"shut Up" The Salon Owner Said To Me...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prinza

Reaction score
hey guys i have a huge problem...

ok first i had this problem:
http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/52350-im-renting-room-having-issues-owner.html

NOW... today i checked i took friday off right, and the manager erased my name and hired a new person to do pedis, manis, stuff when i am off so they get my clients?!?! :( UGH! well i asked her why she did that, i thought i did all that in here... and she said well this is a business u cant just take days off here and there... i explained to her that i pay her rent and that means i make my own rules, hrs, etc. she dosnt seem to understand... so then i said... you dont pay me to work here... i pay you rent thats why i make my own hours...

and she said....

"SHUT THE F*** UP"

i was so angry that i said back "No U shut up F**ing bi**h".

Then she yelled "GET OUT OF MY SHOP, IM CALLING THE COPS, GET OUT"

I said "No... I rent here, i dont need to get out, i pay you rent... give me the rest of my rent back and i will leave tomrow no problem".

OMG... i was horrifed. THERE WERE COUSTOMERS IN THE SHOP STARING... can you belive this?!?!?

I know i was wrong to swear back... but i guess that was just a angry reaction. :( She had no right to say that to me. I never said anything like that to her at all,, ever.

So then she ran and got her husband, and he came in the back and told me to come outside to talk to him, i said ok. He agreed with her and said "I didnt need to be agressive when i asked about the new mani/pedi lady"

I explained to him that i wasnt being agressive that i was confused because i thought i was doing all that. he said this is a business... blah blah blah u need to be here blah blah.. i was so mad. LIKE WTF!??! the only reason i rent is so i can make my own hours. they dont seem to understand that. i said ok i can leave but i want my rent back, he said he cant give it back to me.

I am at work 9:30 to 5:30 sometimes until 7PM and so what if i take a day off here and there. i work Mondays-Fridays.

The owner who is a hair dresser isnt even in that much and sometimes she makes her clients wait and dont even show up with they have an appoitment.

So then my husband came to discuess further, i didnt want to deal with them fro the way they were treating me. :(

THey said "I NEED TO WORK AS A TEAM" I need to sweep the shop, i need to clean too. when i do clean all my "Own" mess. I pay them rent... so why should i clean their ****?!?!?!? they dont pay me as a employee???

THey also want me to come to their "STAFF MEETING" when all the staff that is there will get paid to be there but i wont be... wtf?!?!

i cant belive this. :( HORRIBLE. i am honestly a very nice person but only if i get treated nice. if people step over me i put my gaurd up and i dont take it. :( i feel horrible... i put $2500 into this business. and even more for the scholling i did. its like they are trying to steal my clients. and no after the 4 months are up theyre just gonna replace me and make money off my coustomers. :(

I feel like a wimp too cause i cried alot... OMG AHHHHH i need to be tough!!! :/
maybe this just isnt the business for me...

I dont know how the laws about this are here?? I am located in B.C. Canada.

help please.....
MUCH LOVE. xoxo:cry:

BTW the contract ends at the end of may

i guess i should just suck it up until then and leave after

hey guys i have a huge problem...

ok first i had this problem:
http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/52350-im-renting-room-having-issues-owner.html

NOW... today i checked i took friday off right, and the manager erased my name and hired a new person to do pedis, manis, stuff when i am off so they get my clients?!?!
first question i need to ask...do they give you clients (walk ins and call ins) without charging you for them or do you go out and advertise and bring in your own clients?

:( UGH! well i asked her why she did that, i thought i did all that in here... and she said well this is a business u cant just take days off here and there... i explained to her that i pay her rent and that means i make my own rules, hrs, etc. she dosnt seem to understand... so then i said... you dont pay me to work here... i pay you rent thats why i make my own hours...
She is wrong in thinking you can't make your own hours and days..that is the rights of a bootrenter. self employed.
You are wrong in thinking you make your own rules. You may work for yourself BUT you work inside of HER business. What you do and how that salon is ran is a direct hit to Her business name. Your name isn't on the door .;)

and she said....
Blah blah blah...........and called her husband in

I explained to him that i wasnt being agressive that i was confused because i thought i was doing all that. he said this is a business... blah blah blah u need to be here blah blah.. i was so mad. LIKE WTF!??! the only reason i rent is so i can make my own hours. they dont seem to understand that. i said ok i can leave but i want my rent back, he said he cant give it back to me.
It was not fair to you for them to hire in another nail tech without discussing it first with you. I own my own BR salon with 8 stylists and I sit down in staff meetings with them to discuss things of importance like this situation.

The owner who is a hair dresser isnt even in that much and sometimes she makes her clients wait and dont even show up with they have an appointment.
That really doesn't effect you does it? leave that one alone. ;) If you don't want them in your face about your hours, don't worry about what hours the owner is working. But I will say, that all of you effect each other in some way. Attitude, cleanliness, hours of operations, etc.

So then my husband came to discuss further, i didnt want to deal with them from the way they were treating me. :(

THey said "I NEED TO WORK AS A TEAM" I need to sweep the shop, i need to clean too. when i do clean all my "Own" mess. I pay them rent... so why should i clean their ****?!?!?!? they dont pay me as a employee???
In my salon, everyone helps out. Your clients walk in that salon, they see everything. Why not chip in when you are not busy and straighten magazines, check the bathroom for tidiness, dust retail and shelves off. What else is more important than the environment you work in?

THey also want me to come to their "STAFF MEETING" when all the staff that is there will get paid to be there but i wont be... wtf?!?!
LOL..team player you don't want to be... It is your choice to be a self employed Boothrenter, this is one down fall of being self employed. You think she should pay you for your time being there? Are you that valuable to her salon?:confused:

It is in my contract lease that there will be scheduled salon meetings and notice will be given in advance.
This is the time when we all get together and discuss where WE want the salon to go..what needs to be done, What needs to be started, what can be changed to make eveyone happy. No the BR's in the salon do not get paid for this..and niether do I! I usually come in on my day off to make sure everyone is secure, doing well and is happy. Pretty damn selfish of me to drag their butts in to hear their complaints on my day off and not pay them for their time..:rolleyes:
Sorry hun ...It is called being part of a business. I tell the BRs that if they chose not to show up ..they can't complain about anything as they weren't too concerned in the first place to take a hour out of their day.

i put $2500 into this business. and even more for the schooling i did. its like they are trying to steal my clients. and no after the 4 months are up they're just gonna replace me and make money off my customers. :(
I put thousands of dollars into my salon and worked my butt off getting it open, getting good stylists in there and for what? so the BR's can decide they want to work down the road and take all the clients with them? That is life hun. but again have to ask......
Do you have your clients addys and phone numbers?
How did you get your clientèle?
Are they walk ins to the salon you are working in?
I never did understand how this new person was going to get your clients :confused:

Don't you have your own cell phone that they call you for your appts?

Oh never mind, I see that you are that insecure to think for one day that this new person is going to just horde in on all your clients.. Sweetheart..If you are good and a good business person , they won't go elsewhere..trust in yourself and they will trust in YOU!
I have clients that I have done for 25 years...I know what I do is the best it can be and my clients know this too. I trust in myself and my clients trust in me to do my best.

I feel like a wimp too cause i cried alot... OMG AHHHHH i need to be tough!!! :/
maybe this just isnt the business for me...
If crying makes a person a wimp..I am the Wimpiest of them all.. I cry all the time. Instead of punching the BR's, I go home and cry...:lol: saves on lawsuits.;)

It is a business for you, it is just a very fustrating time for you. You need to give and take.
That is how a great business is ran. It isn't all about you and it isn't all about them. Understand?

I dont know how the laws about this are here?? I am located in B.C. Canada.

help please.....
MUCH LOVE. xoxo:cry:
Laws are pretty much the same..go to your local governement website and look up boothrenting laws ...or...independant contractors....of self employment..

Cheers
Jayne

Ok....so you rent a space. Do you have a contract with the owner? Do you pay for 7 days rent. If you dont have the contract and dont pay for 7 days then the owner is quite within her right to rent that space for the days you are not in the salon. It is a business after all and if she can make more money for her business then she will. Thats just the way business works. Whether she turns up for her appointments or not or if she leaves them waiting it is her downfall, it doesn't really affect your business. I would have personally attended the team meeting if I was you. I know you dont get paid for them but at the end of the day the stylists are kept upto date with your services, promotions etc which inturn would be communicated to their hair clients and possibly be potential clients for yourself. The way she spoke to you was totally out of order but dont take it personally or let it get you down, it has shown this woman for what she really is and if she treats everyone like that then she wont be in business for too long as no one will work for her. Look at it as a learning curve cos thats just what it is. Next time you go to rent a space make sure you have sole use of that space and get it down in a written contract.
David

between her "f's" and your continuous "wtf's" you sound like a pair of arguing potty mouths.

Maybe if you both sat down and talked like adults about each others expectations you could sort this out.

THERE IS A GOD..............I thought my life had finished now that Tracy Barlow has been sent down.

I'll be back at 7.30pm for the next episode. xxx

THERE IS A GOD..............I thought my life had finished now that Tracy Barlow has been sent down.

I'll be back at 7.30pm for the next episode. xxx
The next episode will be after 9 because of strong language and possible scenes of violence.

JDS,

most of the clients come directly to me and some are from the salon.
i did advertise in the newspaper also, for myself.

about the rules thing, i think that came out wrong. i ment my own rules about myself... like when i take my break and when i leave. etc.

She said that she already told me when i started that there was a call-in tech. she didnt tell me.. I guess shes lying

Ohh about her hrs, dont worry i just wrote that here, i never mention what time she comes in.

Also, I did chip in at the salon, I even swept their hair up, Its always all over the place. But when she gave me attitude for taking one day off I kinda kept my distance and cleaned my own mess up. I still helped out with the garbge and phone calls.

About the team meeting, Ive had other people tell me not to go. She told me in a very rude way saying "You have to come to the team meeting" Mabe if she told me in a nice way I would just go. I dont know.

I do have most of my clients phone numbers
My clientele calls and makes appoitments
There are some walk-ins i work on

Thank you Jayne.

Hi Jaydee,

I do have a contract, it was in that link.

I do pay rent for all the days.

Also she has had this shop for 5 years

:)

NailZoo,

I never actually said WTF to her lol i was just typing it.

She told me to shut the f up and i said it back then she kept swearing but i just kept quiet.

The Brow Queen,
The next episode is now ;) lol

JDS,

I would be a team player if i was treated with respect. Thats how i always treat them, with respect. You know i think one of the employees there is telling the owner lies about me. Who knows...:rolleyes: lol Ive caught her once, but just let it go. I thought keeping my distance would be the best, but it backfired.:irked: lol

ALSO, YES I AM that valuable to her salon!!! LOL J/K ;)

I didnt mind going to the staff meeting at first, but with all this i dont know if i am comfy to go now?

why not go to the meeting and see how it goes, it could be a good time to all air your differences, lay down all the ground rules and start again ... or it could end in fisticuffs and give us another episode to catch up on :lol: !!!! Give the meeting a go and make your mind up after then, my ethos is you only have one life and it's too short to be unhappy where you work day in day out (it's why i got into nails!)

I know one thing for sure. If I'd been a client sat in the shop witnessing all this I would never go back there.

why not go to the meeting and see how it goes, it could be a good time to all air your differences, lay down all the ground rules and start again ... or it could end in fisticuffs and give us another episode to catch up on :lol: !!!! Give the meeting a go and make your mind up after then, my ethos is you only have one life and it's too short to be unhappy where you work day in day out (it's why i got into nails!)

As usual Sassy's advice is excellent, I too would give the meeting a go, and depending on how it went, that would determine my future with this shop.

(And next time she swears at you, you gain the higher ground by far by rising above it.)

NailZoo,

I never actually said WTF to her lol i was just typing it.

She told me to shut the f up and i said it back then she kept swearing but i just kept quiet.

you don't have to say it to her, you said it in here (no matter how discreetly) and by your repetitiveness in saying it made you more of a pottymouth of yourself than your boss (all it made me think of was an un-edited/un-educated Vicky Pollard), you don't have to argue, you have to "debate", debate is done without swearing, without raising voice, just stating fact in a mature fashion.

You are both entitled to your opinion, but what you have to remember more than anything is , it's her salon, even though you are paying rent, it's still a reflection on her bushiness. I hate sounding like my own father, but imagine the roles reversed .... what would you think?

Taking Carls point here, I myself have learned that if anyone attacks you verbally, the best way to deal with it is in a calm fashion. The more people shout and swear at each other the less either of the parties will listen to one another.

I mainly learned this from my 3 year old. If I shout and bawl at him, he either switches off or shouts back! However if he has done something wrong, I calmly kneel down to his level, look him in the eye and tell him that what he has done/said is not acceptable. (This works just as well with adults!)
Obviously you don't go kneeling to them, but you get my point.

The calmer you are, the more likely they will discuss the problem, even if they were out of order to start with. Why come down to their level?

I know it sounds like I'm going off the point a little but it's just my way of explaining things with a different scenario.

Definately agree.When it comes to business you need two heads you can be hotheaded,foul mouthed,stubborn whatever, but in business to be successful and respected you need to be calm,dignified,shrewd and make situations work for you.Therefore think how going to staff meetings ,keeping the boss happy. Things you dont necessarily want to do etc etc would have worked for you.

you don't have to say it to her, you said it in here (no matter how discreetly) and by your repetitiveness in saying it made you more of a pottymouth of yourself than your boss (all it made me think of was an un-edited/un-educated Vicky Pollard), you don't have to argue, you have to "debate", debate is done without swearing, without raising voice, just stating fact in a mature fashion.

You are both entitled to your opinion, but what you have to remember more than anything is , it's her salon, even though you are paying rent, it's still a reflection on her bushiness. I hate sounding like my own father, but imagine the roles reversed .... what would you think?

this fourm is for telling your problems... big deal if i said it on "here". Its the internet, not real life. :rolleyes:

THANKS, but i dont need any of your advice with that kind of attitude. lol :)

Also, yes i will admit it was wrong of me to swear back at her.
Ive learnt my lession :) Everyone makes mistakes... right?

Also, I think i will consider going to that meeting to discuss all the concerns that I have. Thank you everyone :wink2:

I know one thing for sure. If I'd been a client sat in the shop witnessing all this I would never go back there.

I know, Im sure no one would want to come back :confused:

this fourm is for telling your problems... big deal if i said it on "here". Its the internet, not real life. :rolleyes:

THANKS, but i dont need any of your advice with that kind of attitude. lol :)

hmmmm sounds like you fight against people who don t think your way hun
maybe a bit of maturity as yes she was wrong too but at the end of the day it is her shop and her business, and if she has got where she is today doing things her way then thats the way she wants it
sorry to sound harsh but.... thats the way it is

Latest posts

Back