Shellac problem!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyQueen88

Reaction score
Hello geeks! I've been doing shellac a couple of months now so not very long at all! Everything's been going well but one if my clients has just text me saying hers is starting to chip, she's sent me this pic but it actually looks like its cracked? I've asked me experience nail tech friend for advice but she's never seen this before! Have you?

I wondered if its where her nail was brittle underneath and is split (if you know what I mean) but I soaked off a set of previous shellac rockstar that she's had on a couple if weeks which were fine :(

I did them last sat xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351200885.451063.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351200885.451063.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 645
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351200905.035737.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351200905.035737.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 640
This is not a Shellac problem ... I dislike your title. This is a client problem and it is obvious she has given the nail a knock. Plus I have to say the Shellac looks a mess and very badly worn and interfered with. It looks nothing like a professional application of Shellac. Even the colour doesn't look right.

I do not mean to be rude but that's an awful application of Shellac, can you take us through your procedure as it just doesn't look right hunni x

That does not even look like shellac! Whatever it is it has been badly picked at and that looks like a break in the nail

How long has she had them on? It's a lot of regrowth. It looks like she has banged the nail and maybe picked it at the bottom end at the eponichium maybe? Might just be the light. Or it could be a break in the nail or that she has bent the nail as its quite long.

that's a hell of a lot of growth for less than a week! It looks a little to me like when my nail delaminates under the shellac and lifts the shellac. Either that or she has caught, knocked or torn it!

What colour is that? I've never seen it before!

It's hotski to tchotchke with blue Martha Stewart glitter sorry i should have said they were rockstar in my post. I did all usual pep cuticle work etc, scrub fresh, base coat 10sc, 1 colour coat 2mins, glitter, zillionaire 2mins, top coat 2mins, d-sperse & cuticle oil. Plus added some gems that she requested, here's a pic I took when I first did them..:(

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351203388.303508.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351203388.303508.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
The 20th of October..?

Yes Saturday 20th October

Wow her nails grow quick!

It certainly looks like her thumb has suffered some trauma hun. Have you spoken to her? Ask her exactly what happened, it would not have cracked like that all by itself xxx

It looks like her nails are too long and she's caught it on something and broken it, nothing to do with shellac. Shellac won't give the same kind of strength as gel or l&p. If the nails are too long it's only a matter of time before one breaks

I don't do Shellac so can't comment on the problem but just wanted to ask why 'geeg' feels the need to be so harsh? The girl has explained she hasnt been doing Shellac for long and is just after advice, not nasty comments about the application, I am sure you could word your replies a bit nicer sometimes.

Just my opinion.

Louise

Your application when you first did them looks lovely . Appears to be a knock she has sustained and possibly some exposure to a chemical of some kind . That would explain the fading

I don't do Shellac so can't comment on the problem but just wanted to ask why 'geeg' feels the need to be so harsh? The girl has explained she hasnt been doing Shellac for long and is just after advice, not nasty comments about the application, I am sure you could word your replies a bit nicer sometimes.

Just my opinion.

Louise

I think it's how you the reader reads the reply, I do not think Geegs comment was harsh, this isn't a shellac problem it's abuse by the client!!, Geeg knows her products and the colour of this shellac doesn't look right to her and I also questioned it as it doesnt look right, I'm a shellac user and this is my popular colour with my clients.. Not wanting to sound like I'm trying to get the original poster to suck eggs, but I'm going to ask, are you using the correct lamp? (yawn) and if so do your bulbs need changing?? Xx

I think it's how you the reader reads the reply, I do not think Geegs comment was harsh, Xx

I agree, I don't think geeg was particularly harsh, but I do think YOU were...putting "I don't mean to be rude" in front of "that is an awful application of Shellac" makes no difference it is rude and in no way constructive.
To tell a newbie her work is awful on the basis of a bad picture of 1 nail is extremely harsh.

I am so glad the OP posted a pic of the nails when first treated, as they are in fact very well done, considering she is still new to it, confirming geeg's comment that this is indeed a client problem.
Maybe the OP could have told us the nails in question were Rockstar and not a basic Shellac colour, but how could she have know such an interrogation would kick off?

As I have said geeg was not harsh, but it starts to look harsh when the next few posts pick up her theme and ask the same things of the OP in a harsher way.

Imagine if you were all sitting in the staff room and the OP asked a question would you all shout her down and slate her work while she was standing there ?
Maybe you should imagine that scenario when you all read your posts back before hitting the send button.

Hiyas

Tho I don't do shellac yet, kit arrives next week, I would say maybe as i have seen a similar thing with a gel polish nail I did, the nails been knocked and maybe broken a little, she has tried to correct it and that's the result, when you look at both pics together it looks like she may have filed it a little as shape looks a little different, I had a client who did this and tried to smooth and file round the chip and the crack for worse, which started to cause a lift.

Maybe wrong but might be what's happened

Looking at the before picture and particularly the thumb it doesn't look like a very tidy application. You can see there is quite a gap already at between the cuticle and where the shellac starts and the it spills over/pools at the side wall then one side edge of the nail isn't covered at all. And from the after picture this is exactly where the trouble begins so I would guess this along with a little client agitation and the very long nails has contributed to the breakdown.

OP is new so my comments are intended as tough love so she can improve and grow her business, I don't think it is kind to say the application looks fine when there are issues.

I agree, I don't think geeg was particularly harsh, but I do think YOU were...putting "I don't mean to be rude" in front of "that is an awful application of Shellac" makes no difference it is rude and in no way constructive.
To tell a newbie her work is awful on the basis of a bad picture of 1 nail is extremely harsh.

I am so glad the OP posted a pic of the nails when first treated, as they are in fact very well done, considering she is still new to it, confirming geeg's comment that this is indeed a client problem.
Maybe the OP could have told us the nails in question were Rockstar and not a basic Shellac colour, but how could she have know such an interrogation would kick off?

As I have said geeg was not harsh, but it starts to look harsh when the next few posts pick up her theme and ask the same things of the OP in a harsher way.

Imagine if you were all sitting in the staff room and the OP asked a question would you all shout her down and slate her work while she was standing there ?
Maybe you should imagine that scenario when you all read your posts back before hitting the send button.

Couldn't agree more. Very well said!!

Good morning ... I was wondering ... Do you think we could stick to the thread topic instead of the thread turning into a discussion of whether or not geeg was harsh ... .? I'm getting a bit tired of hearing the debate and also of the ones who feel they have to 'chime in' on a thread about a product they don't even use and have nothing to add to the thread discussion, but feel they just have to comment with their opinion of my remarks rather than stay on the topic of the thread. I am not really interested in what anyone thinks of the 'tone' they wish to add to my posts. I have been a part of salon geek long enough for most to know my personality and my motive for being here ... Which is to help and to teach and to give advice. If you don't know me then before criticising I suggest you get to know me.

I do get a little irritated at times by titles that do not reflect the nature of the post .... So many titles about Shellac 'problems' which when you read the post turn out to be caused entirely due to the technicians' lack of experience or client interference. I feel these titles reflect badly on what is a superb product.

The photos in this post CLEARLY show that there has been a tremendous amount of some sort of wear and tear and clearly that the client has knocked and bent this nail and cracked it. I would say that too long a length has played a part in that one ... It happens. People 'push it' too far and then wallop ! It happens with or without anything on the nails. If clients want to push the length that far with less risk of breakage, then I suggest a liquid & Powder overlay (and even then the nail could crack if hit hard enough).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back