Shellac problem!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm struggling to believe that's been on for less than a week! Incredible.

It cannot all be growth, then, something must have happened/been done to cause it to look like that. Shellac doesn't just crack across like in the photograph without a little help either. It just doesn't.

Thanks for your replies, I agree that geeg's comment seemed a little harsh but I've noticed she has now amended it (?) but she says she's been on here a while and says what she thinks!
I didn't mean in my title that I was having a problem with shellac itself, it was more a problem with a shellac treatment. I wasn't trying to make it sound like the product had issues I just wanted advice on the picture and. If anyone else has had this. Perhaps I should have called it 'problem with shellac application or potential client aftercare' but I didn't think anyone would read into the title too much!
Good job I took a pic of the original application so you make a good judgement of the clients nails now. She's coming into the salon sat and we're gonna ask her questions that you have suggested such as knocking it/dealing with chemicals. She does have a slight bend in her nails where they are long and wanted to keep the length so I'm interested to see if this has happened on those nails but that doesn't explain why it's come away by the cuticle so we'll have to see what they're like in real life and see!
Will most probably end up taking them off and doing a new set

Last edited:
Well you would have to really as you can't infill Shellac. x

It looks to me in the good shellac pic, especially on the thumb that the nail hasn't really been sealed properly, the application looks very thin along the free edge and there is shellac missing down the sidewall. There is also shellac/glitter on the skin.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it could have lifted around the cuticle and area and she may have peeled it off. Also if the free edge is thin then it may well snap and bend, my nails do the same if I grow them too long, if I hit the free edge of something it will bend and make a crease in the edge, but as the shellac is on top as a protective layer it just creases the shellac and then it will chip off.

comparing the before + after photos again, it has just jumped out at me that the 'shine' is missing in the after photo. could it be as the later photos were taken with a different camera in different light but they do look really matt and faded which is strange.

It's hotski to tchotchke with blue Martha Stewart glitter sorry i should have said they were rockstar in my post. I did all usual pep cuticle work etc, scrub fresh, base coat 10sc, 1 colour coat 2mins, glitter, zillionaire 2mins, top coat 2mins, d-sperse & cuticle oil. Plus added some gems that she requested, here's a pic I took when I first did them..:(

This rock star looks nice, I love the colour!

When I have shellac applied to my own nails I like to pick it off from the cuticle end. It's a bad habit. Perhaps this lady has done something similar?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

Sorry I'm not a shellac user so maybe someone can correct if I'm wrong, but do you think it needed at least two coats of colour? The application looks thin to me and transparent even in the 'good' pic. Hth

Did you have ripples in your colour application under the glitter? It looks line the client may well have banged or picked but I also wonder if some if your base colour hasn't cured properly ie rippled and has come away

Did you have ripples in your colour application under the glitter? It looks line the client may well have banged or picked but I also wonder if some if your base colour hasn't cured properly ie rippled and has come away

Fraid not. While I was doing it I did actually think 'is that too thin' but then as it was only for a bit of colour for the glitter to sit on I didn't think it needed 2 coats, plus I thought that because I do a coat of zillionaire on top of of the glitter too that it may be too thick and peel if there were lots of layers!?
She did say she doesn't mind paying again which makes me think she may have meddled with them a little otherwise I would have thought she'd expect them for free if she's not done anything wrong? I do see that I've not gone right to the nail wall on the thumb and a little too far over on others! So it could be a bit of both xx

Thanks for getting back to us with that update beautyQueen88 and for sticking with this thread ;)
Don't worry about the deletions, they had nothing to with your topic, so were not required.

Good luck with your client today, and I am sure during your redo she will somehow manage to let it slip how this happened. Some of my clients come in with chips and don't know how it happened, then during our chat they get talking about the garden furniture they just built, the driveway they just weeded, and the wallpaper they just stripped :eek:

Fraid not. While I was doing it I did actually think 'is that too thin' but then as it was only for a bit of colour for the glitter to sit on I didn't think it needed 2 coats, plus I thought that because I do a coat of zillionaire on top of of the glitter too that it may be too thick and peel if there were lots of layers!?
She did say she doesn't mind paying again which makes me think she may have meddled with them a little otherwise I would have thought she'd expect them for free if she's not done anything wrong? I do see that I've not gone right to the nail wall on the thumb and a little too far over on others! So it could be a bit of both xx

This is the attitude that will make you achieve your dreams and goals of being a great nail tech.
The bit where you admit that you didn't apply the product as well as you should have, is great because it shows you see your wrong doings and can try to improve them.

I'm not a Shellac user, I use Polish Pro from NSI and I have a client who drives me buts because she comes back with nails looking like this clients broken nail....why? because she does nothing to treat her nails with care and thinks they are tools and this is all happening with a short free edge.
So in regards to the crack, it's exactly that, a crack/split where the client has knocked it hard against something and it has split.

I will also say that in your original pic, your application is not crash hot (but you see this for yourself anyway) and although some clients nails do grow very fast and can possibly have a lot of re-growth after one week, this looks more like that the product has worn away (maybe even been filed slightly by client) and it's possible because you are not taking the product up far enough (but with still leaving a small margin) you might not be actually sealing the color coats with the top coat, which in turn will wear the color/product away quickly and cause lifting/peeling.

You need to leave enough of a teeny margin for the color coats so that when you apply the top coat it actually slightly goes over the color edge and seals in the entire color coats.
I know this is easier said than done but with practice, you will get there.

I too question if this client has not either filed away her top coat as the 2nd pic does look dull or she has played with chemicals that have taken the shine away, either way, this is definitely a client issue, not a Shellac issue and it sounds like your client knows it by not arguing about having to pay for a re-application of her Shellac service.

Let us know how things went when she came in:)

This will also be the perfect time to talk about length with your client. everyone has a natural 'perfect length' any longer and they break. Clients see their nails getting longer than they ever have with Shellac and they want to keep that length when it come time to reapply, as responsible and professional therapists it's unfortunately down to us to talk them out of it lol!
I always point out that past a certain length they wil break and although right now they may be the perfect length, after 2 weeks they will have grown past it and be liable to breaking. My mum is the worst for this!

Thankyou for your advice everyone :) she came in today and it seems the chips were where the nail has delaminated and caused the shellac to chip. I reminded her to use solar oil but we decided redo them as a good will gesture! She is a good client and has been very loyal to me, I have been doing her eyelashes for years and she came back to me after I'd been on maternity leave too so i think it's best this way!
Hopefully there won't be any other problems x

Latest posts

Back