Shellac on an 8 and 10 year old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done a few treatments in 7-11 year olds, all on regular clients children for the odd occasion. But most have said they prefer it to they're kids making a mess on their own nails or having chipped polish. I'm find about it but won't do any bright polished or nail art, just simple neat looking nails. One of clients did it to help her daughter stop biting her nails.

I checked with my insurers and sweet squared :) xxx

sorry cant upload pics for some reason but hello kitty is easy.
base. cure
nude col like clearly pink. cure
do a smile line halfway up nail (studio white). fill in white. cure.
then 2 blk dots for eyes, 3 stripes for whiskers each side, dot of tropix for nose and a red bow on ear. cure.
top coat. cure

my niece just said foils cos nobody else has them ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thanks very much for taking the time to write that for me :)

Thank you

I have done a few treatments in 7-11 year olds, all on regular clients children for the odd occasion. But most have said they prefer it to they're kids making a mess on their own nails or having chipped polish. I'm find about it but won't do any bright polished or nail art, just simple neat looking nails. One of clients did it to help her daughter stop biting her nails.

I checked with my insurers and sweet squared :) xxx

Il take that on board - who are you insured with please? If you don'tind me asking?

It certainly is Nancy. I'm a very very well educated and experienced nail professional and doctors in the UK do not advise against it.

All medical people have different opinions as we all know.
Put three in a room and they would all have a different opinion which is why so many of us seek more than one opinion in many many cases where a diagnosis is required.

What about the great Dr Oz in the States ... I understand he is some noted heart surgeon ... I would not be able to post my opinion of him!! lol Trash. He is a doctor and I wouldn't believe a word that came out of his sensational mouth. The most uninformed Doctor on the planet where nail products are concerned no matter how great a surgeon he is/was .. and too lilly livered to even debate with the experts in the field who do. Bah!

You, of course, missed my point and did not respond to the fundamental question. WHile the range of medical opinions can vary, there are facts that support good opinions. I don't like Dr. Oz and have said so repeatedly in this forum. He is a sensationalist and media whore. He has misrepresented both Gel products and UV in the most irresponsible way. That's why I said that the doctors I references were not like Dr. Oz and that they have put forward well reasoned arguments (arguments bolstered by the MSDS) against using gel products and enhancements on children. But even if your doctors did not advise against it, the manufacturers do. And from someone who is a stickler for following the manufacturers' instructions, this is a serious deviation from that principle.I may not know you, geeg, but I certainly know what you've said in this forum.

Moreover, this must be addresses in context. Polished nails are not a necessity, even for adults. Children are allowed to have dirty, bitten, pale nails. They are children! If we were talking acne or some other major ailment, that's different. But the benefit is minor and there are lots of other ways to achieve it - regular nail polish, buffing, etc. Some of our salons even use a water soluble polish made for children. And let us not forget that children wanting these things are a result of societal pressure as much as their own love for all things bright and colorful and adult.

Again, your professional decision. But a nail tech who did this is on her own in dealing with the consequences because she did not follow the manufacturers' instructions. Bottom line, when it comes to health and safety, especially of children, I take my advice from medical professionals (and the product manufacturers), not a nail tech, even an educated and competent one.

Last edited:
I have 3 girls. My eldest is 6 and she always asks for polish at school holidays... Quite frankly I got tired of polishing every day! So I did shellac on her and in tow came my 3 year old! My 6 year olds nails lasted 12 days! Because she didn't pick or play with it and she loved the responsibility of her solar oil pinky. I take full responsibility and had my girls look after their special treat! I don't see the harm at all! X

Oh the 3 year old lasted 3-4 days!

Sorry, I'm a little confused...?

Can someone explain to me what exactly are the 'health & Safety' issues regarding children wearing shellac..? Why is it 'dangerous'..? What part of the shellac service is not dangerous to a adult but dangerous for a child..? What are the health and safety advice that the medical professionals and product manufacturers has given..?

I don't recall any warning on the Shellac packaging saying it is not suitable for children..?

Latest posts

Back