Shellac's new poster - very disappointed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had the pleasure of meeting Gigi and have total respect for her and her huge talent as a nail artist but on this occasion i'm baffled by her defence of this advertising poster that depicts nails being misused. I know gigi is CND through and through and most geeks on here (myself included) love it too but i really feel on this occasion they got it wrong. Educating our clients in nailcare is hard enough at the best of times and this poster is clearly showing that you can use your Shellaced nail to open a can with a ring pull without damage to the nail. When our clients come flocking back for nail repairs due to misusing nails, will we have a leg to stand on if we have this poster on display?? I think not.

Im not saying they got it wrong or right ... What I said is that the image does not bother me in the slightest and I like the impact of the image. Gets allot of attention and I never once thought of it as being an influence on a client to actually DO it until this thread came up. Do you think the guitar image will send everyone off for guitar lessons with Shellacked nails? Come on ...

If you dont like the image then dont buy it ... its pretty simple really. No one buys every poster of any type. If you think CND has got this image wrong then that is your perrogative. My take is completely different and that is my perrogative. I dont think I will have the slightest problem with my clients coming back for any free nails because they have been influenced by the poster and briken their nails ... I'll let you know if I do. Perhaps I should put a banner over all the posters that says, "DONT TRY THIS AT HOME!" Just in case! :green:

Im not saying they got it wrong or right ... What I said is that the image does not bother me in the slightest and I like the impact of the image. Gets allot of attention and I never once thought of it as being an influence on a client to actually DO it until this thread came up. Do you think the guitar image will send everyone off for guitar lessons with Shellacked nails? Come on ...

If you dont like the image then dont buy it ... its pretty simple really. No one buys every poster of any type. If you think CND has got this image wrong then that is your perrogative. My take is completely different and that is my perrogative. I dont think I will have the slightest problem with my clients coming back for any free nails because they have been influenced by the poster and briken their nails ... I'll let you know if I do. Perhaps I should put a banner over all the posters that says, "DONT TRY THIS AT HOME!" Just in case! :green:
The problem is clients will take the ad literally....and why shouldnt they?

CND are basically saying its ok to do this as Shellac is so good you're nails will be perfect after opening a can, or playing a guitar etc etc.
..but the reality is that this is untrue....and it is us who will pay the price for broken nails. We cant advertise this and say to our clients dont actually do this as you'll most likely damage your nail!

Its a confusing message to our clients and lets face it..if it were you who chose to wear Shellac as the poster makes it look undestructable and you opened a can and your nail broke...what would you do?...Clients will complain to us...their nail technicians, and we'll have to come up with answers & free repairs!

I totally love Shellac, but it does have limits..and I'm sure CND can do better than this marketing strategy.

some clients do take things literally and will complain if they can't do this. i had a couple of clients at the start of doing Shellac who called me up on day 13 having picked off a nail and asked for a free manicure this time round because it didnt quite make the 14 days, of course i didn't, but there are people who will happily take advantage of this advertising i think

I don't think this ad will make clients run out and try opening a bunch of cans simply because the ad show it. I do however think that they might not second guess doing it when they do open a can. Where before they might have though...wait I was told not to do this....now they'll just go ahead.

I think it is eye catching and would definitely bring clients in the door, I don't think the underlying message is one I would want to send to my clients.
Even the one with the guitar...I have 2 male clients that come to me to have brisa overlays on their thumbs because they play guitar, and I would not recommend Shellac as a replacement.

I understand CND's thought process, but it misses the mark this time. I won't be using the new adverts this time around.

There are hundreds of salon and marketing posters out there, some are awful.

Like I said I personally think this poster gives shellac a young and very fresh vibe.

Seen as I do open so many cans a day and have 4 children and my shellac lasts perfectly well so I have no fear that I'll have any problems with service breakdown.

If a watch says waterproof people don't test it in the bath? If apple marketed their new iphone as indistructable then would you through your new phone on the floor?

But I think if my clients want to go home and crack open a can of bud... their shellac will be ok. I'm not saying opening cans all day every day for 2 weeks wont result in chipping but on occasion your shellac could take it...and for me I think that's the message it sends?

How many of your tried ripping into your topcoat with a key?

I too think the advert isn't the best. The ad with the keys (to me) hilights that you can grab your keys after a manicure and your polish will be OK. As for the poster saying about a buying a waterproof watch - well it should stand up to that promise and if you want to test in the bath it should withstand the assault. I totally agree that it is bad enough educating clients without sending this message unless it can uphold the claim.

I too think the advert isn't the best. The ad with the keys (to me) hilights that you can grab your keys after a manicure and your polish will be OK. As for the poster saying about a buying a waterproof watch - well it should stand up to that promise and if you want to test in the bath it should withstand the assault. I totally agree that it is bad enough educating clients without sending this message unless it can uphold the claim.

That would be me.

Actually my point was that a waterproof watch will not alway be waterproof. The age, use, pressure and depth can all affect the effectiveness of its "waterproof" claims.

So much so that watches are now called water resistant and categorised depending on use etc

My point is this...

On day one of your shellac manicure you will more than likely find your shellac with stands opening a can!

Perhaps if you don't use solar oil, neglect to wear gloves when doing dishes and then you open a can on day 13... You chip a nail!

Whilst I do see where people are coming from I like it.

All I drink is diet coke and water. And I would say over the course of 2 weeks I open 50 cans of diet coke and my shellac stays fine.

It's an everyday thing to open a can is it not?

I don't see it as using your nails as a tool?

Your as bad as me with your cans of pop princess xx

That would be me.
Perhaps if you don't use solar oil, neglect to wear gloves when doing dishes and then you open a can on day 13... You chip a nail!

Then back at your door for a free repair the client will be! Not every client but I promise you some would.

Advertise away if you approve of the ad but don't jump on others because they don't approve.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree

:green:

Then back at your door for a free repair the client will be! Not every client but I promise you some would.

Advertise away if you approve of the ad but don't jump on others because they don't approve.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree

:green:
I haven't seen anyone JUMPING on anyone else ... just a different opinion. Obviously some have no qualms about the poster .. others do. Where is the problem with THAT? If you like it use it .. if you dont like it dont use it. I dont think allot more can be said really.

In what way did I jump on anyone? I put a valid response incorporated with my opinion.

I haven't had a single shellac service breakdown as yet so ill take my chances thank you.

Because my opinion is different and I say what I think and when I want does not mean I'm jumping on anyone, being rude or being disrespectful!

Just don't use this marketing tool! It's not rocket science. You wouldn't buy a dress you didn't like, so don't buy this.

I think it's not the best they've ever come up with. Time will tell as to whether clients take it literally.
I will certainly have no problem reporting back either way!
The psychology of marketing is more of a black art than a science though.
You know what grated more than anything else? The unbranded can!

If I may, I think that the problem is more complex than "if you don't like it, don't use it."

CND Shellac's advertising is incredibly pervasive (in a good way) and effective. It sets the standard for salons using Shellac whether or not we use the advertising in our shops. That's part of the value of using Shellac; people walk in the door already familiar with it and wanting it. The key-on-the-nails photo from the original advertising campaign was sheer brilliance! It visually presented the issue every client deals with. It communicated clearly one of the key (no pun intended) benefits of Shellac. And yes, we had clients try it, and it held up, to their great delight!

What I hear people saying here is, that regardless of whether they use the poster or not, this new poster sets a standard for Shellac that is unreasonable, one that will cause disappointment in clients and demands for a re-do. This poster communicates exactly the opposite of what we tell clients - using nails as tools - and because CND's production values are so good, it does it very effectively. I think that just as we benefitted from the very effective original ad campaign, we will suffer from a misleading photo from this one. So I understand people's frustration with the ad and I hope that CND gets that feedback.

I didn't even think she was opening the can with her nail. When I first saw it I thought of a woman sitting somewhere playing with the ring of the can then resting her hand flirtatiously on the can and showing off her flirtatious red shellac, the power in her hand indeed ;)
But that's just me, I like the poster

I can, hand on heart say, shellac and me and my guitar are not a good mix. But I don't have the nails that shellac is perfect for.

I like the look of the can poster, it's very fresh and modern (not seen the guitar one) but I'd think carefully knowing my client base as I do about using it.

So I understand people's frustration with the ad and I hope that CND gets that feedback.

They have :)

Appreciate everyones points. I honestly don't think we are going to see a rash of people demanding redo's because they saw the picture, but I totally get the comments and value the feedback (which has gone back to marketing).

I dont really mind the can one, but i really dont like the cheese greater poster, ad i alway tell client to be carfull whilst grating cheese and i have fixed quite a few nails that have been greated off you cannot grete cheese and scrape the nails and the shellac be fine the same as if you had normal polish on.

And if the poster is not ment to imply that you can grate your nails and they will be fine then i dont see the point in it.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

I personally think this is an amateur looking poster and not one I will be rushing to get, I would feel quite embarrassed to display this in a professional environment. Yes, CLIENTS TAKE THINGS LITERALLY! And will then complain if they do this and break a nail!. FACT!

Totally agree.... We educate on looking after nails then display a poster showing this! There will always be clients trying it on x

Do you think the guitar image will send everyone off for guitar lessons with Shellacked nails?

I saw the picture with the guitar and LOVED it! I do remember chuckling to myself though as I am a singer with a few local bands and know that no one who plays will let me shellac them :(
But then again they are mostly guys :biggrin:

I always open ringpulls with a spoon handle or get hubby to do it as when I originally trained eh hem years ago with backscratchers that was one of the things they emphasized not to use your fibreglass nails to open cans! I'm on the fence with the poster and would prefer the guitar picture as a poster because I love it. I don't think it will necessarily encourage people to use a ringpull, if you like the poster but are worried why not mention it to clients in a 'but don't be naughty like the lady in the poster' jokey kinda way?

Latest posts

Back