Shellac- A long time to remove?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bespoke_eyelash

Reaction score
I have my nails done every 2weeks and it takes the girl at-least 30minutes to remove the Shellac.

I decided to buy Acetone and DIY to see if it would speed up but there wasn't a difference.

While my nails were soaking, I read the Shellac poster ... 'removes in minutes (no,really!)' and wondered is this just something my technician is not good at? Or does it actually take longer than 10minutes?

I am still going to do a Shellac course however this is the one thing which sticks in my mind!

-B.E xoxo

How does she remove them? It really should only take 10 minutes!
You should either use the cnd remover wraps or soak cotton wool in acetone and wrap it round your finger using foil.

She could be putting the base coat on too thick. If it is on too thick it can lengthen the removal time.

Sounds like to me she uses another product but sells it as Shellac. I've had numerous new clients say "No it's Shellac" but when I show them my bottle they're like "oh no it didn't look like that"

Some techs are selling shellac as a service and not an actual product. Same thing that happened when Solar nails came out.

Shellac removes in 10 minutes. 12 if it's overly thick. I have never had true Shellac take 30 minutes to remove.

Sounds like to me she uses another product but sells it as Shellac. I've had numerous new clients say "No it's Shellac" but when I show them my bottle they're like "oh no it didn't look like that"

Some techs are selling shellac as a service and not an actual product. Same thing that happened when Solar nails came out.

Shellac removes in 10 minutes. 12 if it's overly thick. I have never had true Shellac take 30 minutes to remove.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Me too... if it's not soaking off in 10 minutes or less then it's not Shellac.

Even if the base was applied quite thick, I still can't see it taking 30 minutes to remove.

Have a look at this video to see what you should be looking out for and hopefully it will help others to spot fake Shellac... It was made by Mizzy_dizzy

ceriShellacvid1 - YouTube

Definitely the real stuff she has the same things as on the video, I even took a pic of all her colours.... Next time I will time it and question why it takes so long.. Sorry the pink pic is a bit blurry!

I used cotton drenched in acetone, wrapped foil and sat and waited 10mins, took it off and it was still pretty hard. I thought maybe my acetone wasn't good.

What she does, is soak my nails in a small bowl of acetone for 10mins, then starts scraping them off with an orange stick :( then repeats until all has gone.

Well I'll try someone else and if the paint comes off in 10mins, if so then the other girl is doing something wrong... I will update in 2weeks!

Thanks all!

Xoxo

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1315667266.242373.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1315667266.242373.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 241
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1315667551.807320.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1315667551.807320.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 210
Definitely the real stuff she has the same things as on the video, I even took a pic of all her colours.... Next time I will time it and question why it takes so long.. Sorry the pink pic is a bit blurry!

I used cotton drenched in acetone, wrapped foil and sat and waited 10mins, took it off and it was still pretty hard. I thought maybe my acetone wasn't good.

What she does, is soak my nails in a small bowl of acetone for 10mins, then starts scraping them off with an orange stick :( then repeats until all has gone.

Well I'll try someone else and if the paint comes off in 10mins, if so then the other girl is doing something wrong... I will update in 2weeks!

Thanks all!

Xoxo

I think what she's doing wrong is not using the nail wraps. I am new to shellac so please forgive me if I am actually wrong. But the nail wraps would keep the heat in which I assume helps the acetone to work faster hence the quick ten minutes. Soaking them in a bowl is not what my shellac training taught me and I think this is why she's taking so long. Seems like she's trying to save money buying wraps or maybe if she hasn't done training she doesn't know these are available. I suppose you cool say you were watching videos online and her removal is different or something?

I hope I'm right and hope that helps :) x

Xoxo

Acetone is Acetone and although there are different brands, they are usually more or less the same (unless you use industrial acetone which would probably strip your skin off with it ;))

I don't see any top or base coats in your pictures (I'm just curious as to why you even have pics of her Shellac rack)

If you soaked with Acetone using cotton and foil they should not be hard in the slightest... I'm sorry, but something is not right here... maybe she's using the Shellac Colours, but using a base and top coat from a different system?

Shellac is so fast to release from the Nail and would be very soft, even after about 2 or 3 minutes!!

Thanks all!

Xoxo

It still might not be the original Shellac products, as there are imitations out there that look so good you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Unless its bought from the legal UK stockists such as sweetsquared, Ellisons and Creative academy + then you can't be sure your getting the real deal. Shellac should only take 10 mins to remove even if it has been applied to thickly. hth:)

I removed my CND Shellac nails put by using: Regular Police Remover, cotton balls soaked in remover and wrapping each nail in foil. It took about 10-15 minutes to remove the polish. I then used an orange stick to push off the remainder. Very easy to do and not 30 minutes.

Have a question, can alcohol be used instead of D-Sperse IPA Solution to complete the CND Shellac Manicure? I cannot find the DpSperse anywhere!!

Have a question, can alcohol be used instead of D-Sperse IPA Solution to complete the CND Shellac Manicure? I cannot find the DpSperse anywhere!!

Yes you can use Isopropyl Alcohol

Yes you can use Isopropyl Alcohol

Absolutely. But it needs to be 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, or you won't get Shellac's full glorious shine!! :)

Acetone is Acetone and although there are different brands, they are usually more or less the same (unless you use industrial acetone which would probably strip your skin off with it ;))

I don't see any top or base coats in your pictures (I'm just curious as to why you even have pics of her Shellac rack)

If you soaked with Acetone using cotton and foil they should not be hard in the slightest... I'm sorry, but something is not right here... maybe she's using the Shellac Colours, but using a base and top coat from a different system?

Shellac is so fast to release from the Nail and would be very soft, even after about 2 or 3 minutes!!

I took a pic of her colours as I was waiting and couldn't decide what I wanted, so I text my shellac loving friend to ask which ones she used as she couldn't identify by name.

The top and base coat were on the table while she was doing another ladies.

I think soaking them in the bowl is the problem.

I'll see what happens when I go to a new lady in a different location :)

Hi,
I'm new to the whole industry, I have recently started using Gellux and have great difficulty in removal, because of this I have been looking into feedback on this kind of system and have found in general most people claiming that removal is longer than the company states.
On reading this thread it's seems Shellac doesn't take that long. Does anyone have any input on this as to the experience people have had with these products?
Thank You

Shellac should be wrapped off and NOT soaked off.
I have found D-Solve the fastest and most effective remover ... normal product remover will not do the job as quickly. Why not use it? The job is done in ten minutes ... really ! SHELLAC IS NOT A GEL.

I think soaking them in the bowl is the problem.

I'll see what happens when I go to a new lady in a different location :)

I don't think it's soaking in the bowl that is the problem. I do my OWN nails like that (can't wrap them to save my life) and I can usually get Shellac off in under 10 mins.

My question (and I only ask because been there; done that when I first started out, years ago) are you sure she is using ACETONE and not polish remover? That would make HUGE difference!

Hope you can get it sorted! :)

Thanks all!

Xoxo

You say here your soaked for 10 mins and then she scrapes it off....?? So are you soaking for 10 minutes or 30 minutes I'm confused ? Either way I'm sure that your nail technician would prefer you ask her directly why it is taking so long to soak off...i know I would if you were my client.

Does your appt last 30minutes or are u soaking for 30 mins? I am mobile and allow 30 mins for setting up, wrapping, soaking and then pushing off, packing up, re booking and payment. Never need to wrap for longer than 10 mins but always use d-solve.

Latest posts

Back