Shellac on an 8 and 10 year old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter was just 11 when I first used gelish on her, she was a nail biter gelish helped her stop and now she has lovely nails and no need for gelish (only in school holidays). I will add though the longest she got out of gelish was a week. So I do feel that it is down to the individual as I'm quiet happy for my daughter to wear gel polish but never enhancements but that's just my opinion xx ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361007599.949226.jpg

I regulary shellac my 10 year old niece. at school she keeps telling people she wants to be a "CND nail tech".
she knows the ins and outs and tells off her mates for using rubbish nail files from "fashion shops" that they're too harsh. lol

i said from word go, yes she can have shellac in fun designs, she can choose what colours, glitters (even took her to creative academy plus to choose her own), she gets geniuene swarovskis, BUT ... she must solar oil after she brushes her teeth in morning and evening, NEVER pick at it and ALWAYS come to me for removal.

because she cares for them, her nails underneath are nice and healthy.

due to her age i use nail fresh to temporary dehydrate the nail plate before application, but she gets 14days wear despite being very active.

(ScrubFresh. NailFresh. Scrubfresh)

remember FingerNail fixers youtube vid on applying to shellac to short nails too x
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I put Gelish on my 9yr old niece & she's been fine with it.

As for clients, I'd check with my insurer, but think as long as parental consent was given you'd be ok.

I have however that said I will not put acrylics on children under 16, purely because I feel if they caught the nail it might cause serious damage & pain & I don't want to be partly responsible for it.

I do my little girls nails & my friends children too, as I work from a studio by my home sometimes my daughter pops in, she regularly asks my clients do you need more oil (she's nearly 4)!!! My friends children are very aware of brands they are 5 & 7, they know that shellac is good, and I feel they are now set for life and would never use & nss or a salon that uses a non rated brand. It doesn't happen every fortnight, just for birthdays, christmas or special occasions they love polka dots and had reindeer decals at christmas,
I don't feel that they are not growing up too quickly, as my friend would sometimes paint their toes at home it's what mums do, but the children have now asked her not too because she is too messy!

I've used shellac on my cousins nails - they're 10 and 15. Both for holiday last year, lasted the full 2 weeks they were away x

Thank you :)

I regulary shellac my 10 year old niece. at school she keeps telling people she wants to be a "CND nail tech".
she knows the ins and outs and tells off her mates for using rubbish nail files from "fashion shops" that they're too harsh. lol

i said from word go, yes she can have shellac in fun designs, she can choose what colours, glitters (even took her to creative academy plus to choose her own), she gets geniuene swarovskis, BUT ... she must solar oil after she brushes her teeth in morning and evening, NEVER pick at it and ALWAYS come to me for removal.

because she cares for them, her nails underneath are nice and healthy.

due to her age i use nail fresh to temporary dehydrate the nail plate before application, but she gets 14days wear despite being very active.

(ScrubFresh. NailFresh. Scrubfresh)

remember FingerNail fixers youtube vid on applying to shellac to short nails too x

Thank you! What designs would you recommend??

I put Gelish on my 9yr old niece & she's been fine with it.

As for clients, I'd check with my insurer, but think as long as parental consent was given you'd be ok.

I have however that said I will not put acrylics on children under 16, purely because I feel if they caught the nail it might cause serious damage & pain & I don't want to be partly responsible for it.

I do my little girls nails & my friends children too, as I work from a studio by my home sometimes my daughter pops in, she regularly asks my clients do you need more oil (she's nearly 4)!!! My friends children are very aware of brands they are 5 & 7, they know that shellac is good, and I feel they are now set for life and would never use & nss or a salon that uses a non rated brand. It doesn't happen every fortnight, just for birthdays, christmas or special occasions they love polka dots and had reindeer decals at christmas,
I don't feel that they are not growing up too quickly, as my friend would sometimes paint their toes at home it's what mums do, but the children have now asked her not too because she is too messy!

Haha!! Thank you :)

I will just add the 2 I did were because they were bridesmaids they did not look after them that is why they didn't last. Kids will be kids as they should be. I love shellac and use it all the time on adults with no problem xxxxx

I've done it on my own daughter & friends children from about the age of 6. Think only managed about a week to 10 days mind but I'm sure as the get older it will last longer. My 12 year old step daughter loves to have a french manicure as she can wear that for school too.

Here is a pic of my 5 year old grandson with shellac on his thumbs. He nipped my head until I done them for him. Lol. He was soooooooo chuffed with them. They lasted 8 days on him. All his wee pals wanted me to do different characters on thiers. mmmmmmm let me think...... Not a chance lol. I don't think there is anything wrong with kids getting shellac on for a treat. I would rather they got that on than draw on them with a pencil or a biro pen.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361017997.476729.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361017997.476729.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 186
My daughter was just 11 when I first used gelish on her, she was a nail biter gelish helped her stop and now she has lovely nails and no need for gelish (only in school holidays). I will add though the longest she got out of gelish was a week. So I do feel that it is down to the individual as I'm quiet happy for my daughter to wear gel polish but never enhancements but that's just my opinion xxView attachment 28344

Lovely thank you

Here is a pic of my 5 year old grandson with shellac on his thumbs. He nipped my head until I done them for him. Lol. He was soooooooo chuffed with them. They lasted 8 days on him. All his wee pals wanted me to do different characters on thiers. mmmmmmm let me think...... Not a chance lol. I don't think there is anything wrong with kids getting shellac on for a treat. I would rather they got that on than draw on them with a pencil or a biro pen.

Haha!! They're lovely!

Thank you for this thread guys!! I have a 6 year old daughter and she loves watching me shellacing my own nails but I never put it on her as wasn't sure if it safe enough or what would people think! Every time I put normal polish she messes it up in minutes as it takes a while to dry! So after reading your posts, I decided to do shellac for her today as she is now on half term! She is super exited!

Shellac lasts longer than polish if the child doesn't pick at it. It depends, just the same as with every client.

Shellac is. Not harmful and no work is done on the nail other than cuticle removal. The Shellac would be applied to non living Keratin and there is no medical reason why for a treat, it could not be worn as long as everything else is in place such as insurance and parents permission. I would say its no more risky than normal polish if applied by a professional and children have been playing with polish for years.

I am a professional .. which is why knowing my products as well as I DO, I know that no child's health is at risk from wearing a UV cured polish. I also fortunately do not live in a litigious society where every manufacturer goes way over the top to protect themselves from law suits. It's crazy .. even on the TV adds they list all the side effects and issue legal statements when advertising any kind of drug. Unbelievably boring.
It's become a way of life in the US to go to the law over the most minor of issues, so I'm thankful I have a good mind and can be professional in my recommendations. :)

That is your professional decision. Personally, I take my advice on the health and safety of children from medical professionals not nail techs. Those professionals advise against it. We're not talking crazy Dr. Oz here, but real pediatricians and dermatologists and their associations. One of the important aspects of being taken seriously as a professional is to take other professionals seriously as well. They have put forward logical and well-reasoned points on this matter and should not be pooh-poohed like that.

Geeg, I must confess, I find your position on this odd. You have always insisted that nail professionals follow the instructions of the manufacturers - use the right light, don't mix systems, etc. The manufacturers' instruction on this are clear - gels should not be used on children. I don't understand why you abandon that principle because now they don't comport with your views. And I think that as professionals advising others we must be upfront with other professionals - if you choose to do this, you are going against the advice of the manufacturers.

Last edited:
there you go, my 6 year old is sporting shellac rockstar

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361026787.161063.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361026787.161063.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 151
That is your professional decision. Personally, I take my advice on the health and safety of children from medical professionals not nail techs. Those professionals advise against it.

It certainly is Nancy. I'm a very very well educated and experienced nail professional and doctors in the UK do not advise against it.

All medical people have different opinions as we all know.
Put three in a room and they would all have a different opinion which is why so many of us seek more than one opinion in many many cases where a diagnosis is required.

What about the great Dr Oz in the States ... I understand he is some noted heart surgeon ... I would not be able to post my opinion of him!! lol Trash. He is a doctor and I wouldn't believe a word that came out of his sensational mouth. The most uninformed Doctor on the planet where nail products are concerned no matter how great a surgeon he is/was .. and too lilly livered to even debate with the experts in the field who do. Bah!

Last edited:
All medical people have different opinions as we all know. I'd like to see the case studies and controlled experiments that prove that UV nail polish is dangerous for the young.

Agreed, facts hold a great deal more weight than just opinions.

Agreed, facts hold a great deal more weight than just opinions.

Trust me, there are no facts. If there were, we would be seeing lawsuits and sensational stories and nail companies would be being sued left right and centre.

A product, applied to non living keratin, nowhere near a place where anything could enter the blood or circulatory system or involve the immune system fighting a foreign body/ies. WE are talking about the odd occasion where a young person might want to wear a bit of bling for an occasion for lord's sake. I would do it for my own granddaughters if they asked without hesitation or fear or even a tiny qualm of any harm coming to them.

My position is not odd; it is reasoned and logical. Nail companies only take the stance they do to protect themselves for insurance purposes and we all can understand that. I'm happy to follow until it makes no sense and the only sense their instruction (if there is such a thing) makes to me is that they quite rightly want to protect their businesses from crazy litigious people. I am not aware of any instruction from CND on any packaging that says not to be used on anyone under 14.

I have said all this in other posts and honestly do not feel like writing it all again as there is no need to say any more. I have come to my professional opinion through reasoned, logical and informed argument and I work with safe products and those products are in safe hands.

You don't know me, Nancy, if you think that being a professional means I am a 'yes man'! I promote what makes sense and for good factual reasons such as using systems etc because it is logical and it makes sense and the facts support doing so. When something does not make sense and there are no facts that support it, then I don't just roll over.

Last edited:
sorry cant upload pics for some reason but hello kitty is easy.
base. cure
nude col like clearly pink. cure
do a smile line halfway up nail (studio white). fill in white. cure.
then 2 blk dots for eyes, 3 stripes for whiskers each side, dot of tropix for nose and a red bow on ear. cure.
top coat. cure

my niece just said foils cos nobody else has them ;-)

Latest posts

Back