Shellac over new CND polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracymileham

Reaction score
Hi cam anyone tell me as the new polish from cnd dries so quickly can you do a shellac overlay top coat as one of my clients wants a non shellac colour

A non shellac colour but with a top coat.

Confused :|

Surrey Girl through and through x

Hi cam anyone tell me as the new polish from cnd dries so quickly can you do a shellac overlay top coat as one of my clients wants a non shellac colour

Do you mean CND Vinylux polish on top of Shellac? If this is what you mean then yes, you can apply Vinylux on top of Shellac + Vinylux top coat.

Sorry but I don't understand the question?

If using Vinylux you use the Vinylux topcoat.

You can use Vinylux over Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel, is that what you mean?

I read this as can you use shellac top coat over vinylux?

You can't mix polish and shellac - they're different systems.

PEP + Vinylux colour coat x 2 + Vinylux top coat = one system

OR

PEP + Shellac base + shellac colour coat x 2 + shellac top = one system

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I have seen it done by Divine by Design. She talks about 'encapsulating' the vinylux in Shellac. I have not tried this myself and would definately check with my EA before attempting as I'm not sure.....

Essentially as long as the vinylux is completely dry it is similar to sandwiching glitter or foil??

link to divine by design facebook post on encasulated vinylux....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...06513339.55171.133521170093514&type=1&theater

I have seen it done by Divine by Design. She talks about 'encapsulating' the vinylux in Shellac. I have not tried this myself and would definately check with my EA before attempting as I'm not sure.....

Essentially as long as the vinylux is completely dry it is similar to sandwiching glitter or foil??

link to divine by design facebook post on encasulated vinylux....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...06513339.55171.133521170093514&type=1&theater

I admire her work but im not sure if this is ok :/

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

On this link, DevineByDesing encapsulates using shellac base coat, studio white, then 2 coats of polish to finish off with shellac top coat. I'm not sure you can do nail polish on nail to finish off with shellac top coat!! There are very good Top coats on the market. I think you have acces to super shine!!! It will give you very nice results. Have fun!!!

You could use vinylux as you would glitter or foils within the shellac system.
You must make sure the vinylux is completely dry and a clear margin before you seal the design with your shellac top coat.

You cannot mix different parts of different systems, but VINYLUX can be used WITH the complete Shellac system if done appropriately. You must follow pep and base coat as normal, select a colour Shellac to go over the base but under the VINYLUX. Cure, remove the inhibition later, then apply the VINYLUX over the shellac but ensuring a superfine margin so Shellac is left visible around the VINYLUX to ensure a Shellac on Shellac seal when applying top coat. Allow to COMPLETELY dry, then finish off with 2 top coats being thorough when capping the end. This lasted perfectly on my client for 2 weeks.

(The picture is one the client sent me after 2 weeks on an adventure holiday constantly in the sea, paragliding, surfing etc. The Yellow and the Mint Green are custom blended VINYLUX) xx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 14,733
Last edited:
I would love that yellow and mint green in shellac! Gorgeous colours!

You cannot mix different parts of different systems, but VINYLUX can be used WITH the complete Shellac system if done appropriately. You must follow pep and base coat as normal, select a colour Shellac to go over the base but under the VINYLUX. Cure, remove the inhibition later, then apply the VINYLUX over the shellac but ensuring a superfine margin so Shellac is left visible around the VINYLUX to ensure a Shellac on Shellac seal when applying top coat. Allow to COMPLETELY dry, then finish off with 2 top coats being thorough when capping the end. This lasted perfectly on my client for 2 weeks.

(The picture is one the client sent me after 2 weeks on an adventure holiday constantly in the sea, paragliding, surfing etc. The Yellow and the Mint Green are custom blended VINYLUX) xx

I don't think I am brave enough to attempt this yet BUT could I just ask two questions:

I can't even see the margin you have left around the edge (which is fab!) but how do you cover this on the free egdes? Surely leaving a visible Shellac colour would look a little strange?

Normally even if I have cured a colour coat and go to wipe away the inhibition layer it takes some colour with it? (Might just be me?!) Why do you need to wipe this layer away? Obviously we don't with glitter etc?

That's what I was just thinking. .

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Fantastic! I never thought that this was possible! Thank you for opening up my eyes!

I don't think I am brave enough to attempt this yet BUT could I just ask two questions:

I can't even see the margin you have left around the edge (which is fab!) but how do you cover this on the free egdes? Surely leaving a visible Shellac colour would look a little strange?

Normally even if I have cured a colour coat and go to wipe away the inhibition layer it takes some colour with it? (Might just be me?!) Why do you need to wipe this layer away? Obviously we don't with glitter etc?

I chose Studio White so that the hairs-breadth of a margin isn't obvious, so I would chose an appropriate colour underneath as close as possible to the VINYLUX colour that you are using, or alternatively use Clearly Pink until you have tried it out a few times and can make the margin barely visible. I also took the VINYLUX carefully as far to the free edge as possible without capping by pushing my brush downwards towards as I left the free edge, but did not go back with the brush to run along the free edge if that makes sense. I personally chose to remove the inhibition layer so that the polish doesn't drag on the sticky layer as I applied it, and to try and make it as similar as possible to applying to the natural nail for an even finish xxx

Learn something new everyday, despite it being drummed in not to mix systems 😳 I stand corrected!

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

You cannot mix different parts of different systems, but VINYLUX can be used WITH the complete Shellac system if done appropriatelyxx

Why would you need to apply Shellac under the Vinylux? Does it mean you can get 2 week wear from Vinylux this way?

This is just a method I have used, not an official CND method. Obviously I have only tried this out on a number of clients, but before something like this can be definitely confirmed as being "OK", it would have to be rigorously tested. I followed the official CND guidelines with regards to using embellishments/craft paints within the Shellac service, but these also state if you experience service breakdown you should reduce the level of embellishment/addition to an acceptable balance. If you want to try something like this, I recommend that you try on yourself or a model to see how you get on before attempting this with a client xxxx

Latest posts

Back