Shellac and Gelish - Real Deal??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IBUK

Reaction score
Stopped at the local NSS wholesale suppliers today to buy a polish rack. They were selling CND Shellac and Nail Harmony Gelish as well as CND and NSI L&P.

Was taken aback as hadn't been in there going on 2 years. Scrutinised the bottles as much as I could and they seemed genuine. Purchased a Gelish which I compared to our originals and could spot no differences.

I can't understand how they are able to sell this below what S2 and Nail Harmony sell it for??? Is there a discount when you buy in bulk? Otherwise surely they're selling at a loss which I really doubt.

If not S2, Ellisons or a Creative+ Academy it won't be genuine CND Shellac. They are the only authorised sub-distributors (I think the Scottish one is a Creative+ place but forget the name).

If cheaper then s2 its not genuine. I would suspect the same of Geliah if cheaper the NH.

Mat

You are probably right Fozzy, however, there is a chance that this supplier is importing genuine products direct from the US. Clearly S2 and Harmony are sole UK distributors but I am sure that wouldn't stop some iffy suppliers trying to get a piece of the action.

IBUK, I don't understand the term "NSS wholesaler" can there be such a thing??

Yes there are NSS suppliers. They sell a lot of questionable products. But some do sell genuine brands.

the nail supply store i go to is selling gelish color and TIO for $**** and if you buy 5 or more it $**** ! awesome huh and its the real thing its just theres a lot of competition and they said its on sale till they run out

Last edited by a moderator:
My only advice on buying from NSS wholesaler is, if you don't know them, don't buy from them, otherwise it's like buying off eBay. I knew my supplier from the states pretty well. When he buys from opi, essie, ect they usually give him a poster to hang on his walls that says he's an official supplier. I'm not sure if nail harmony does this, but the poster usually has a contact number or website in fine print on the bottom.

If not S2, Ellisons or a Creative+ Academy it won't be genuine CND Shellac. They are the only authorised sub-distributors (I think the Scottish one is a Creative+ place but forget the name).

If cheaper then s2 its not genuine. I would suspect the same of Geliah if cheaper the NH.

Mat

Not the case here in the U.S. The local discount nail supplier sells just about everything and lots of different companies. Just bought some Gelish there and it was only $**/bottle. Was kind of surprised at how low that price was. But Shellac they sell at the going rate here. So some things are cheaper, some are not. But they do say they will match anyone's price.

Stopped at the local NSS wholesale suppliers today to buy a polish rack. They were selling CND Shellac and Nail Harmony Gelish as well as CND and NSI L&P.

Was taken aback as hadn't been in there going on 2 years. Scrutinised the bottles as much as I could and they seemed genuine. Purchased a Gelish which I compared to our originals and could spot no differences.

I can't understand how they are able to sell this below what S2 and Nail Harmony sell it for??? Is there a discount when you buy in bulk? Otherwise surely they're selling at a loss which I really doubt.

I'm surprised no one has suggested you contact S2 to let them know about this!

Personally I will not buy professional products that don't come from the correct distributor. So my shellac comes from S2 or Ellisons.

I think I know of the NSS wholesaler your talking about. Hackney? I buy my opi polishes there. (almost £1 cheaper than my local wholesalers) I recently bought a salon size CND scentsations there.
But I wouldn't risk buying anything else. You don't know the shelf life, if they buy in bulk, how long have they had the products for?

Supplier was in Greenwich - as I said could spot no differences. Haven't tested it yet though. I've always gotten my OPI from them as considerably cheaper than Capitals where l also pick it up from.

Maybe juicylucy is right and it's from the US. Just yesterday one of our regulars told me she had tutti frutti at home. When I asked how, she said she bought it in the US and even offered to get me OPI as she gets it for $***

When you buy from these people, you are buying from a 'diverter' who is not licensed to sell those products into the territory where there is a genuine lisenced authorised distributor.

They are importing illegally,

not paying customs and Excise or tax,

and often shipping flammable products illegally.

They offer nil customer support when anything goes wrong,

they offer no continuity of supply,

they offer no education, they do no advertising on your behalf

They do not attend trade shows

... All the things your genuine supplier does.

You are buying 'fenced' stolen goods from a thief. If you are happy with that ????

When you buy from these people, you are buying from a 'diverter' who is not licensed to sell those products into the territory where there is a genuine lisenced authorised distributor.

You are buying 'fenced' stolen goods from a thief. If you are happy with that ????
That is a very valid point, you don't see it like that!
It's definatly opened my eyes! X

That is a very valid point, you don't see it like that!
It's definatly opened my eyes! X

I hope I've made a fair few valid points in the post above.

Thank you for having the clarity to see beyond the short term gain of a few quid.

Your genuine CND supplier has never taken a short term view of your business. We invest in your success as well as our own and do everything we can to help your business grow and flourish. We do not demand minimum orders .. We always have Sweet deals that help you to save IF you really run your business and keep up with what is going on with your genuine hard working suppliers you will find us there to help at all times. We ONLY sell to professionals and not your clients. I think we are worth supporting as we do things the right way.

Correct me if im wrong, but being the "authorised seller" does not mean it is illegal for anyone else to sell it does it????

Also they have a legitimate business as far as Im aware, not sure how you would know that they are not paying taxes etc? They've been open for years and it is not illegal to purchase from abroad. They may have a partner business in the US??? If they were such criminals I'm sure they would have been closed down by now???

The NSS 6 doors away from me has started doing Shellac and I assumed it must be fake but obviously I was wrong... they are able to undercut simply as they are able to get it cheaper. The end user is not going to care which supplier the salon bought it from.

Correct me if im wrong, but being the "authorised seller" does not mean it is illegal for anyone else to sell it does it????

Also they have a legitimate business as far as Im aware, not sure how you would know that they are not paying taxes etc? They've been open for years and it is not illegal to purchase from abroad. They may have a partner business in the US??? If they were such criminals I'm sure they would have been closed down by now???

The NSS 6 doors away from me has started doing Shellac and I assumed it must be fake but obviously I was wrong... they are able to undercut simply as they are able to get it cheaper. The end user is onot going to care which supplier the salon bought it from.

I will correct you because you are wrong. According to EU law you, for instance, are not entitled to import or legally sell Coca Cola as they already have a licensed distributor. Anyone who sells into that licensed territory who does not hold the license to do so is doing so illegally.

Also the USA distributors who are selling out of their territory which by contract they are not allowed to do are also breaking a contract which they have signed, which is a legal document.

Give me some credit that I know what I'm talking about. There are opportunists and greedy criminals everywhere and if they are breaking contracts as well as the law, then that is what they are. They are getting product they are not entitled to import and then not entitled to sell. We could spend hours and days and weeks trying to fight it ... so they get away with it. We feel that looking after our customers is nmore important. As long as you choose to support them and their illegal activities then they will carry on.

They could not sell the product as cheap as they do if they were paying the duty, import tax and shipping as flammable. No way. Nor offer the other services that we as legitimate suppliers and business partners do.

Professionals support legitimate suppliers. Messers (who are obviously also greedy opportunists) do not. Wait until you need support when something goes wrong and they ask where you purchased your goods. Good luck with that one.

Maybe the salon near to you is getting Shellac from the legal supplier quite legitimately ... and their costs are cheaper as their wages are less. You have no idea of how they break down their costs. Maybe they use Shellac as a lost leader?

Last edited:
What the hell is a nss suppliers correct me if I'm wrong but nss is a non standard salon....yes? So surely a nss wholesalers is a non standard salon wholesalers ......am I wrong?.

I would never buy from them what the hell.xxx

I don't know the ins and outs of the law regarding distribution rights. However the term "Sole UK Distributor" has always irked me as it seems so anti-competition.

One very large "Sole Distributor" in our industry makes an absolute mockery of the law by having their own retail website where they sell direct to the public. They directly sell to the public on QVC and I think they run retail franchises in some large deparment stores. They currently have a sale on their retail website where they are selling polish at the same price I can buy it from them wholesale!!!!! They clearly make far more retail profit on each item than I can, they are competing directly with me, but the law says as a UK resident I have to buy from them :(. Sorry, but if I can get genuine products of this particular brand cheaper, I will. They show me no loyality. Having said that, I have decided to no longer stock their products because of this exact issue. They need to decide if they are a wholesaler/distributor or a retailer. I do not understand how it is legal for them to be both.

I think it is a little unfair to call anyone trying to find the best deal for their business unprofessional, a messer or a greedy opportunist. :hug:

Actually my salons are nothing but professional and at the end of the day business is business. The poster earlier stated that Shellac sells in the US for $**** which is clearly less than half what I pay from S2.

Also since all my Shellac stock has come from S2 I'll have no problems with support along with the many NSS peeps as they'll just get all the support they need off of this website.

I think it is a little unfair to call anyone trying to find the best deal for their business unprofessional, a messer or a greedy opportunist. :hug:

Thanks JuicyLucy... Just plain rude...

Can someone answer my question so I know what the hell this post is going on about :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back