Shellac question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alethea

Reaction score
A client of mine (comes in for waxing every 3 weeks), usually has lovely nails and I was hoping to sell her Shellec, which I have just brought into and go on the 'Shellec brings them back' course this Wednesday. I was about to give her a Shellec leaflet and asked about her Acylic nails, when she rolled up her eyes in disgust and said she tried Shellec and they only lasted 15 mins and started coming off. She went back to the shop and had her usual Acylics put on.

This left me a bit aghast. I chose Shellec because I thought it had such a good reputation. I'm now wondering whether I will have the same problem when I do Shellec nails. At the moment I'm concluding the nail technician did something wrong. Any ideas so I can avoid it?

Now I have this client in the village bad mouthing Shellec just when I'm trying to promote it and I wonder when I'm trained whether I should offer her a free Shellec treatment, after all she is a very 'good' client and hopefully she would have a better experience and perhaps become a Shellec client of mine as well, or at least stop bad mouthing it.
What do you think?

I wouldn't give her anything for free, but because she is a regular & loyal to you for her waxing, why not say well I tell you what next time your in for a wax I will do you a half price shellac, or a fiver off, or a free finger or something? don't do the whole thing for free though xx

I would just carry on do your training, use it on your own nails and gradually let her see how nice your nails are, and the other Shellac clients you will get will soon spread the word.
Some people need to see results rather than be talked into something.
Patience, stop worrying about one client.

Hiya, clearly she had a bad expirience with Shellac and to be honest 15 mins sounds a bit... not right. I think anything no matter how badly it was applied or how badly treated afterwards would last longer then 15mins. I dont think that just because 1 person is badmouthing the product should effect your business. You do your course and promote how great shellac is, educate your clients on how it works and how important it is to follow the aftercare advice. I dont think you should offer a free set of Shellac to this lady, but maybe keep mentioning when she comes in for wxing, make sure you wear Shellac and you can show her how well it lasts on you so maybe eventually she will give in and will be willing to try it.

Also by the looks of it, she seems to be used to wearing acrylics which is a lot tougher then Shellac, so she might be expecting Shellac being as tough as acrylics which it isn't.

A client of mine (comes in for waxing every 3 weeks), usually has lovely nails and I was hoping to sell her Shellec, which I have just brought into and go on the 'Shellec brings them back' course this Wednesday. I was about to give her a Shellec leaflet and asked about her Acylic nails, when she rolled up her eyes in disgust and said she tried Shellec and they only lasted 15 mins and started coming off. She went back to the shop and had her usual Acylics put on.

This left me a bit aghast. I chose Shellec because I thought it had such a good reputation. I'm now wondering whether I will have the same problem when I do Shellec nails. At the moment I'm concluding the nail technician did something wrong. Any ideas so I can avoid it?

Now I have this client in the village bad mouthing Shellec just when I'm trying to promote it and I wonder when I'm trained whether I should offer her a free Shellec treatment, after all she is a very 'good' client and hopefully she would have a better experience and perhaps become a Shellec client of mine as well, or at least stop bad mouthing it.
What do you think?
First answer is this is not a Shellac problem so the title of this thread is misleading. Do you honestly think for a moment that Shellac would be the number one brand of UV Polish sold in the world if what this client told you was true about Shellac? 15 minutes? Give me a break! That is so ridiculous no matter what the product was.

First thing to ponder is whether or not the salon was actually using Shellac or "something like Shellac", which is what so many salons say.
Was it genuine Shellac used with the correct lamp etc that was used? Who knows. Who has time to care?

Lets forget this woman, who I am quite sure is not bad mouthing Shellac all over town, and concentrate instead on what you are doing.
Should we be marketing Shellac services to women who wear Acrylic, to wear instead of acrylic? NO ... If they need acrylic for the strength they need for their nails, is Shellac going to suit their need? NO

You should be marketing Shellac to those for whom it was created ... Your manicure clients. Ladies with natural nails who like natural nail services. Turn occasional clients into regular returning salon clients and leave the acrylic ladies to their acrylics. You want NEW clientele who will appreciate the fabulousness of Shellac.

There will be occasional acrylic wearers who want to try their luck at keeping their nails natural and on them you would use Shellac and Brisa Lite removable smoothing gel or sculpting gel to give them more strength then Shellac on its own would give for that type of client.

CND have a solution in a soak off gel or Shellac that will suit every single client's nails.

It's your job as a nail technician to choose and recommend the correct solution and product choice for each individual's nail needs. You won't prosper if you recommend the wrong thing to a person just because it is a new service and you want to sell it. Sell it to the right people who will love it not to those who are going to have problems because their nails are not suited to it.

Last edited:
that[/B] type of client.

I was under the impression that Brisa Lite sculpting gel is more suitable for ex acrylic wearers instead of the smoothing gel -is that not the case?
Thanks

I was under the impression that Brisa Lite sculpting gel is more suitable for ex acrylic wearers instead of the smoothing gel -is that not the case?
Thanks

None of these things is written in stone AND YOU DON'T NEED TO BE super LITTORAL ... as I have said a hundred times now but I will say it again :) ... YOUR CHOICE OF WHICH BRISA LITE GEL OPTION IS BEST DEPENDS ON THE CONDITION OF THE CLIENT'S NAILS AFTER REMOVAL OF THE OVERLAY.

You are the nail technician .. can you not determine after looking at the clients nails which will suit them the best?

I wore Acrylic(L&P) overlays for 25 years ... my nails were not wrecked when I removed the overlay. I went on to straight Shellac and never have looked back since 3 years ago. I have seen others with paper thin nails after overlays and they clearly need the stronger option of the Brisa Lite Sculpting gel ... then I have seen others whose nails are a bit rough and ridged but not paper thin who would be fine with the Brisa Lite Smoothing gel.

Last edited:
None of these things is written in stone AND YOU DON'T NEED TO BE super LITTORAL ... as I have said a hundred times now but I will say it again :) ... YOUR CHOICE OF WHICH BRISA LITE GEL OPTION IS BEST DEPENDS ON THE CONDITION OF THE CLIENT'S NAILS AFTER REMOVAL OF THE OVERLAY.

You are the nail technician .. can you not determine after looking at the clients nails which will suit them the best?

I wore Acrylic(L&P) overlays for 25 years ... my nails were not wrecked when I removed the overlay. I went on to straight Shellac and never have looked back since 3 years ago. I have seen others with paper thin nails after overlays and they clearly need the stronger option of the Brisa Lite Sculpting gel ... then I have seen others whose nails are a bit rough and ridged but not paper thin who would be fine with the Brisa Lite Smoothing gel.

Well I'm sorry I spoke! This is a new product that we are all getting to know and until then we may have some questions. Indeed, you mentioned that at "the event" techs will be given a tool to help them determine the correct gel for the right people. Which thus indicates the need for clear information of which product is suited to which type of nail problem. There really was no need to be so harsh when I have asked a perfectly reasonable question that may also benefit others if they too are unsure. If there was some sort of list that we could refer to then that would solve the problem of asking. Thank you for your time.

Well I'm sorry I spoke! This is a new product that we are all getting to know and until then we may have some questions. Indeed, you mentioned that at "the event" techs will be given a tool to help them determine the correct gel for the right people. Which thus indicates the need for clear information of which product is suited to which type of nail problem. There really was no need to be so harsh when I have asked a perfectly reasonable question that may also benefit others if they too are unsure. If there was some sort of list that we could refer to then that would solve the problem of asking. Thank you for your time.

If that is the way you choose to take my post then that is up to you. As far as I am concerned there was nothing harsh about it.

I have answered this same question more than several times in several threads devoted to the new Brisa Lite gels that have benefited the 'others' you mention, and you have read the posts as you refer to one of them right here in your answer. The information I have given is perfectly clear, logical and precise; makes perfect sense and is not in the least confusing. Is there something other than what I have said/written that you are wanting or expecting to hear?
The clue is in the names ... Smoothing ... this gel will give extra strength and durability but it's primary function is ... smoothing.
Sculpting is for adding more bulk more strength in the structure you .... sculpt.

If that is the way you choose to take my post then that is up to you. As far as I am concerned there was nothing harsh about it.

I have answered this same question more than several times in several threads devoted to the new Brisa Lite gels that have benefited the 'others' you mention, and you have read the posts as you refer to one of them right here in your answer. The information I have given is perfectly clear, logical and precise; makes perfect sense and is not in the least confusing. Is there something other than what I have said/written that you are wanting or expecting to hear?

No, I asked because I had previously read that the sculpting gel was recommended for ex enhancement wearers so obviously I wanted to double check as you posted here to use the SMOOTHING gel. Really there should be some description of which product is suited to which type of nails in with the kits but there isn't, hence the need to ask questions. I hope this new tool launched at the event will be available to all.

I may be way off the mark but when it comes to assessing clients nail health.. i think the 'tools' we may be given at the event is more likely to be the information to help us make a more in depth analysis of our clients nails.. rather than an actual physical tool.. does that make sense?

I may be way off the mark but when it comes to assessing clients nail health.. i think the 'tools' we may be given at the event is more likely to be the information to help us make a more in depth analysis of our clients nails.. rather than an actual physical tool.. does that make sense?

It is certainly not a 'tool' as in an implement. :lol:

At CND we always provide the help needed with education and in the form of help during the last two weeks here on the site where I and other CND educators have spent hours answering questions as quickly as we could get to them. Rudeness for those efforts doesn't help ... reading the information available does. It is easy to ask the same question again and again and patience is shown when it happens but sometimes Capitals are needed for emphasis when the question has been answered several times.

Yes I meant an information tool, not a physical tool lol
I only asked my question as there had been conflicting advice given.

I really don't want this thread going off topic...it is not about Brisa Lite after all ;) it is about 1 reluctant client and Shellac!

I don't think there has been conflicting advice, there are different things that are best for different clients, and we need to have the knowledge to know what is right for what client.
I will say that as much as this is an educational site, we do need to use our own experience and judgement sometimes, and use that to build our business on, and decide what is right for our client, be it Shellac, Gel Polish, soak off gels or good old L&P acrylic.
Yes with new products there will be lots of questions, and they are all being answered on another thread, but at the end of the day we take the manufacturers training and guidelines and then use our previous knowledge and experience to run with it.
It is confidence in US as knowledgable professionals using professional products that brings clients back, not just the products.

I really don't want this thread going off topic...it is not about Brisa Lite after all ;) it is about 1 reluctant client and Shellac!

I don't think there has been conflicting advice, there are different things that are best for different clients, and we need to have the knowledge to know what is right for what client.
I will say that as much as this is an educational site, we do need to use our own experience and judgement sometimes, and use that to build our business on, and decide what is right for our client, be it Shellac, Gel Polish, soak off gels or good old L&P acrylic.
Yes with new products there will be lots of questions, and they are all being answered on another thread, but at the end of the day we take the manufacturers training and guidelines and then use our previous knowledge and experience to run with it.
It is confidence in US as knowledgable professionals using professional products that brings clients back, not just the products.

Yes I know that. I only queried because Geeg had said elsewhere to use the sculpting gel on ex acrylic wearers but in this post she recommended the smoothing gel so this was confusing, hence my question. I now see Geeg has since edited her post here to say smoothing OR sculpting is recommended which clears things up now for other people reading this thread.

Yes I know that. I only queried because Geeg had said elsewhere to use the sculpting gel on ex acrylic wearers but in this post she recommended the smoothing gel so this was confusing, hence my question. I now see Geeg has since edited her post here to say smoothing OR sculpting is recommended which clears things up now for other people reading this thread.

No one else seems to be confused! Give it a rest .. I said in other threads it was a choice .. we do have to show some logic, understanding and common sense about the condition of the nails we are working on.. Or do you expect me to write the manual in every answer every time covering every eventuality? Give me a break and respect what Izzi has asked and you to do and let the thread stay on topic instead of trying in vain to make yourself look like you are in the right. Use your intelligence and the information you have been given and make the correct choice. Choices are what good service is all about. The client can't make them only we can make them .. that is the job of the professional.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back