Shellac and Gelish - Real Deal??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The onus is not on S2 to pursue sellers who deal in the "grey market" goods it's the manufacturers, as in the case of tesco selling Levi's.

Levi felt that the tesco brand would cheapen their product therefore making it less desirable, so they successfully sued them in order to stop them from selling their products,

Just a thought, if we buy our supplies from these unauthorised sellers are we ourselves not cheapening our chosen brands that we paid our hard earned cash to train in?

Are some people not on here already moaning on & on every day about problems they are having with their products did they get them from someone selling them cheap because they were re-called stock? Were they sent from abroad & not stored correctly? are they fake (fakes have turned up on some wholesalers in the past)

The only way to be sure is to buy from the official distributer, we all like a bargain it's true but quality costs so we need to price accordingly.

Do we save money on these cheaper products if there is service breakdown & we need to do the same client again but for free this time ? I may be wrong but I don't fancy working twice as hard because I bought cheaper products & that goes for any brand not just CND.

Xx

i wholly agree.. :O)

That may be so .. but when things start to go wrong and the product is not performing as it should, who will the people buying from unauthorised sellers go to to get support.. as i know Harmony (gelish etc) and am sure S2 will not give support unless it is the genuine product..

i know for a fact hand and nail harmony do check on who is selling their brand and they do deal with this in a legal manner.. and am sure S2 do as well..

Sarah xxx

Well lets hope they do then, but from the previous post it seems like its not worth there while...

as stated... its the genuine products (just bought overseas) so why should there be problems? also those people can come on here and get all the info they need re support.

Well lets hope they do then, but from the previous post it seems like its not worth there while...

as stated... its the genuine products (just bought overseas) so why should there be problems? also those people can come on here and get all the info they need re support.

Am sure that the lovely Geeg has mentioned in a previous post that buying from overseas also incurs greater cost.. postage, customs fees allsorts so i am not even going there on that one.. up to that person i guess..

and yes we all come here for support in one way or another.. but there nothing like training to tackle most problems in the first place.:O)..

In Chicago, I always went to my guy who I consider a NSS wholesaler because majority of the shoppers there are NSS salon owners. But I can guarantee he legally obtained his goods and they were legit. He offered warranties on his salon equipments and exchanges and refunds for defected products. He also isn't open to the public. You have to have a training school student i.d. or nail license to shop there.
Here in the UK, my only choices are to buy from s2 or Sally's because I can trust them. I'd be too scared to buy anything major from an unknown wholesaler mainly because if anything were to go wrong, I don't think they'd let me exchange or give me a refund. That's why I posted earlier to make sure you know them or else it's pretty much like buying from eBay.

Last edited:

No ... They can't. The support here is nothing like the support one would get from a good supplier ... Perhaps you do not understand what I mean by support.

Also it is not up to S2 but the the manufacturers to go after these people ... Duh? s2 have spent days of time closing down eBay sellers where they can but we would rather be spending our time and money doing things for our customers rather than putting out silly little fires.

Basically you have no understanding at all of the things you are talking about. No idea of the complications legally or the money it takes to fight ... Much easier to glibly say, " it seems like it is not worth their while" ... You have no idea at all what we have done.

Happily there are far more people who want to do things ethically than there are those who do not and those who do not will never make a penny in this climate or any other until they can learn to invest in themselves and their future. These messers have no love or passion for what they do ... No idea of professionalism or what it takes to run a successful business .. They just want to take advantage of an industry that is thriving despite the recession, and continuing to grow and STILL they can't make a go of it. They want the cheapest education and the cheapest products and you cannot run a successful business like that. Talent is also important! The laws of attraction apply ... Use that mind set and you will never get anywhere.

Last edited:
IBUK said:
The thing is, I have bought defected products. They were purchased from authorized distributors. Sometimes you get a bottle from a bad batch. It happens. When purchased from an authorized distributor you can easily exchange it for a better one or get a refund. When buying from a questionable dealer, I doubt you'd get customer support from the maker of the product. In the long run if you end up getting a bad batch, you'll end up spending more having to buy a replacement after buying the defected one.

The thing is, I have bought defected products. They were purchased from authorized distributors. Sometimes you get a bottle from a bad batch. It happens. When purchased from an authorized distributor you can easily exchange it for a better one or get a refund. When buying from a questionable dealer, I doubt you'd get customer support from the maker of the product. In the long run if you end up getting a bad batch, you'll end up spending more having to buy a replacement after buying the defected one.

suppose thats the risk people take, no idea, maybe it still works out more cost effective in the long run - the NSS salons seem to outnumber the other salons handsdown in my area.

Anyways thank you for your input in a professional and well mannered way - seems like resorting to insults is a must for others

it was a simple question of how comes they had the genuine article at a cheaper price? For asking that question I'm apparently, stupid, ignorant, unprofessional, greedy and whatever else... you've got to laugh really - Im done... going back to my unthriving business thats on the brink of closing down and will never be a success even though I actually buy my products from S2 and Nail Harmony :irked:

Absolute bollockers! Legal distributors do not overcharge just because those obtaining products illegally charge less ... What stupidity! Talk about having distorted values.

I can buy Louis Vuitton or any other designer lable bag i want cheaper from a guy in Liverpool who steals to order, but I don't. I'm not ashamed to be legit and I make great money doing nails thanks, and at the legal prices for the imported products in Brittain. My products cost me 13% of my service price? What's your excuse? My guess is you do not even know what percentage of your prices that your products represent!

Messers have to cheat .. People who do hobby nails cheat ... Cowboys cheat ... People who are not insured nor pay their taxes cheat ... If the cap fits wear it ... Those doing great work with thriving businesses do not have to cheat or buy from dodgy sellers.

And I'm seriously rude? What a joke.

I pay my taxes, i am insured with ABT, know my business INSIDE OUT and also am a Creative Grand Master trained technician who purchased all her products direct from CND. So yes - ill wear the "worked very hard, and DAMN good at my job cap" thanks.

I am merely pointing out that if I could find my GENUINE product at a less cost then I would - and if you wouldn't do the same then your clearly not as business savvy as you like to think. Don't judge peoples financial situations when you know nothing about them. I earn a fantastic wage from my job - and cut no corners doing so. But I think it's unecessary to labelled a "messer" by someone who's meant to be highly thought of in the nail industry? But then again, your opinions don't really mean a great deal to me after now.

IBUK said:
suppose thats the risk people take, no idea, maybe it still works out more cost effective in the long run - the NSS salons seem to outnumber the other salons handsdown in my area.

Anyways thank you for your input in a professional and well mannered way - seems like resorting to insults is a must for others

it was a simple question of how comes they had the genuine article at a cheaper price? For asking that question I'm apparently, stupid, ignorant, unprofessional, greedy and whatever else... you've got to laugh really - Im done... going back to my unthriving business thats on the brink of closing down and will never be a success even though I actually buy my products from S2 and Nail Harmony :irked:

Hun, never compare yourself to an NSS salon. It's like comparing Whole Foods to Walmart. I've been in the NSS scene and I can tell you it's quantity over quality and the only one making all the money is the owner, not the techs. I think most of us are struggling at the moment, and some like myself, have taken on a part-time job. The best thing to do is offer quality service with reliable products. If we all spend more time improving our skills to make sure they are of satisfactory quality and not worry about what the NSS down the street charges and are doing, people will come. The right clients will pay whatever you charge if it's worth it.
And one thing to remember about SG is never take anything here to heart as its easy to create a sarcastic tone with written words, but instead take into account the advice being given. There are some great geeks here with loads of experience, and the fact that they've taken the time to read our posts and give free input is pretty cool. I've learned brutal honesty is better than kind lies.

Last edited:
Oh please ... I haven't directed a single name to anyone in particular and you know it. Just talked in general about people with few if any ethics. People know if the cap fits them or not.

I think my business record is there for all to see and I have never bought a single product cheaper from any distributor other than authorised ones. Not one thing I have said has been untrue ... Whether or not one agrees with me is irrelevant. If you want to argue black is white for the sake of it then be my guest.

I have explained how it is from a background of knowledge. Many have posted in this thread with no knowledge at all, and no ethics at all. If one wants to buy dodgy goods from illegal suppliers then be my guest. But don't try to claim that it is right or justified to do so. It's no more right or ethical than to buy stolen goods to order. If that's OK with you then agin, be my guest.

Hun, never compare yourself to an NSS salon. It's like comparing Whole Foods to Walmart. I've been in the NSS scene and I can tell you it's quantity over quality and the only one making all the money is the owner, not the techs. I think most of us are struggling at the moment, and some like myself, have taken on a part-time job. The best thing to do is offer quality service with reliable products. If we all spend more time improving our skills to make sure they are of satisfactory quality and not worry about what the NSS down the street charges and are doing, people will come. The right clients will pay whatever you charge if it's worth it.

I know I know, its a little difficult when customers keep saying "but its only this much at the other place"... sometimes it just wears you down lol

I opened my salons as when the recession started, they were making lots of people redundant where I work so I wanted something to fall back on... sods law I wasn't one of the people so now I have 2 kids, work as a manager in the worlds largest & most successful investment bank and have 2 salons. As yet I havent been able to give up my main job and I currently do a 6/7 day week, but you gotta do what you gotta do :cry: :D

It may not look posh or fancy but the quality is excellent. Depends on whether or not you are snobby about where you shop! You go try it and the laugh at those who just HAVE to do M&S or Waitrose! For your standard things that you get every week it is great and you will save and can laugh at those who want to buy stolen and illegal goods for their business but then pay over the odds for items they do not need to! :D

I take exception to this. Think about it. It is really very similar to the "Authorised" or "Non-Authorised" wholesaler situation.

Waitrose/John Lewis pay their staff a very decent salary:
Lidl pay mininum wage.

Waitrose/John Lewis share their profit with their staff every April:
Lidl don't.

Waitrose/John Lewis have a pension scheme not even matched by the public sector in the UK, and staff benefits and discounts unmatched by any private company in the UK.
Not sure about Lidl pension scheme, but I highly suspect not at generous and there is no way they have the benefits or discounts that match JL.

Waitrose/John Lewis spend £Millions on advertising
Lidl put cheap as chips flyers through my door occasionally

Waitrose/John Lewis shops are clean, well lit, roomy isle, nice displays and great customer service.
Lidl none of those things i.e. "it doesn't look fancy".

Gigi, you can't argue in one instance that we should support the top of the range supplier, and on the other hand support the lowest.

As much as I want to support the "authorised dealer", if a "non-authorised dealer" is selling authentic goods cheaper I will be attracted to them. Much the same as you are prepared to go to Lidl rather than M&S or Waitrose for the same product. We all like a bargain as you have said.

Waitrose/M&S have understandably (because of reason cited above) much higher costs than Lidl - same argument you put for S2 against these illegal traders. Obviously Lidl are doing nothing "illegal", but personally I question why the "law" says only one company can legally import and distribute a particular product. Unfair laws are changed all the time eg. look at what Doreen Laurence managed to achieve, what we are talking about is minute compared.

Do you want all shops to be like Lidl? I suspect not. Do we want all nail suppliers to be the same as the shop the OP referred to? I suspect not. Do we want no competition or choice? I suspect not.

By the way it is late Saturday night and I have been to the pub, I have had more than a couple of drinks, so excuse any typos :D.

OMG why are people going on and on about other stores prices! i asked my friends uncle how he got so successful owning a nail supply store and he said making small profit is ok to him because you can sell more! so what make $2 profit over $5 profit but you end up selling out! always having demos and sales.. its just how you think if you are a retailer. stop being greedy and get smaller profit but more sales.

wow what a thread! I'm not going to repeat whats been said already, what i will say is this. . . insurance, insurance, insurance!

The fact of the matter is nobody knows where these bottles of 'shellac', 'gelish' or whatever are from. They could be old out of date stock, contaminated stock, literally stolen goods (i know of a salon who were broken into and had their shellac supply stolen), they could be goods bought from overseas, or they could be extremely convincing fakes. The point is, should you have a claim against you and its found to be that your product is contaminated, out of date or not what it says on the tin where do you think you would stand legally? Come on geekies please use your noodles :) i appreciate that for some its a struggle right now and i know as consumers in these hard times we have it rammed down our necks to hunt the bargain, but this is your professional business and I'm sure nobody wants to potentially risk harming your clients health or your own name for that matter.

I do believe in buying from the authorised distributor because i have peace of mind I'm getting the real deal, i know that my insurance is valid because I'm using genuine products and because i know i have the benefit of sales support, advertising, customer support and the list just goes on.

Believe me i could do with saving a penny or pound or two but as I've said already, not at the detriment to myself, my business or my clients. You really need to ask yourselves is saving yourself few quid worth the risk?

Gah sorry i have repeated what's been said already, couldnt help it lol!

Love n hugs all . . . Peace out ;)

Last edited:
I understand both points of view very well, but when you break it down to how much you save on a bottle of polish/gel polish from an unauthorised supplier versus the 'real deal' from Harmony/CND etc and how many services you will get from that bottle, it must break down to pennies per service, so..in my opinion...it's not worth it for many reasons as stated above, most of all peace of mind in case of problems..xx

OK I think this has gone far enough.

Points to take from this thread:

1. If it looks too good to be true, then trust me, it probably is!
2. If you see someone selling products below their distributor price and they are not the authorised distributor, then report them to the distributor - ie. tell S2 and Harmony
3. Follow the Geek Commandments and post as you would expect to be posted to.

Everyone seems to want cheap as chips when it comes to buying for their business, but when it all goes wrong who is it they want to go to for help to sort it out. If you dont support your authorised distributors then they wont be there when it all goes wrong for you with your potentially bought under the table products!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back