Share your Best salon experiences!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Sharkster suggested this idea and I think it is a good one.

What are some of the best salon experiences you have had that you can share???

Did someone go that extra mile for you? Was someone just extra thoughtful?

Thank you Geeg, it's nice to have some positives as well!

I went to a super huge busy day spa once. 6 or so months later I went back and the receptionist recognised me right away and remembered my name and the type of wine that I wanted with my lunch. I had commented(apparently as I can't remember) on the fact that I love lavendar so a lavendar scented candle was put in my room instead of the musky spiced one that they usually have. And to cap it off she went and topped up the parking ticket on my car because I fancied 'chilling out' for a bit longer (I have visions of her wandering around a ruddy great car park trying to find the car that 'beeped'!)

Ok so I guess that some of this could have been on my record but it made me feel that I was valued and that nothing was going to get in the way of me having a nice relaxing time.

Sometimes the little things can make such a massive difference

I think the fact that it was on your record shows they care about offering something special.

One of the hardest things surely must be offering a consistently good service. I go every week to the same salon ... it is so easy to get over familliar with a client like me and to take one for granted and then perhaps not to be consistent and to under deliver on occasion; this has honestly never happened to me with the girls who look after me. They mix it up and make it a nice (more than nice) experience every time. One time a glass of champagne .. home made biscuits with coffee ... a free trim or sometimes a complimentary gorgeous head massage (almost every week in fact). They remember that I never have conditioner of any kind and I use a special shampoo and that info is always passed on plus my appointments are put through always and I am accommodated at good times even when there are fiestas, xmas etc.

One may say that I should expect good service but in my experience, the longer one is a client, the more a salon can take that for granted and sometimes mess one about .They never do that with me; I really appreciate that and they me.

I think to offer a consistently good service and to maintain professionalism at the same time is a very hard road to walk .... my hat is off to all at Peluqueroia Georgette in Moraira, Costa Blanca, a perfect example of how it should be done.

This is awful and possibly a true view of the majority (not all) of UK salons, but I honestly cannot think of anything outstanding.

Of course most salons staff are very lovely and some a bit posher than others, so you get the little luxuries like fresh coffee etc. However, outstanding or memorable? I'm afraid not. xxx

Of course most salons staff are very lovely and some a bit posher than others, so you get the little luxuries like fresh coffee etc. However, outstanding or memorable? I'm afraid not. xxx

Maybe some nice person will recount a lovely experience with you, Kimmie!! I'm
sure ther are many who could. :hug:

Last edited:
I like this thread and think it carries on from the one i started about what annoys us. Its good to get feedback, both neg and positive. i have to agree with Kim, i cant remember ever having an outastanding personal experience. a fantastic back massage but not outstanding. :( xx

For me its my hair stylist always remembers a medical issue and discretely passes that information to his collegue before my shampoo. That means a lot to me, especially as in the past I've had varied reactions from carelessness to abject horror as its pretty unusual.

anne xx

Last edited:
I've not had an outstanding experience, but i've not had many treatments so don't have much to compare.

I try to think about things that make me feel special and watch the other girls and see what their clients love about them.

The little things make such a difference;
- Asking if you'd like a coffee, but remembering how you have it.
- Giving you their own umbrella if you've had your hair done and its raining.
- A smile and greeting even if they are busy.
- Remembering things you have spoken about in previous appointments, if i've told them i'm going on holiday, i appreciate if they remember this the following week, rather than same conversation again.
- knowing when to talk and when to be quiet

Of course a good treatment is important, but the little things make it outstanding.

I went on a girly spa day once and had a lovely back massage....it was amazing but what really stuck in my mind was the fact that i fell asleep :lol: and she left me there....she put a blanket over me and just left me to snooze away...no rushing to get me out the door...(which i would have understood) she said i looked so peaceful she didn't like to disturb me so left me for about 30 mins then came and woke me up with a lovely cuppa. She knew i was there for the day anyway and it just made the whole thing for me.

The best experience I ever had came from my Eve Taylor training where Chris Taylor himself personally went out and brought us back our lunch (all from M&S) there was more than plenty to go around and extra bits and pieces like orange juice, apple juice, fresh fruit and also chocolate :)

The car park outside was a pay at the meter one and i only had enough change to see me until 12 so Chris Taylor himself took my car keys and went downstairs and paid for my parking as well as popping the ticket in my car.

Also at the end of the training on the 2nd day he had a chat with all of us and stayed half an hour at the end to chat away to me about business.

He was fab! and whenever I email him with questions he always emails back quickly

Unfortunately i haven't recieved any memorable experiences from beauty salons other than bad ones :(

Maybe some nice person will recount a lovely experience with you, Kimmie!! I'm
sure ther are many who could. :hug:

Aww Geeg.....I'm feeling the love baby doll. If you and I were gay, I'd ask you to join me in a civil ceremony. xxx

This is awful and possibly a true view of the majority (not all) of UK salons, but I honestly cannot think of anything outstanding.

Whilst I do not question your response Kim I do find it very sad.

Do people not want to go that extra mile any more?

I think this is why I wanted to work for myself as I find that many employees can become complacent, especially when being given a crap salary or working conditions so I understand why. As I'm working for myself I really try to up my game, mainly learning from my own salon experience.

I just think it's very sad that the thread about bad experiences has more comments that this one.

I have bben to many hair salons and the one I remember most was the complimentary head massage after the shampoo - it was heaven! And, it ensured I booked in again :lol:
Unfortunately, I think that just as it is easier to remember and believe negative comments you receive about yourself than positive ones, we find it easier to recall negative experiences that we have encountered rather than positive ones.
I haven't been in that many beauty salons but I remember going for a massage in a hotel in Scotland and although it was the last appt of the day the therapist didn't rush me and left me to doze for a bit afterwards. Utter bliss - and as a hotel guest and with a very english accent to boot she knew it was just a one-off appointment.

I have been to a few beauty salons and a couple of spas over the years but there is nothing really that springs to mind where I thought the treatment or experience was beyond what I expected.

However, on a visit home to Glasgow a couple of years ago, I went to get my hair done and whilst waiting for my stylist, a young junior came over and asked if I would like a complimentary shiatsu head massage. It was heaven and even though it only lasted about 10 minutes it was such a lovely extra that it set the salon head and shoulders above other salons.:) I think I need another wee visit home and another hair cut!:)

What a lovely thread, but isnt it sad that some people havent had any outstanding service? I must say that my hairdressers are wonderful and all of the other girls welcome me by name when most of them have never even done my hair. They always remember our previous conversations and only ever show me retail that they know i will love but also are never pushy.
The beauty salon i go to is equally as proffecional and always go that extra mile, offering me free use of the sauna room or hidro bath if no one has booked them out.
A* service!

Kim, I must say that you do provide a fab service everytime!! The first time you have a wax with somebody you've never been to can be soooo nerve-wracking but I can honestly say that you put me totally at ease and gave me the best hollywood ever!!!!! I love how friendly you are and that you always remember all the little things that I talk you about.......even when I was always rambling on about men, or lack of them (although I need to update you on that situation:green:)

You truly are a fabulous lady Kimmy,and very talented. Oh and I'll be booking in straight after christmas with you!! xx

I think my best salon experience was at a salon that now has closed down sadly. They were lovely, friendly, warm and talented. nothing was too much trouble and when i went on my engagement break they lent me the nail polish i was wearing ( they couldnt get it in for me as it had been discontinued) in case i chipped my nails before the big event! I thought that was just lovely of them. It was called pinkie two in llandudno.

Unfortunately I cannot recall any ourstanding customer service at hair/beauty salons, which is a big shame just OK.. Recently I was given the wrong colour on my hair and I realised that my card had not been updated for 2 years!!! and I go every few months. I felt really undervalued as a client. However on a brighter note I had great customer service when I bought accessories for my fireplace. They got the order wrong but nothing was too much for them to put it right. I had what I ordered plus other stuff (about £170) all for free to make up for it plus phone calls to check I was satisfied. I was amazed at their desire to get it right.

It does make me think that those who go out of are way stick in our mind by far and that it usually costs us nothing to go that extra mile - something that is available to all to do.:)

this is a great idea for a thread... just trying to bump it up so more people will share their experiences.

i definetly think that keeping good client records leads to better service, especially when it's the little things that count.

i have a client who has a regular massage and disikes the "relaxing" music most salons and spas play... she told me this on her first appointment and from then on i made sure to always remember to switch it off before hand... i know it's not much but she seemed very pleased that i thought to remember.

personally i find the service at the hair salon i visit to be very good, lovely friendly girls who are very good at their job... but no amazing gestures spring to mind...

xo

If i had seen this 2 weeks ago i wouldn't of had anything good to say about salons, but i did last week at my hairdressers, was greeted by name and asked about an illness they remembered i had a while back and everyone was chatty and kept offering me a drink, although i have been going there 3 years and last week was the first time i felt they even knew i was a regular so maybe not so good :lol:

Latest posts

Back