Should I move my business back home? Mucho advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
Hi peeps!! I am in a real quandry at the mo and I really need as much advice as I can get right now, so please help me!
I have been renting space in a hair salon since September 2003, in June of this year I took over the first floor with 2 nail stations, a beauty treatment room and a permanent make up (PMC) treatment room. Business was doing really well until the last week of September and now we are down a minimum of £1000 per month on our takings ( the interest rate rise has hit hard in this area). I really cannot continue as we are financially, and so have thought about working from home again which will release me £100 per week, plus another £150 if I sold my car and used my daughter's whilst she is at University, as I wouldn't need one so much if I worked from home.

• We get very little walk in trade, or trade from the salon (mainly old biddies), nearly all my clients come from my directory advertising, or word of mouth, so I don't benefit from a visual presence although admitedly we are at the "quiet" end of town.
  • The salon is very drab looking from the front and the owner had a baby in March and seems to have lost total interest in it, particularly since their business has gone though the floor too (it seems to be rife around her), so it's not very inviting (although when you come upstairs everyone says how lovely it is.)
  • I am registered with the Council to do my PMC there, which I couldn't do from home (have thought about using their room on an ad hoc basis and paying a daily fee, or a percentage of takings as commission), but even if I didn't do it all I could still be £200 per month better off, or £350 if I sold the car (i have a £250 a month lease to pay back)
  • I would have to lay off Kelly who is only 18 and such a sweatheart. She only works Fridays and Saturdays.
  • I am worried that if I move out then they won't give my mobile number to enquirers so no new business any way (my Thomson Local ad is renewed in April, and YP not until August)
So do you think I am panicking too much?
Should I give it a few more months?
Should I look for a better salon to rent in?
Should I go the whole hog and open my own premises, where I have total control, a fully visible shop front that would look welcoming?

Guys, all I can think about at the mo is how I am going to pay the next bill and it will soon start to make me ill. Sorry to bring such gloom on the site, but please I really, really need some impartial advice as it's chewing me and I dont' want to make the wrong move.

Sarah
Although I do not feel I have the knowldege to offer my advice, I do understand how you are feeling and offer you my support.
I send you love and hugs.....keep your chin up chicken it will all work out for the best.

Clare x

Thanks so much Clare for your kind words, they really mean a lot to me. Do you at least have a gut feeling of what I should do? If it were you and you were in the same predicament what would you look at doing?

Hi Sarah

It's difficult to help you make that decision, there are so many factors to consider, but I didn't want to read and run :rolleyes:

Reading between the lines (and this is purely my opinion and means nothing in the grand scheme of things) I hear a couple of things:-

1) the salon is too quiet - it's in the wrong part of town
2) it's not particularly inviting
3) You're upstairs so no-one can peek in and have a nosy at what you do
4) But you do like running it

You've gained loads of experience in running the business, which I think you can put to very good use, you just need to be in total control and sited somewhere you can pick up trade from just walking past.

I'm guessing you are thinking about reducing outgoings (rent,car, etc.) because you're feeling frustrated rather than you want to close the business and relocate back in your house.

I reckon you should go the whole hog and open your own business, lovely welcoming salon, and you in total control, HOWEVER, I worry about your final paragraph about the worry making you ill - the last thing I want is for you to be ill :hug:

Probably not a lot of help, but maybe some of the other Geeks will have some other options to consider too.

T
xx

Hi Sarah

I can't really reply with any factual information but I'll tell you what my gut feeling is if I put myself in your shoes and imagine myself in the same position:

I would really want to open a salon of my own but I would keep on at the current salon until I'd done all my homework, financial planning, business planning etc, you never know business may pick up again in the mean time.

I wouldn't have the space at my home to do it all...I guess you do or you wouldn't be thinking of it!!

Clientwise, there's been discussion before about who the clients belong to. As you are self employed do the clients belong to you or would there be a furore about you taking your clients with you as they may jest get another tech in to take your place and your clients. Don't know???

How much would it cost you to set up at home, would it be more than you're currently loosing, what with building works, planning stuff and insurance costs?

Would you prefer to work from home or a salon...personally I prefer the salon, less interference with the home life and all that.

Renting in another salon in another (better)part of town....starting from scratch building up clientelle again and the rent may be more as you seem to have a v good deal there.

Sorry, I'm just typing my thoughts but I would ride the storm but look into setting up my own place, maybe as a longer term goal, not in the next few months.

I hope everything works out for you and I will be thinking of you cos you're such a lovely lady hun.

Take care.

Sarah,

:hug:
My predicament is not entirely the same as yours but I do sort of understand your feelings ... I have rented salon space 3 days a week - in the beginning the rent was daily but somehow we have come to a weekly rent whether I am there on those days or not and am now having to pay it regardless! So it is a worry when I have a quiet week that my takings are gone on rent and product! But if it were not for this salon then I would be stuffed anyway because the majority of my clients have come from the owners hair customers. I am also in the process of setting up from home too but will have to rely on advertising for that - and neither place is going to benefit from passing trade as the salon is off the beaten track.
I have been thinking about you and your situation and sympathise hun ... what a rotten time for it to happen too. It is a hard call to make. Everywhere we look these days there are nail bars and salons and mobile nail techs starting up and unless you have very loyal clients there will always be some who will go a try the "new place" especially the younger ones. It is a real concern that we can succeed and make a good business. I know that I am not the only one who has spent a lot of money to get to where I am now let alone the money it is going to cost for further training next year - so my plight is no greater than any other professional technician.
But what to do in your situation? Honestly I think it is only a call you can make. If you have built up your clients and they will come wiht you then that is ok ... can you register at home for your permanent make up? and readvertise for your home salon? Slap up some big posters :)
Sarah I think whatever you decide will be the right decision for you and I wish you all the best and some peace :) You are one of the nicest people I know on this site and are so helpful and lovely to everyone else and always take the time to answer peoples queries so I really do hope everything works out as you wish :)
Sorry if I have waffled.
:hug:
Jo x

Hi ya...

Ooh what a dilemma, this is the kind of rut i normally find MYSELF in!

The general 'vibe' i get from your post is....possibly deep down there are more minus points than plus points to staying at your current premises.

I work from my salon at home in the evenings and weekends and i am just 'ticking' over. ......every nail bar/salon in my surrounding area is RAMMED/FULLY BOOKED at the moment and they charge a lot more than i do...it guts me to drive past my local 2 salons i see the 2 nail stations always being used.

I am seriously considering starting to keep my eye open for a place myself.

Everyone seems to be renting spaces these days ( i have 2 buddys renting a table in a salon). I dont think i could do it...be beholden to anyone.

I know its nervwracking embarking on opening up yourself....leases etc etc...but its definately the way i would go...finances permitting of course!

Get Christmas out of the way and try and start the new year with a fresh outlook...be it renting a space in a new salon...returning to work at home or....jumping in at the deep end on your own!

I dont suppose this has helped make your decision but go with your gut feeling...whatever is best for you...you dont want to look back thinking if i had done that!!!

Someone once said to me...." you dont get rich diggin' someone elses ditch "
That person is my boss (& brother!!) he said that to me about 10 years ago and now he is a multi millionaire.....guess what?? I am not and i am still 'diggin his ditch' !!!

Waffle waffle sorry its soooooo long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU KNOW WHAT THIS SITE IS JUST FAB, AND YOU GUYS THAT I HAVE NEVER MET ARE JUST THE BEST!! I came to you for help and you haven't let me down. You don't know how much you have helped me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart

Trinity, you must be able to read me like a book!! I do love having my own place, and I don't want to stop doing nails and go back to a boring job that I don't enjoy, and in the big scheme of things I really want my own place. But I don't have the funding to do it and worried about taking on a business loan. I'm a single mum and have all the financial responsibilities that that brings. I am really only making myself ill because I can't find the right direction to go down at the mo (but yes you are right my own salon is the way I would go if I could).

Cathie, as my daughter is away at Uni, I can convert a bedroom into a salon. The clients are mine no problem. I pay for all my own advertising, and most of my clients are my die hard ones that followed me from when I worked at home before I moved into the salon. It wouldn't cost me much to set up from home - just a lick of paint. (I would be very naughty and not declare to the powers that be,:smack: I know bad girl!), but I do prefer the salon environment and in all honesty would prefer not to work at home, but my finances are telling me otherwise and that's my predicament.

*Jo*, It's so assuring when you hear from someone in the same (or similar) boat and doesn't make me feel like I'm the only one. There is a new nail place about a dozen doors along from us and they are dead too ( not NSS, but they do use e-files, and a bit dodgy), but the nail bar in the main end of town is always packed and their reputation sucks, so why are they so busy? cos peeps can see them. So many peeps don't even know we are there as we are invisible from the main road (apart from a ruddy great banner in the window!). But their rent and rates are £35K pa plus up that end of town, and I definitely don't want to commit to that.

I know it is my decision at the end of the day, but you guys don't know how what you have written is helping to clear my mind, so any more comments would be so welcome. ( you can tell how quiet we are, no clients today so an unexpected day off!)

*Jo* said:
Sarah I think whatever you decide will be the right decision for you and I wish you all the best and some peace :) You are one of the nicest people I know on this site and are so helpful and lovely to everyone else and always take the time to answer peoples queries so I really do hope everything works out as you wish :)
Jo, I had to give this a special mention as it really touched my heart, my daughter wanted to know why I was crying and it was because of these lovely and truly very kind words.

I try and reply as much as I can because I know how frustrating it is when you ask for advice and people are either too busy, too worried at saying the wrong thing, or frustrated that the same old topics come up again and again
and don't bother giving their views.

As far as I'm concerned the more responses a thread gets the better as we all share each others experiences, what we decide to do with that advice is up to each and every individual, and although those that have responded on this one may not think they have helped because they haven't personally been through the same experience, they have helped, more than they'll ever know and I just want to say thanks and hugs.

Sorry, maybe I should have put this on chit chat as I keep rambling back and forth to your posts!!

Minkus you are right, where I am now is not the place to be, like you say too many minuses and I know that. So I guess my options are really do I work from home or do I go all out and open my own place ..... things are becoming so much clearer in my head, thanks guys.

Hi Sarah,

I just wanted to lend my support :hug:

I spent years as a single parent....it is so hard to make choices knowing that the end result could affect your family and it's future so much.

Knowing of you on this site I am SURE that whatever decision you make will be the right one. What would you advise someone on this site that was in the same boat?? Sometimes, if you can, it helps to step back and look at it from a distance. Hard to do but it can help :wink2:

Don't forget to put the shming-shmong ping-pong nails on the menu......it'll knock 'em dead!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Good luck,
Love Nikki XXX

Aw Nikky my shming-shmong mate, that's where I'm going wrong! Had so much fun in the kitchen I forgot to put it on the menu at work!!!

Your advice is good, what would I advise someone on the site...... don't panic and be patient, fate has a way of sorting things for you (just not easy when the bills keep appearing). That's why I came to you guys, because I was finding it hard to take the steps back and be objective , and you are helping me get there. Thanks

Hi Sarah - I am sure your dilema is a very common one amongst nail technicians. If the salon owner is lacking interest in her own business, it is bound to affect everyone else based there. In an ideal situation, I would suggest you do your homework and look into setting up on your own. No doubt, money is an issue but I would look into any government funding which may be available - perhaps check out Business Link. Nothing there to accommodate me, but opportunities for funding vary in different parts of the country. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! If that is a no-go option, I would stay put until after the Xmas/NY period and research other premises to rent in your local/surrounding area. You also don't want to replace your current stress with heavy financial stress. You obviously have a faithful client base who would follow you if you were to move not too far. Why not set up in a more high-profile set-up where there is a bigger demand for your services. I know there would most lilkely be bigger rental, etc, but hopefully that could be addressed with the bigger income you would have. I currently work from home and although it does have its plusses, I don't think it is ideal since it intrudes on my homelife, is not big enough (c10' x 6') is not BANG in the high street and does not attract passing trade. I would feel it as a step back for you, unless you have the ideal space and set up at home. So, bide your time for the next few weeks and then get investigating other local possibilities. I know there are loads of other nail bars nearby but I am sure very few of them would be able to offer as good a service as you. That is why you have loyal clients! Sorry to have rabbled ... Let us know what you decide and good luck!

Hii Sarah - sorry to hear you're having a tough time:sad: Unfortunately this is a dilemma that faces nearly all self employed folks and isn't confined to nail techs. I've heard quite a few people saying that they are finding things tough at the mo. I guess a lot of what you decide to do depends on a number of things. How much capital you have behind you will be the decider on how long you can finance your venture in it's current location. If you can ride it out for a bit then it may be that things will pick up plus you can do things to try and encourage business. Would there be any way that you could speak to the hairdressers and see if they can shoosh up their frontage a bit and perhaps advertise your services more prominently? Presumably that would also benefit their business as the more people you get walking through the door and through their premises the more likely people are to make an appointment with them. Would they be interested in some joint advertising - which would share costs.

I think writing down the pros and cons is a good move - it's easier to sort it out in your head then. Then you can identify whether the pros outweigh the cons or vice versa.

You may decide to cut your losses and return to working from home - but remember if you do that, it doesn't have to be forever. This venture will have given you a great deal of experience of what works and what doesn't so when you're ready to look for another location you will have a better idea of what would work best for you.

Have you been in touch with any of the small business advisors - local councils often have people you can go to see who can give you advice not just with regard to money but also marketing etc. I know they run courses as well - my mum went on one many moons ago for her business.

I think as has been said, the last thing you want is to let this get to a stage where it is affecting your health, and if you're worrying about it so much that it is making you ill then is it really worth it? Why not check out some other options - perhaps renting space along with some other techs in a busier part of town? Or would there be enough room in your current premises to bring in another one or 2 nail techs who would be self employed to share the costs and contribute to advertising etc?

I think what is important to remember is that just because one thing doesn't work out as we'd anticipated doesn't mean that there isn't something even better waiting for us round the corner.

So hang in there Sarah and keep us posted as to how you get on!

Best wishes:hug:

GUILTY of reading this post earlier & not knowing what to suggest so guess what.....I suggested nothing & scarpered.

Well having thought it through somewhat here's my suggestions.
Why not have a chat with the owner. It's surely in her best interests also to up trade somewhat. I know babys are coo coo & hard work but when the time comes she will need a salon & clientel to return to. Letting the business go to the dogs is not ideal. Babys cost a small fortune.
How about suggesting you give the shop front a big of a makeover. If she expects you to chip in then this will need to be relected in some flexibility with the rent.
What about having a table downstairs so as to let peeps know you're on site. You don't need to sit at it just make it look like a working station.
Is there any way of letting peeps on the main street know where you are re: signpost, sandwich board etc.
Is there a nightclub in the area? If so ask if you can put some biz cards in the loos or pop along & give them out in the queue.
Just a few suggestions, maybe not soo good but I've tried :biggrin:

Hi Sassy - i feel sad you are down at the mo hun - you are obviously a smashing girl and a top notch technician...

anyway I hate to post and run but I have to be quick..

Why not get try and do a right up for the local rag- speak to the editor maybe offer her some treatments to try in a trade for some editorila...

try and get you nail desk down by the window for maybe just one week to get some more exposure.....

drag family and friends into help you do a leafelt purge on the street....

Get some balloons in chrimbo colours tied to your a board.....

Could you offer a Deal for buy for a 3 times visit for nails say buy your full set, infills & rebalance now and book and get a 10% discount (non refundable of course....

Could you get a mortgage holiday and use this for the rent! or is that just a false economy/desparate measure...

why not look to move premises find something smaller but on your own which has more exposure to the clients, speal to your local counsil maybe they could advise of wots avail..

You might be jumping the gun, but I cant see your books or projections, but why not look back at your BP for a refresher and look at the number of enquiries generated by any advertising are they being rentained (sorry no offence hun :wink2: ) but if some aren't then maybe a mailler to existing customers to remind them of you superb services you offer it couldn't hurt..

or try selling vouchers to men for the wives for Chrimbo presses, thats always a welcome gift IMO as a girlie...

Sass, you mentioned about the number not being passed onto new enquiries if you were to move, so I wondered is it shared with the other business if not you could have the calls redirected to your mobile I think...

hope this helps and if not I will keep on coming with ideas....chin up my friend its never easy but somethings are worth fighting for....

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions and messages of support. Guess I'm feeling sorry for myself, and a bit worried about what lies ahead ie will business get better or god forbid even worse.

I have tried to get the owner of the salon to tart up the front but she has no interest whatsoever. She just complains that the salon isn't making any money. I have an A-board in lime green (very stylish!!!) and a huge banner in the window to try and attract attention, but people are lazy and so the nail bar up the busy end of town get all the trade (walked passed today an they were busy) and we get no passing trade as we are at the quiet end of town.

I'm going to print this all off and go through all of your great ideas one by one when I am off at Crimbo. I will definitely make an appointment with my bank's business advisor, I did try Business Link before but sadly they were useless. I had never thought of asking the Council for advice so that's another one I will look into.

I guess as my mind clears I am just frustrated at the lack of business acumen the hair salon owner has and how disinterested she has become, and I know that my business will not move forward as I need it to if I stay where I am. Like I say we get little walk in trade so I may as well be at home and save the rent. But I love working in a salon, and so if that is the way ahead I will either need to find my own place, or rent sapce in a better location.

Sorry I haven't replied individually to you all but I really appreciate your time and thoughts..... and I hope I haven't depressed you all!!!!

just another thought ... have you noticed that there are always salons that always seem to be busy ... I think part of that is when passing trade see a full salon they immediately think good salon - yeah I know that's not always the case! So how about you try sitting near the window and get as many folks as poss in (even if it's family and friends getting discounted treatments) then if people see you working away they might be more inclined to come in for an appointment?

Sending you lots of positive thoughts!

just a little thought from me,

how about moving business back home for a year, thus reducing your outgoings, giving you time to look for other premises that right for you (not just right now premises!). then with the money you save over the year you could furnish your salon.
your nails are great so customers will keep coming back to you where ever you are.:hug:
By the way, on the ping pong schming schmong side, can I interest you in a couple of dremmels?!!!!!:biggrin: :lol: :wink2: :D

take care

Debz xxx

Hiya Sarah
Sorry to hear about your predicament. However I think you have received some good ideas. You do need to work out your finances, especially with the quieter month of Jan/feb coming up. If you are in the quiet end of town and nothing can make people come down your end then maybe your home salon would be better. You could really have a bit of a marketing purge at this point. If your business picks up then take your time to investigate your own salon in the right part of town. The right premises at the right rent are usually snapped up and I dont think you will necessarily find them quickly. If the owner of the hairdressers is not interested and wont let you move downstairs which I think could be better for you, then you might as well cut your losses and move home. HTH
Liz

Latest posts

Back