Shellac... do you have any tips and tricks you'd like to share?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An*Gel

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I just did some fab Shellac toes for a client yesterday, I was inspired by the Moo Minx design, so basically did 2 layers of Cream Puff and then did the Moo design with BlackPool... my client was thrilled... very cool and funky! :)

Sometimes clients hit their nails on the bulbs and leave bits of product on the bulbs, so to get the best from your bulbs, remember to check to see how many hours you have left and when they get to 50 take them out, give them a dust and then turn them around... good as new again! (great tip from Holly)

If you are running out of Shellac, turn the bottle on its side and you'll be amazed at how much product you'll get out!

If you love the idea of layering your Shellac, but don't have colourpops to show your client the effect... simply apply the top colour on the side of the bottle of the base colour... try it by applying some iced coral on to the side of the blackpool bottle! (thanks to Anne Clarizio for that fab tip)

For those of you that miss the old rubber lids... you can buy a rubber grip from an office supply store and bingo!! (thank you deanosnana for that one)

OK, so there's just a few little tips (I'm sure I'll think of loads more) and I'm sure you have some more, so please share!! :hug:

These are great...thanks for sharing!

I do have a dumb question...how do I check how many hours are left on the lamp?

Thank you! :hug:

PS: is there a pic of your Moo design? I'd love to see it!

When I get a new bottle I swap over the new shiny lid for the old rubberised one - obviously keeping the colours the same.

When I've a client with peeling or weaker nails than normal I put an additional coat on to give them a little more strength ie: 1 base, 2 colour then 2 top. Works an absolute treat - sorted my Mum's nails out completely, she was a nightmare!

Karaxxx

I do have a dumb question...how do I check how many hours are left on the lamp?

Thank you! :hug:

Nana ... Just press the reset button and hold it down until a number flashes up .. QUICK!! remove your finger from the button!!! That number you see is the number of hours left in the bulbs. At 50 hours, I turn my bulbs over in the lamp.

If you hold that button down longer than you should .. the lamp will reset itself to zero and then you will not know how many hours are left so, do what I say above to avoid doing that. :hug:

I put my Shellac in a mini, dip sized, Crock-pot to keep it warm. It works wonderful! I put a small glass bowel inside for my Shellac bottles and pour water around it, this saves the labels from getting wet and possibly coming off.

I also Shellac my own nails, take a pic of the new design, THEN file the length. This way I can play with whatever design I want, but also have the length I want/need

I'm afraid not ... I couldn't find the charger for my camera!!

Is it just me or does everyone have about a million chargers in their house... ones for mobile phones, cameras, Portable DVD players, DS etc (drives me mad cause they all look the same) ...Maybe I should colour code them with Shellac :lol:

Nana ... Just press the reset button and hold it down until a number flashes up .. QUICK!! remove your finger from the button!!! That number you see is the number of hours left in the bulbs. At 50 hours, I turn my bulbs over in the lamp.

If you hold that button down longer than you should .. the lamp will reset itself to zero and then you will not know how many hours are left so, do what I say above to avoid doing that. :hug:

Thank you so much for that. :hug:

I was getting frustrated at how gloopy my large top coat was getting and read a thread about keeping it warm so I now keep it in one of the side chambers on the phd waxer which keeps it a lovely consistency. If I didnt do this then I would head up my wheat bag and use that. Love shellac 

What an excellent tip with the wheat bag, Im going to use this from now on as my top coat is getting thick!!

I stick a label on my chargers, around the wire so I know what they come from - saves loads of frustrating looking time LOL

Karaxxx

What an excellent tip with the wheat bag, Im going to use this from now on as my top coat is getting thick!!

I stick a label on my chargers, around the wire so I know what they come from - saves loads of frustrating looking time LOL

Karaxxx

Good idea.. I seriously need to do something as these charges are taking over! :lol:

If my top coat goes a little thick, I sit on it when my client isn't looking and it glides on beautifully! :)

This is a great thread! Love the warmer ideas. Helps ease the vigorous shaking! Lol and the two coat top coat for weaker nails.

Tip from me:

When your client is just not satisfied with the color range but they want longer wear than polish just do BOTH! Apply Clearly Pink shellac (2coats) and after removing sticky layer lightly remove the shine of the shellac with a high grit buffer block. Polish as normal (I use lumos for base and top and OPI for color) and bingo! I also always explain the difference between this service and using the Shellac color range. (stating that the polish will wear and dry like polish on acrylic) all clients are happy! :)

Also if you want to do hand painted designs apply desired shellac color service as usual. Lightly remove the shine of the top coat. Paint design. And top with quick drying Lumos top coat. Not the base as it will streak the design. Voila! Gorgeous works of art on their finger tips. I love painting over Shellac because correcting any mistakes are easy! ;)

Good luck Shellackers!!

Great day!!

Good idea.. I seriously need to do something as these charges are taking over! :lol:

If my top coat goes a little thick, I sit on it when my client isn't looking and it glides on beautifully! :)

I was doing my own the other day and popped them down my top to warm them up (I had a couple of top coats i wanted to check)... well I forgot I put them there until they fell out while getting undressed for the shower! :lol:

I was doing my own the other day and popped them down my top to warm them up (I had a couple of top coats i wanted to check)... well I forgot I put them there until they fell out while getting undressed for the shower! :lol:

That hapenned to me too. I actually took mine home from work in my bra and didn't realise until while getting undressed. :) Don't you just love shellac?

Great advice, thanks geeg

Not really a tip or trick with shellac but I have a couple of clients who can't wear colour at work (Nhs) I have found that if you remove with acetone free- you can use nail enamel over the top! Keeps it on for ages!!

Not really a tip or trick with shellac but I have a couple of clients who can't wear colour at work (Nhs) I have found that if you remove with acetone free- you can use nail enamel over the top! Keeps it on for ages!!

Do you mean you do their nails with base and top coat Shellac and then they can apply enamel at the weekend and take it back off again for work?.... that IS a great idea... clearly pink is lovely for this too, gives the nail that nice healthy look!

This thread is great :)

Any tips for warming shellac if your mobile? I do put ut between my thighs to warm but some clients look at me like im doing something dodgy...even though i explain lol x

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II

I have never warmed Shellac in my life .. It makes no sense to me .. This is totally not necessary with Shellac. Neither is buying shaking machines if you can be bothered to shake as normal fo 20 seconds or so.

Why do you all over complicate things? Shellac applies like polish. Shake the darned bottle, and apply it like polish. The only difference is it cures with a uv lamp.

I have never warmed Shellac in my life .. It makes no sense to me .. This is totally not necessary with Shellac. Neither is buying shaking machines if you can be bothered to shake as normal fo 20 seconds or so.

Why do you all over complicate things? Shellac applies like polish. Shake the darned bottle, and apply it like polish. The only difference is it cures with a uv lamp.
I've never had a nail polish and gloopy and gunky as the Shellac top-coat, even after shaking!

Latest posts

Back