Should I buy a spray tan machine off ebay??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*sarah*

Pmu Geek
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a nail tech at the moment and have decided to branch out into tanning and waxing, I was going to go with sienna x package as the people at my CND centre are fab but freind bought "a pig" hvlp machine from fake bake and it looks fab and I really like the results, only thing is I want to use xen tan, (so dont need any fake bake solution) and have seen an almost identical "pig" on ebay with a 12 month warranty for £105 including p&p should I buy this?
Thanks xx

Will it come with a warranty?

yes comes with a 12 month warranty, I'm going to call fake bake 2moz see if they do a deal with out soloution but I doubt it lol xx

yes comes with a 12 month warranty, I'm going to call fake bake 2moz see if they do a deal with out soloution but I doubt it lol xx

Why dont you just buy the xen tan one. Its £300 and you get the machine, the solution and the tent.

Kate

Obviously its freedom of choice as to where you buy equipment from and yes you can save a bit here and there if you spend endless hrs shopping around.

Maybe worthwhile thinking from a different perspective and buy from your chosen brand..im sure you will expect them to support you..isn't it only right and proper to support them also.

Prices for equipment supplied by the various brands out there have dropped considerably these days.

Also give issues such as warranties...ok so a warranty is given..what is it...will you have to send the machine in to whomever you bought it from..they repair it and send it back....your not spray tanning for a couple..maybe 3 weeks and loose revenue and customers.

Buying from a brand means they want you back up and running as fast as possible so you don't loose business and neither do they.

Cheap isn't always cheap in the long run

HTH

I was in the exact same predicament as you 2 weeks ago!

I contacted Sienna X and had a rep come round, demo the machine and sprayed me to check out the solution. I then also looked on ebay to see if i could save myself some cash.

In a nutshell, yes i could get the machine and tent cheaper on ebay BUT i decided the £100 ish pounds i would have saved could just as easily be wasted if I had a problem and couldnt contact anyone etc.

I did buy from Sienna just rather than the package i brought a machine, tent and lotion and that alone saved me £200!

My local rep is very nice and although i havent had to call on her for help im sure it would be no trouble at all.

PS I didnt book training with them either. My insurance company are happy with a letter from my college lecturer to say she has trained me.
It isnt exactly rocket science and my first spray tan with NO training yeilded excellent results and did my husbands when i made him tan me! Although i put this down to good equipment and solution rather than technique!

A brand new machine is as little as £175 so the extra £75 may bring you alot more peace of mind etc

Hi guys, I'm a nail tech at the moment and have decided to branch out into tanning and waxing, I was going to go with sienna x package as the people at my CND centre are fab but freind bought "a pig" hvlp machine from fake bake and it looks fab and I really like the results, only thing is I want to use xen tan, (so dont need any fake bake solution) and have seen an almost identical "pig" on ebay with a 12 month warranty for £105 including p&p should I buy this?
Thanks xx

NO the warranty would only be valid for the original buyer so even if they gave you the original receipt it would be invalid,
and i call that expensive for second hand goods that you don't know how well they have been cared for,
have a look at this link if you are watching the pennies,
you can buy a machine from reputable distributors cheaper than ebay with no other commitment, hth :hug:

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmm perhaps not such a good idea then, did'nt have a spare min to call fake bake today rushed off my feet (which is good in a way lol) will defo call 2mrw and see what they say. I dont mind the shopping around at all, and if Xen Tan did the "pig" i would buy from them but the machine they have is U.G.L.Y !:lol: looks like a carpet cleaner or wall paper stripper, now I know that is complete vanity on my part but i want the pig now i've seen it lol I'll also find out if the company on ebay have a direct website and call them there were a few selling them, I'm an avid ebayer for personal things and have never had a problem but will defo check out all options and info before I make a decision. Many thanks for the input though guys given me alot to think about xx

I seriously would not use anything that I bought from eBay on clients cos as people have said you don't know how its been used, was it well looked after, why are they selling it? etc.

I have recently bought a cheap nail efile from eBay just to use on tips to have a play with creating cut out style designs. I would never use this drill on a client, or even my own natural nails for that matter, but thats just my choice. If and when I decide to buy a efile I will get it from somewhere reputable such as NSI or Young Nails (the latter incidently offer 2 hours free training when you purchase one of their files)

hope that helps

anne xx

Thanks xx

there are legit businesses that do sell on ebay and your payment will be protected if you purchase through paypal, these companies also sell direct from there own websites as well so dont tarnish authorised sellers with genuine companies with warranties with the dodgy ones out there. they are only trying to make a living like all of us.

there are a few companies i can name that i know offer wanrantees with there equipment and a full back money guarantee with there solutions

i know there are a lot of undesirable people on there but with a little research and asking the right questions you will get the right answers.

I totally agree Tracey, just wondered what other peoples opinions were, and if they had had any experience buying professional equipment from ebay sellers. I buys loads of stuff from ebay and am quite savvy and this looks like a fantastic deal! just waiting on fake bake sending me out info on there machines as they may be doin just as good a deal and can train with them too, glad someone else is sticking up for ebay lol xx

there are legit businesses that do sell on ebay and your payment will be protected if you purchase through paypal, these companies also sell direct from there own websites as well so dont tarnish authorised sellers with genuine companies with warranties with the dodgy ones out there. they are only trying to make a living like all of us.

there are a few companies i can name that i know offer wanrantees with there equipment and a full back money guarantee with there solutions

i know there are a lot of undesirable people on there but with a little research and asking the right questions you will get the right answers.

Hi

Just wanted to post this thread to let you know that I am selling a full start up set on ebay!

I went to the Professional Beauty Show in manchester in October as I was renting above a hairdressers, two weeks after buying it the Hair Salon closed down leaving me no choice but to relocate, as i have the Hair Salon I am working at now already to spray tans, which leaves me needing to sell my full tanning system on which has only been used 3 times. I AM prepared to sell items sepratly as all of this may be out of your price range but take a look at what I am offering. It is for Seinna X and Fake Bake i was going to offer both.

It includes:

A full list of the equipment offered is:
  • FAKE BAKE Spray Tanning System, HVLP (High Volume, Low Pressure), compessor, gun, hoses, etc. - Retail £200
  • FAKE BAKE Pop-up Tent - Retail £100
  • 1 Full Bottle of ORIGINAL 946ml Fake Bake tanning solution (Good for approx 12 spray tans) Retail price - Retail £40
  • 1 Full Bottle of DARK 946ml Fake Bake tanning solution (Good for approx 12 spray tans) Retail price - Retail £40
  • 1 Half Bottle of ORIGINAL 946ml Fake Bake tanning solution (Used as tester when purchased and good for approx 6 further Spray tans)
  • 1 Full Bottle of Fake Bake Oil Free Moisturiser - Retail £40
  • Permanent OR Mobile Solar EX500 Extractor Fan with Filter specifically designed to work with spray tanning systems. (Retail £250)
  • 50 Disposable Thongs
  • 1 Bottle of 8.5% 1 Litre SIENNA X tanning solution - Used only once for 1 tan (Good for approx 11 further spray tans) Retail price - approx £35
  • 1 Full Bottle of 10% 1 Litre SIENNA X tanning solution - (Good for approx 12 spray tans) Retail price - approx £40
  • 1 Full Bottle of SIENNA X Barrier cream 500ml - Retail £8
  • 1 Full box of Sticky feet (50 Pairs) - Retail £20
  • 50 Sienna X Top up tan moisturiser pouches 15ml each - Retail £21 - (Can be sold each for £1 upwards)
  • 50 Sienna X Look great naked moisturiser pouches 15ml each - Retail £21 - (Can be sold each for £1 upwards)
  • 50 Sienna X Exfoliating wash pouches 15ml each - Retail £21 - (Can be sold each for £1 upwards)
There is over £800 worth of equipment here and the potential to carry out approx 50 spray tans at £20 each equate to £1000
The equipment and solutions offered could pay for themselves pretty quickly as can be seen

This is a good opportunity for anyone wanting to set up a tanning business.

Last edited:
Whilst ebay does tend to have a certain 'stigma' attached to it, there are also a lot of genuine sellers on there too. The most important thing for you to do is to research the seller as much as possible before committing to buy anything. See if they exist off ebay as well, very often their user name is the same as their business, and just a quick search on google could bring up their actual website, or other peoples reviews on them from past dealings, etc.

If you pay for the items using paypal then you're generally also fully protected too, so as long as you've done your research, the seller has lots of good feedback, and everything seems okay then you often stand to get a bit of a bargain, you just need to be that little bit more careful...!

Al

Latest posts

Back