Shellac - anyone can do it apparently!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautymamma

Reaction score
Just had a text from a lovely regular shellac client telling me that her husband and kids had a bought her a uv lamp and shellac colours for Christmas!!!! She will now no longer require my services!!!!! Do u believe it - I'm fully trained and fully insured and been fully trained by the fab justice crick on how to use shellac.

Why oh why does everyone think any fool with pockets deep enough can do our job????? Am I right to be very very ticked off....???

Geeks thoughts would be appreciated xxxxx::sad:

I am trained in Gelish and even I cannot do a perfect manicure on myself so this lady has no chance! Its more than likely a knock of version too as surely you would need certs to buy from an authentic supplier...

Don't worry hun, when she does not get the lovely results you deliver she will be back. In the meantime keep doing what you are doing rise above it xxx

But we know its not going to be real Shellac with the CND lamp. Also how good is she at polishing especially using her wrong hand.

Could be a blessing in disguise proving that it isn't that easy with the real stuff never mind what 'Shellak" will be used.

Does irk though i know :rolleyes:

Vicki xx

She'll do them once, maybe even twice, it'll all be on ebay before easter.

I suspect she may be back to you soon, be polite in your response.

It is annoying, but I'm sure like the others have said, she will be back. We make it look easy because we are professionals :)
Rhiannon x

Thanks guys - u know when u just get so ticked off and have to vent - she follows me on Facebook so can't have a rant there!!!! Lorxxx :lol:

I have a client that has done the same... Is really annoying especially when they call you for help LOL!!!
Education, training & product knowledge is what holds us up against the messers and eBayites!
She will be back.... :)

People have bought polish for decades but clients have been going to salons for manicures for the same length of time! More and more people are having professional manicures done (far, far more than enhancements) but nail polishes sales are rocketing. In fact they sell faster than lipstick now!

The DIYers will always be DIYers but a lot of people know that they cannot paint their nails as well as a professional!

Unfortunately, a lot more people don't have a good experience in a salon because so many 'pros' will not pay for good training or bother to learn their trade.

I don't believe anyone needs worry about retails sales of products. It has happened for ever and salon trade is growing. Same for hairdressers with massive sales of home colour!

Just make sure you are far better at what you offer clients than they can possible do at home!

Let's face it, this will be the trend as gel polishes will be sold at any local store soon. Here in the U.S. Gelish is sold at Sally's Beauty Supply and Vicki Peters has started a company to sell a gel polish line at Wal-Mart, etc., not to mention what you can get online via Ebay, etc. And what is even more upsetting is when the public can get a UV lamp cheaper than we can!!! It is sad that nail professionals are selling us out, but it's about the almighty dollar, isn't it???

It is irritating when a client leaves to do their own, but maybe when they see it isn't that easy and their results aren't the same, they will be back. There will always be people who will do their own nails at home, just like any other beauty service. Sorry this happened to you! Hopefully you will get a better, more loyal client in the end. :hug:

Very very annoying..but will never ever look as good as we do it :) If they want to save them selves money then let them..

One of my very good friends who comes to me and i dont charge her full price went out and got herself a uv lamp off ebay and told me ha!! Saves me a bit of money i suppose! But very cheeky!

How horrible for you - chin up, carry on and she will be back! you will have the last laugh when she phones you up for help.

People have bought polish for decades but clients have been going to salons for manicures for the same length of time! More and more people are having professional manicures done (far, far more than enhancements) but nail polishes sales are rocketing. In fact they sell faster than lipstick now!

The DIYers will always be DIYers but a lot of people know that they cannot paint their nails as well as a professional!

Unfortunately, a lot more people don't have a good experience in a salon because so many 'pros' will not pay for good training or bother to learn their trade.

I don't believe anyone needs worry about retails sales of products. It has happened for ever and salon trade is growing. Same for hairdressers with massive sales of home colour!

Just make sure you are far better at what you offer clients than they can possible do at home!

I agree - should we maybe not worry about people doing uv gel polishing themselves at home. It is perhaps no different than people buying polishes themselves and painting their own nails versus going to a salon and having a professional manicure and polishing their nails.

However doing uv gel nails I believe is more difficult and problematic than normal polishing - so many may try themselves only to return to a salon.

The problem is when unqualified people are purchasing and offering this as a paid service and perhaps misrepresenting the products and their ability. There also needs to be clarity on any dangers involved with the general public performing uv gel treaments on themselves. One would assume that if it did in fact go mainstream, any responsible retailers would sort out any safety issues brought about by untrained people using it.(eg under/over cure perhaps)

Just a thought......

xx

smile sweetly and wish her the best. then wait for the call whne she cant do it or get it to last... in the meantime, get on with looking after the customers that DO value what you do for they are more important that this person and rest assured that she wont be able to do it anywhere near as good as you! .

tigi
xx

Just had a text from a lovely regular shellac client telling me that her husband and kids had a bought her a uv lamp and shellac colours for Christmas!!!! She will now no longer require my services!!!!! Do u believe it - I'm fully trained and fully insured and been fully trained by the fab justice crick on how to use shellac.

Why oh why does everyone think any fool with pockets deep enough can do our job????? Am I right to be very very ticked off....???

Geeks thoughts would be appreciated xxxxx::sad:

This sort of thing drives me up the wall. I think the fact that people think that every man and his dog can have a go is ruining our industry.

On the plus side, after some trial and error, hopefully she should realise that it's not as easy as it looks!

How rude of her to phrase her text in this way though. Urgh!

Don't worry im sure she will be back xx

I rarely have a rant but feel like having one now!

What is ruining our industry are those 'technicians' who will NOT pay for good and on going training! The 'messers' and the 'it looks easy, I can do it' and those that think a short course is enough without taking their craft seriously and making sure they know and learn as much as there is to know are what are ruining our industry! Just reading posts on here just shows how little so many 'professionals' actually know! It is frightening.

I think I can safely consider myself to be a professional but I work with the most powerful influences in the consumer market. I also regularly read the posts on this site. Every beauty journalist I know, every celebrity, every female that has ever experienced the services of a professional nail technician has a bad story to tell!! The questions and the answers I so often read on here demonstrates the lack of knowledge and understanding which could explain the bad experiences.

Instead of stressing on what the discount salon is doing or what is being sold in retail outlets or how much some amateur is charging concentrate on being better than anyone else! This takes investment both in time (learning and reading) and hard cash (as many great courses as you can find)

There are a very few brands who will always be pro only and who keep their faith in their customers while providing the best education there is (and we all know who that is!). There will also be others who have great products and good training who will end up selling retail. BUT they gave the first shot to their pro customers! What happens? Their 'pros' struggle and have problems!

The success of the professional industry is not about stopping discount salons, banning MMA, licenses or moaning about products being sold to anyone! Business is business. The only winners will be those who can do what they do better than those around them!

Take it from one who has fought this battle for years! Since 1987 as a professional and since 1996 in the most pressured and back-stabbing life as a nail technician there is!

I rarely have a rant but feel like having one now!

What is ruining our industry are those 'technicians' who will NOT pay for good and on going training! The 'messers' and the 'it looks easy, I can do it' and those that think a short course is enough without taking their craft seriously and making sure they know and learn as much as there is to know are what are ruining our industry! Just reading posts on here just shows how little so many 'professionals' actually know! It is frightening.

I think I can safely consider myself to be a professional but I work with the most powerful influences in the consumer market. I also regularly read the posts on this site. Every beauty journalist I know, every celebrity, every female that has ever experienced the services of a professional nail technician has a bad story to tell!! The questions and the answers I so often read on here demonstrates the lack of knowledge and understanding which could explain the bad experiences.

Instead of stressing on what the discount salon is doing or what is being sold in retail outlets or how much some amateur is charging concentrate on being better than anyone else! This takes investment both in time (learning and reading) and hard cash (as many great courses as you can find)

There are a very few brands who will always be pro only and who keep their faith in their customers while providing the best education there is (and we all know who that is!). There will also be others who have great products and good training who will end up selling retail. BUT they gave the first shot to their pro customers! What happens? Their 'pros' struggle and have problems!

The success of the professional industry is not about stopping discount salons, banning MMA, licenses or moaning about products being sold to anyone! Business is business. The only winners will be those who can do what they do better than those around them!

Take it from one who has fought this battle for years! Since 1987 as a professional and since 1996 in the most pressured and back-stabbing life as a nail technician there is!
Totally agree!!!

Tell you what, I will give you a choice, you can buy a colour in Boots for 8.99, or you can go to a cheapo salon for 50 quid and have some highlights and a cut from someone new qualified, or who doesnt speak English.
Or, you could pay a hundred quid and have bespoke colour and highlights, and a crafted precision cut and pro blow dry from me.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.:cool:

On the flip side I had 2 clients last week that are sisters & their other sister has been buying gelish & other gels off eBay & they both booked in with me because in their own words " there's no way she's coming near my nails when she's not trained!!"

On the flip side I had 2 clients last week that are sisters & their other sister has been buying gelish & other gels off eBay & they both booked in with me because in their own words " there's no way she's coming near my nails when she's not trained!!"

But that isn't the flip side! That is the point I'm making!!!!!

Latest posts

Back