Shoot Me Down

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Geek

Sweet Heart
Premium Geek
Reaction score
I have been thinking about 2 things recently!!!
Number One
Do we really need to use this expression 'shoot me down' when unsure of questions or answers???? I keep hearing it and frankly, I am sick and tired of it!! I don't know anyone on this site that 'shoots people down'! If someone 'shoots someone down - please PM them and Oozie them back!! :confused: Meanwhile if I am missing something, then TELL ME!!!

Number Two
From reading posts on this site and from chatting to people, we have realized that many GEEKS were either too shy :o to say hello or for-what-ever-reason didn't feel they could, should - hell maybe they just didn't want to.... at the recent EXCEL SHOW;

PLEASE - introduce yourself at shows - isn't that what it's all about??? I don't know anyones name properly, but if someone said Hi I'm Sassay Hassy or Glittergirl or Fab Nails - I would know and be happy to say hi!! GMG is exactly the same - as would be Anthony, Geeg etc - it is so cool to meet you guys!!! Don't be shy - life's too short! :cool: Please say Hi at GMEX! :biggrin:

Hi, lol, i met GMG at excell, i was with debs and she seemed to know a few people on the cnd stand, but i was too shy to introduce myself (although he knew i was a geek cos debs told him that much) didnt think he'd know me anyway! if i meet him or any one of you again i promise i will introduce myself.....honest :)

sorry i was one of those geeks who couldnt say hi to gmg i recognised him and i lost my tongue i was star struck i couldnt believe i was standing right next to GMG sorry i got all tongue tied xx

I was really nervous!!!! i wasnt too sure what to say! the other half laughed at me but i was a bit scared to be honest. I thought that people mite think i was a nutta if i just suddenly came lurking from the crowd saying "hi im sam and im a geeklette from croydon how are you" or something like it!!!

but next time i will try. I am quite shy tho.:rolleyes:

hi yes im very much guilty of this, even though Sam enhanced one of my friends nails - and i must say learnt a huge amount just from the short time it took him to do it, and i did pluck up courage to ask lots of questions ! too good an opportunity not too !

Its mostly because i am shy (yes i am ! before anyone shouts back !!!) and because i have such a boring user name that no-one will know who i am anyway if i was to introduce myself :o

I did bump into layla (laystar) frequently ! we always seemed to be by the Creative Stand ! mmmm lol, and met Suey who was with her too, and of course very very quick hello to Ruth (nails in london) on her way into the show to get ready for the comp !

Great thread Samantha and you are SO right x

kx

Another hands up to guilty of acute shyness!

Hi there

I must admit that as a rule I am not a shy person, however, when I am at any of the shows I even get embarassed by watching the demo's. I think it is because I am so in awe of you top guys out there. My boyfriend keeps telling me that your only human, however I don't think he understands that to us humble nail techs, you are the Beckhams and Minogue's of our world. Tres embarasing.

Me too, I didn't say hi, even when I nearly fainted I still was too shy. Don't think he'll forget me now though!

Hi Mrs Geek....well I'd like to meet you at the GMEX....I'm a lil newbie here so I'm sorry if it sounds dumb but I don't know what you look like....any photo's I can have a look at....that'll make sure I say hi to the right person(s) if I get the opportunity to meet you at GMEX (I hope I do!!!) :)

Well I guess shyness seems to be the 'dish of the day' for many of us!! I am sure that I can speak for afew of us here when I say that it is a true pleasure to meet you guys and to help if we can!! I guess we don't always realize the perceptions that many of you have because as thenaillounge pointed out (or rather her boyfriend did) - we are all human - I have kids, look like hell in the morning, have off days etc - but my true love as anyone who knows me well knows - meeting and talking to others - it's my thing and always will be so it doesn't matter if you are Karen with one or 2 'r's' or whoever - if you are a geek, then you are part of the Geek Family - OMG I have suddenly developed 2700 sisters and 150 bros???? Just kidding....just seems a shame that we can happily type away and yet be too shy to say hi - no more - step out of the comfort zone and let's talk nails!!! :D

Mrs Geek said:
I have been thinking about 2 things recently!!!
Number One
Do we really need to use this expression 'shoot me down' when unsure of questions or answers???? I keep hearing it and frankly, I am sick and tired of it!! I don't know anyone on this site that 'shoots people down'! If someone 'shoots someone down - please PM them and Oozie them back!! :confused: Meanwhile if I am missing something, then TELL ME!!!

I think this is simply a phrase which geeks are using as a security blanket. We offer our advice or opinion knowing that it may be slightly inaccurate or controversial but advising all the same.
It's simply a guard saying 'if I'm wrong don't harass me wagging your finger in an 'I told you so sort of way' or 'I know you don't wan't to hear this but I'm gonna say it anyway' almost half expecting some sort of re dress on the matter.
Also some, myself included, have in the past replyed to threads knowing some sort of backlash is iminent due to the contributors of the post in question.

I reckon I might have said it in the past & if I look back into my posts, could probably guess where I've said it.

SORRY

Wow Mrs Geek...lovely photo..thanks....will def come see you at the Creative stand at GMEX...

Well I am not shy, So will come up to you at g-mex and hug you Samantha my little sis lol

Hands up - believe it or not - Scottish and shy and retiring. I did see Sam, Ruth and quite a few others but thought gosh I can't interrupt them, they're THE real nail geeks! I know it is silly and that you'll be annoyed with me thinking that but, hey, it's tough at the bottom! I promise though, next time I'll definitely pluck up the courage and say a big hi! Sorry xxx

LOL I will expect a lot of geeky huggs next month at Gmex...............
This post has brought back the memories of Olympia last year meeting Samantha and Samuel for the first time............

LOL Layla, Faye and I where the shy ones lol......(NOT)........we scared the pants out of Samantha and targeted Samuel at the Seminar.......... Super Sonic Sculpting will be one of my most fond memories to this day xxxxxxxx

So as they say faint heart never won a friend lol........... So if you see any off us, grab us and let us know who you are xxxx
We really dont bite lol...........

I absolutely definitely want to meet everyone at G-Mex that was so supportive during my jaunt in hospital!! You will all hear me before you see me! :D Shy was something God left out with me I'm afraid! J xx

Thanks for fixing the quote Samantha, don't know what went wrong there.

If I manage to get to Gmex I'd like to think that I'd be brave enough to say 'hello' but that remains to be seen. I know that I'd be dead nervous though despite the fact that you've encouraged us all to do so. Heck you might get sooo harassed you may have to start going in disguise, then we will really be confused.

Hi

:o got to say i am guilty too!!

I was at the leeds acadamy on monday and i saw sam quite a few times but didnt say hello!

I guess i felt a bit silly! and he looked busy too!

I am coming to g-mex so i will try to make the effort!

princessmowgli said:
Thanks for fixing the quote Samantha, don't know what went wrong there.

If I manage to get to Gmex I'd like to think that I'd be brave enough to say 'hello' but that remains to be seen. I know that I'd be dead nervous though despite the fact that you've encouraged us all to do so. Heck you might get sooo harassed you may have to start going in disguise, then we will really be confused.
It has just dawned on me that when I first met Jan Arnold of CND I felt just like what many of you have described - nervous, like I shouldn't say hi because she was 'Jan' and had more important fish to fry than saying hi to me - I couldn't have been more wrong and I still mentor her today!! BUT, I still can't imagine you thinking these thoughts about me:o crazy!! Now to disguises :) you will know me (like JoJo) because I am quite loud (notice I say quite) but also my GMEX funky tights!!! PrincessMowgli - I look forward to meeting you - you better say HI!! we are the same age and I am older than you by 3 days!!!!:)

princessmowgli said:
I think this is simply a phrase which geeks are using as a security blanket. We offer our advice or opinion knowing that it may be slightly inaccurate or controversial but advising all the same.
It's simply a guard saying 'if I'm wrong don't harass me wagging your finger in an 'I told you so sort of way' or 'I know you don't wan't to hear this but I'm gonna say it anyway' almost half expecting some sort of re dress on the matter.

I think Princess Mowgli is spot on with her answer to the 'shoot me down' question....it is said as a security thing. I know I would use it if I thought the answer I was giving was right but had very slight doubt!! (Which is most of the time!!!!!....a confidence thing!!!!)

I met some lovely Geeks but I didn't make myself known to GMG....he looked far too busy....well apart from the time I saw him outside having a break....(busted again!!! :lol: ) and I thought that was his time so I didn't say Hi. I think it unlikely that I will be able to go to GMEX but I will say hello another time!!

Oh by the way Samantha.....photo of the 'funky tights' on the site please so we can all see just how funky!!!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back