in your last post

I know this is absolutely know way this is nails deep down - but also absolutely want to check also that I am doing everything possible - I would hate to think that there was something that I had overlooked at all

But also just to clarify - the learner is a mature student, very sensible and intelligent and has been in my class since september, this is not something she is saying to make a fuss as thats not like her or believing either but a case of what the doctor believes is causing it and was just a case of mentioning it as being what the doctor suggested

we have agreed that the measures we have in place are sufficient - maybe its me just jumping the gun a little bit in case it happens next time we use product so that I know I have covered every base

I am happy now that you have confirmed I am doing everything I should be doing - and will like you say stop worrying and let them sort it out if its what they believe :)

:hug:

I'm glad to hear this. I just think it is very irresponsible for a professional person like a Dr. to be putting unfounded ideas into this lady's mind ... because she is bound to think he knows what he is talking about ... which clearly he does not.

Good grief .. I got a nose bleed last week .. I mean sometimes you DO and there is not always an apparent cause for it. In fact it is more usual for there to be no apparent cause isn't it?

My 8 year old grandson has 3-4 nose bleeds per week .. often at night in bed when he is motionless and asleep. So what is the cause??? It just happens .. a part of growing up... maybe it's because his grandmother does nails??? FFS

It really annoys me that Dr's are so careless in what they say sometimes. So I WILL REPEAT ONE MORE TIME ... THERE IS NO REASON THAT A NAIL PRODUCT LIKE MONOMER USED IN THE WAY WE USE IT WOULD OR COULD BE THE CAUSE OF RECURRING NOSE BLEEDS. TELL HER TO LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR THE EXPLANATION.

thanks - you are a star

just need a way of mass educating doctors then lol :)

I think either stress or a coincidence, nose bleeds can definitely happen because of stress, my 4 year old gets one everytime he either has a temper tantrum or gets put in the naughty corner, I also occaisionally suffer from nose bleeds if I am stressed (could be a blood pressure problem, i.e blood pressure rising significantly when stressed to cause nose bleed) hope u get to the bottom of this. xxxx ;-)

Hi, you might like to have a read of this link BBC NEWS | Health | Nosebleeds

it is quite informative. Note the bit about dryness and using petrollium jelly in the nose...etc.

Latest posts

Back