Shellac or Geleration?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well these issues are what good education if for. I guess it cannot be taken for granted that nail techs know everything even if supposedly experienced.

All is explained at the Shellac Attack classes. In many cases techs need to be taught how to polish, as if only one thing has come out of all of this hoopla. it is that a good majority of even experienced techs do not know how to either manicure or do a professional polish.

I think that is very true Gigi :)

I'm sure we are all finding the same issues, not only with Shellac but with the all the coloured gels too.

The original question was about Shellac v Geleration and Gelish was brought into it by a poster who had not heard of Geleration and assumed the question was about Gelish and it went from there.

Please let's not have yet another thread which degenerates into an argument.

We have to accept that if you want to compare apples with oranges then you will not get the results you want.

Shellac is an apple - Geleration, Gelish, Gelak etc. etc are oranges.

There is room for them all.

I completly agree Fiona, there is no arguement going on here IMO, and it's already agreed on this thread that Gelish & Shellac are two different things.

The reason people are talking about Gelish, is that a couple of other posters prior to Gigi mention it, as well as her doing so too. So some clarification was needed.

All good :hug:xxx

Hi just couldn't not add my bit hear.

I use both shellac and gellish I apply them both the same only difference is gellish I cure for one min.

I remove them the same for the same time Maybe 2 mins longer for gellish sometimes

I find they both last as long as each other and have had no probs bar White spots on the nail but this happens with both and I do a warm soler oil bath to help

I even used the gellish base with shellac wen I ran out due to stock probs and they work wonderfully together

There is no reason u can't use both infact I usually get my clients just to pick a colour and don't mention what one it is and they oftern have shellac one week gellish the next and the haven't noticed a different. X hope that makes sence

The fact that you can't get hold of the Shellac Base Coat and other crucial colours is a major issue....I have been on the Sweet Squared waiting list for weeks desperately waiting for the Salon Rack (or for the Base Coat at least!) beginning to consider converting to Geleration because of this.

Does anyone know the price of the Jessica Geleration UV lamp...or the LED lamp? I have been sent an information pack from Gerrard International today but it didn't give the price of the lamps?

I use GELeration and it's been a real hit in the salon. 24 colours, another 24 to come early next year and so far i've always been able to get what i've ordered. I'll pm you the cost of the two lamps.

I would like to say, i have never used either,
everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and it would not do for us all to like the same things ( very boring),
and this is why i do not come on here often ,
people never just answer a question to help people -
*if you want to compare products try them yourself - it is the only way to find out !*

I cannot comment on Shellac as I havent used it..

*and God help anyone on here silly enough to say anything against Shellac/cnd*

But I love my GELeration, my clients are very impressed, the colours are beautiful, they are long lasting and very reasonable in price.
I used the UV lamp that cures in 1min/2mins and I thought the price was fantastic. The LED lamp that cures in 10secs/20 secs was in my opinion very expensive for what it is. This is not an issue for me as I cant paint the other hand in 10 secs so I'm very happy with my UV.
The people that come into our salon know Jessica and so trust the product, Ive never once tried to sell them a GELeration manicure, they're all asking for it, Im kind of missing doing a regular manicure.
I think the customer service is great, I've never had any trouble getting hold of any stock and it usually arrives in 2 days.
Our rep comes in every 6 weeks or so and she is lovely too, very informative and helpfull.
The product soaks off i 10 mins, wrapping nails with foil and popping in the heated mitts - we did have some people with soak offs taking longer (dry nails) so we now apply a small amount of Rejuvenation base coat prior to the gel base and they come off very easily now (like little rubbers)

There is also no need to buff the nail first.

I've not heard of anyone in my area (there must be some) using Shellac, only GELeration? shame because have gone and had them done to compare myself.

Hope this helps :)

Gx

I went into a salon for geleration and came out with ibd blooming gel on my toes! I told them I didn't want gel as they always lift, they informed me that ibd and geleration are the same (even though I knew jessica's geleration was being promoted as a hard wearing polish). So because I knew the owner and she assured me I wouldn't have any problems I let them apply ibd.

Less than 10 days later I noticed the gel lifting from about 80 - 90 % of the nail. When I took my peep toes or slippers off they caught and took the remaining gel off. When I was left with just gel on my two big toes I decided to buff them off before these were ripped off too. My left toe nail is missing a large section of the top left hand corner of it and my right toe nail is cracked straight down the middle and is split diagonally from just above the cuticle for around 7 mm, this always seems to be a problem when I have gel on my toes, in the sense that it doesn't leave my natural nail healthy. They were certainly intact before the ibd and I have taken off the colour but didn't buff down too much to avoid buffing away the natual nail.

this experience has left me not even wanting to try geleration to be honest.

I went into a salon for geleration and came out with ibd blooming gel on my toes! I told them I didn't want gel as they always lift, they informed me that ibd and geleration are the same (even though I knew jessica's geleration was being promoted as a hard wearing polish). So because I knew the owner and she assured me I wouldn't have any problems I let them apply ibd.

Less than 10 days later I noticed the gel lifting from about 80 - 90 % of the nail. When I took my peep toes or slippers off they caught and took the remaining gel off. When I was left with just gel on my two big toes I decided to buff them off before these were ripped off too. My left toe nail is missing a large section of the top left hand corner of it and my right toe nail is cracked straight down the middle and is split diagonally from just above the cuticle for around 7 mm, this always seems to be a problem when I have gel on my toes, in the sense that it doesn't leave my natural nail healthy. They were certainly intact before the ibd and I have taken off the colour but didn't buff down too much to avoid buffing away the natual nail.

this experience has left me not even wanting to try geleration to be honest.

Thats terrible, they should have given you what you wanted!
Im assuming ibd is a buff off gel? In that case there is a big difference in products.

Dont let it put you off the geleration when your tootsies are ok.
Pop lots of oil on your toes.

If you wernt so far away Id say come to my salon and I'll do you one toe nail with beautiful (an almost clear pink for french) then paint the others with the beautiful polish to match then take off the geleration after a few weeks and you will see all is fine.

Sorry you had a poor experiance :hug:

I love Geleration and I also love Shellac,both are a dream to apply and both last as long as each other.I found Shellac easier to remove though.

Im assuming ibd is a buff off gel? In that case there is a big difference in products.

If you wernt so far away Id say come to my salon and I'll do you one toe nail with beautiful (an almost clear pink for french) then paint the others with the beautiful polish to match then take off the geleration after a few weeks and you will see all is fine.

Ah GinaBallerina, that's a really nice suggestion you made to smooth,wish there were more like you out there.
Us nail techs should stick together not bicker.x:)

Yes it was a buff off gel, they put a base coat, 3 coloured gel layers plus a top coat on, they were so thick in the end. One of the salons I run clinics from had a look and she mentioned shellac, but also said gels shouldn't lift, especially from your toes. I am probably going to try it on my toes but not brave enough for my hands as I don't want my natural nail having the slightest buffing ever.

If only all salons had you thoughts on giving clients what they are booked in for! Oh well, won't do that again, so that's something positive that has come out of this experience
x

Love Shellac but am going to give Gelish a go simply because of colours being so limited ...(am sure back in may there were supposed to be another 12 colours out for the autumn) and clients get bored. Also the base & top coat a constant struggle to catch in stock.

I agree with geeg, shelllac is shellac and gel is gel ,,,, shellac is on demand by NAME,,,, x

I agree with geeg, shelllac is shellac and gel is gel ,,,, shellac is on demand by NAME,,,, x

I think this must depend on where you live because since it's been launched I've only had one client come and ask for 'Shellac' but I've had loads of people ask about gels & acrylics generically. On talking to the client who asked for Shellac, all she was interested in was a colour that would last and stay looking like it's freshly painted that didn't involve 'damaging the nails'.

I used Jessica's GELeration on her and she now comes back every 2 to 3 weeks for re-application (due to the speed her nails grow) and as a result of her enthusiasm she's sent loads of new clients to me for them. Just goes to show that perhaps some clients aren't as interested in the scienctific difference between products as much as what difference that means to them in practical terms, i.e. very little!

Latest posts

Back