Sick of gloopy French polish!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolly6410

Reaction score
hey geeks, i love doing french polish but whatever white i use it gloops up, i use OPI alpine snow but seem to be replacing it every couple of months just down to how thick it goes, i don't like using nail varnish thinner but tried this the other day but by the time i got to the 4th nail it had glooped up again and i don't want to start pouring nail varnish thinner into a bottle infront of a client. Not only is gloopy polish hard to work with but i'm never happy with the results, i only have a few clients who have french so i'm losing money replacing the polish all the time. today i did french with gel polish for the first time and it looked fab! do you think it would be ok to stop doing french with normal polish and start just offering gel french?

get them over to shellac? will last longer than the three days one expects from a normal polish......

I suppose what you need to determine is whether or not your clients will be happy to pay the extra for the gel? Personally, I'd use Shellac.

ALL white polish contains titanium ... It is chalky in texture and the longer you take to paint a French, the longer the bottle stays open ... The longer the bottle stays open, the faster the solvents will evaporate ... And the faster your polish will go gloopy.

Want to know the professional 'trick' for rejuvenating your French white polish? Add a few drops of your base coat to the polish (a drop at a time) until it is the right consistency. Thinners should never be added to any polish ... They ruin it forever.

I've had really good luck with Essie's Marshmallow. Never gloopy, goes on like a dream. HTH! :)

Last edited:
I suppose what you need to determine is whether or not your clients will be happy to pay the extra for the gel? Personally, I'd use Shellac.

ALL white polish contains titanium ... It is chalky in texture and the longer you take to paint a French, the longer the bottle stays open ... The longer the bottle stays open, the faster the solvents will evaporate ... And the faster your polish will go gloopy.

Want to know the professional 'trick' for rejuvenating your French white polish? Add a few drops of your base coat to the polish (a drop at a time) until it is the right consistency. Thinners should never be added to any polish ... They ruin it forever.

Really?? Wow, you learn something new everyday!!

Thanks for all your advice ladies, very helpful. I would never of dreamt in a million years of putting base coat in a polish but its going in there tomorrow! I really dont think majority of my clients would pay the extra for shellac but would be nice if they did. Fingers crossed the base coat works or i am going to cry.

Thanks for all your advice ladies, very helpful. I would never of dreamt in a million years of putting base coat in a polish but its going in there tomorrow! I really dont think majority of my clients would pay the extra for shellac but would be nice if they did. Fingers crossed the base coat works or i am going to cry.

I wouldn't tell you to use something that didn't work would I? :Scared:
I just hope you haven't wrecked the white first by using the thinners.

Normally you would use a drop or two of base coat when you feel the White getting a little hard to work with and to stop it ever going gloopy. If your White has already gone really stiff, it might be too late to loosen it up now, as it will be hard to mix them together in the bottle.

I would put some in or on a small dish and mix with your brush or a tooth pick a little at a time to use if it has gone way too thick.

Great tip about the base coat! I'm going to have to try that. Doubtful, but wonder if that would work with Shellac?

Something that has helped me keep my white thin is to keep in it in my drawer. I've found that a dark drawer away from heat helps the white to last longer.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using SalonGeek

Great tip about the base coat! I'm going to have to try that. Doubtful, but wonder if that would work with Shellac?

Something that has helped me keep my white thin is to keep in it in my drawer. I've found that a dark drawer away from heat helps the white to last longer.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using SalonGeek

My post is strictly referring to traditional polishes You cannot do the same with Shellac.

Last edited:
The edge polishes never go gloopy!! I have had mine years (don't use it on clients) and its still fab!

The edge polishes never go gloopy!! I have had mine years (don't use it on clients) and its still fab!

If you've had bottles for years and they have not thickened and you don't use them on clients, then that indicates logically that you hardly ever use them ... So the bottles are rarely ever open and so the solvent is not evaporating from them andd so they do not thicken. :biggrin:

Believe me, if the polishes were open frequently and being used in a salon situation, they would go thick like every bother polish. :biggrin:

I regularly do a French polish on myself, as it's on myself it does last ages as it's such a small amount being used to do the tips.
Regardless I really like the edge polishes.

Latest posts

Back