Shellac- A long time to remove?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could be that the base coat is not Shellac. I recently had a client who had Shellac colour but different base coat......the colour came off in 10 minutes but the base coat did not budge! I ended up having to buff the base coat off.

Have a question, can alcohol be used instead of D-Sperse IPA Solution to complete the CND Shellac Manicure? I cannot find the DpSperse anywhere!!
Hi there,
I believe that our Shellac D-Sperse and D-Solve are only distributed in the UK, please someone correct me if I am wrong.
If you want to remove the inhibition layer, use IPA and for Shellac removal use pure acetone, not acetone polish remover.
Local wholesalers or product distributors will have this available to you.
We spend never more that 15 minutes on wrapping and removing, but the time you have wrapped all ten fingers, finger no1. is almost ready to come off.....Using wraps keeps the use of acetone down to a minimum, the clients body heat will help to speed things up, no messy sticky fingers to clean up afterwards either and great news for stock use you don't use as much lol xxxx
HTH

In my salon we use mani-quic soak off,you fill with warm/hot water...as a solvent works faster with heat.File over gel/gel polish to remove shine..place nails in ..fill with solvent/gel remover...10mins or so it,s off..acrylics about 30/40mins....time is money!!!

It could be that the base coat is not Shellac. I recently had a client who had Shellac colour but different base coat......the colour came off in 10 minutes but the base coat did not budge! I ended up having to buff the base coat off.

Yes that is a possibility, or the base coat could have been applied to thick or the Shellac has been on for lot longer than the 14 days. The Acetone has then work a bit harder to aid removal.
Some Technicians I have found by doing a bit of research, don't always use the Shellac as a system... they will use base coat XYZ and top coat XYZ under and over the Shellac. This means you are not getting a true CND Shellac service but a mishmash... longer removal time and top coat needs buffing to break the seal..... If its doesn't say CND Shellac on all the bottles than you are not getting a true Shellac service xxxxx

Just some thoughts xxxx

In my salon we use mani-quic soak off,you fill with warm/hot water...as a solvent works faster with heat.File over gel/gel polish to remove shine..place nails in ..fill with solvent/gel remover...10mins or so it,s off..acrylics about 30/40mins....time is money!!!

Absolutely time is money, that why I love Shellac, there is no need to pre-buff the top coat. The acetone moves through tiny tunnels down to the base coat and the quick release polymers do their funky stuff.... quick releasing it all from the nail in minutes. Shellac is not a gel, but a polish that has staying power, its closer in likeness to removing polish rather than gel, that's why we don't soak in a bowl, we would take polish off that way. I just wanted to clarify that, so we don't get confused with Gel Polish removal and Shellac removal.
Now back to my Voddy and Orange....... glass anyone????

I use the Shellac remover wraps or the magic wraps and d-solve to remove Shellac. Quick and oh so easy it really does soak off in ten minutes. I just think soaking off in a bowl is a waste of remover, as too much is used and you only need a small amount when you remove with the wraps. I remove L&P this way also.:)

I wonder if maybe the Base and Top coat could be a different brand just refilled in the Shellac bottles. It shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes if it truly Shellac. Sorry I'm sure it's frustrating for you.

Ive only been doin shellac two weeks now and removed a clients shellac I did two weeks ago I left the wraps on for about fifteen mins as I was busy with another client when I removed the wraps there was still quite a bit still on the nail and had to scrape it off with orange stick. Is this normal? X

Ive only been doin shellac two weeks now and removed a clients shellac I did two weeks ago I left the wraps on for about fifteen mins as I was busy with another client when I removed the wraps there was still quite a bit still on the nail and had to scrape it off with orange stick. Is this normal? X

Yes.

I myself don't like the word scrape as it sounds harsh and deliterious to the nail :lol:. Shellac flakes off quite easily when you just lightly run the orangewood stick over the surface.

If you leave the wraps on for too long, the Acetone may evaporate and the Shellac may start to go hard again. I always just leave on for 10 minutes 8just as CND recommend) and I find it is actually easier to remove than if I leave it longer. Don't be stingy with the acetone either ... you need enough in the wrap to penetrate all 3 layers.

Thank u. I didn't mean to say scrape lol. It least I know i was doin it right xx

Hi Sarah, if you've seen fingernailfixer's videos, that's how she does it. HTH! :)

I just had one, a new client who is convinced she is wearing 'Shellac' but she's not, it didnt budge, i was waiting ages and kept checking, its like cement, client said she very happy with them and they lasted weeks, i couldnt spend anymore time trying to remove something that wouldnt be removed (unless i now started buffing) i just asked her to go back to where she had them done to be removed first, i asked her if her natural nails are okay then, she said yeah their great, i said so why are you here? she said i just wanted to try the 'Shellac' ( i dont understand, you told me you were wearing Shellac) ive only just told you that its NOT Shellac, hmmm !
she informed me that usually to remove it takes a soak and place on heated pads.
Tell me does the 'fake' shellac do any harm that we know of ?
its awkward though, the place where she has them done is near me, so i chose my words carefully, but they have got a habit of doing fakes

Tell me does the 'fake' shellac do any harm that we know of ?
its awkward though, the place where she has them done is near me, so i chose my words carefully, but they have got a habit of doing fakes

One of the reasons why clients love Shellac is because it can be soaked off in minutes and doesn't damage the natural nail.

I have a whole new clientèle because of Shellac and most of them are natural nail clients, they have no interest in gels and they do not want their natural nails filed/buffed.

Unfortunately there are a lot of fakes out there at the moment, or Techs using gels and telling their unsuspecting clients that it is Shellac, when clearly it isn't.

Nothing soaks off as fast as Shellac, so they may be using a soak off gel or fake Shellac (who knows what is in that), but it will take a LOT longer to soak off and they will also have to buff the natural nail, which can cause damage to the nail plate if not done correctly.

In my opinion, if these Nail Techs are that unscrupulous to tell their clients that they are having Shellac when they aren't, then I can also imagine they would not be trained to buff a natural nail without causing damage!

Im so glad you answered Angel, ive been feeling strange all morning about that, something didnt feel right with the way she spoke and things, she said she's going to have it removed then come back to me, but i dont want her to come back, (just a gut feeling about her)

Im so glad you answered Angel, ive been feeling strange all morning about that, something didnt feel right with the way she spoke and things, she said she's going to have it removed then come back to me, but i dont want her to come back, (just a gut feeling about her)

Yes sounds a bit fishy all right... you're right to go with your gut instinct, my guess is, she's trying to get some free training from you! :|

Latest posts

Back