Side lifting - remove nail or try and fix?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsAqua

Reaction score
Hi Team

Still lovin the site.... I'm addicted...

(I've read chasing the line - great tutorial and very imformative) But let me first say, I've have just completed my 58th set of CND nails!!!!! yay yay yay but very very very frustrated with my side walls at the free edge!!:cry:

Some, not all, have quite a bit of lifting at the side wall free edge (but not every nail so I'm getting the capping down pat). I file my zones for the rebalance, then scrubfresh and sometimes after this you can really notice the lift. If I just clean it up and don't remove the nail: 1. you can see an "obvious" line and 2. it discolours after a couple of weeks (stale yellow look - not bacteria just old nail look), then the whole nail needs to be removed! I'm wondering would you remove the nail and start over or would you fix it?? I get the nippers and remove the lifted piece then start filing, filing, filing... the rebalance is taking me 1.5 hours!! I remember when I was getting my nails done by other professionals they would have me in/out in 1 hour (no lifting!!) I'm probably expecting too much from myself, but I would just love to get this problem sorted...

What do you do when you have side wall lift?? Please help I'm going to scream!:green:

Also, how many sets of nails do you techs think you had to do before you finally rid issues :hug: I'm aiming for 100 and hopefully by then I will be problem free...??

Don't scream! It will just scare your family!:Scared:
Have you tried NSI's line out? Just fabulous. You can't cover a huge lift, but I'll bet it saves you time. A few questions, which CND monomer do you use? And do you use an electric file?
It sounds like you are well on your way, so don't give up-you'll figure it out. If you want, I'll PM you on how I eliminated most of my lifting problem.

Brooke

hey Brook, thanks :) I use CND gel. I'm liking your idea of line out.... hmmmm... will have to check with my supplier to see if they have something similar! I use nail file only and not sure if i'm filing too hard. No-one has complained that I am burning them with the file (not a bad thing!!) haha

If you had a large lift, would you remove the whole nail?

thanks again for your reply
Lisa :)

PS Brooke, That would be great if you could PM me tips on problem solving that darn free edge lift. Thanks again :)

I would go ahead and remove the whole nail if its more than a third of the nail. Using a file is great, but if you can get the training for an electric file, it could save you a LOT of time! Also, if you overfile the nail, it will lift, too. I'm such an L&P girl!:green: Have you taken that course?

Ok, that's a good rule about the 1/3 lift... unfortunately, I think some of them would fall into that catagory - bummer! I've not seen L&P ... I'm in Australia and not sure we have it here, but will do some web searching to see it's in's and outs :) I'm definately going to check out line eraser, I'm liking your idea!!! ;)

You should never use nippers (it will just make it lift further and cause pain by prising the acrylic off), be patient and file in front of the lift till it falls out.

I don't like the idea of lineout (it just runs under and fills the gap), it's lazy and it's not very sanitary to do this either.

Assess the nail and estimate how long it will take to file out the lift, compared to how long it would take to soak of, then take the faster option.

Last edited:
yeah, I agree the nippers do lift the gel more! I have another CND course in a couple of weeks and really hope to iron out these issues. It's just frustrating, when you put soooooo much effort into doing the job it it doesn't go to plan!!! :) Mind you, no-one has complained at all and I don't charge full price and all my ladies know that I'm still learning/practicing. I gotta say, I'm terrified that if I rebalance and leave air under the nail a bacteria will grow... YIKES! Thanks for your opinion :)

Line out isn't the answer...the answer lies in why you are getting this lifting in the first place. The new nail growth at a re balance needs treating the same as a new set...remove the shine...remove non living skin from the nail plate....ect. If you apply new product over lifted product (even just a little) it will show up ... can cause a greenie...can make the new product lift...so ALL lifting needs to be removed.

Thanks to all. Back to the trainer I think to show her where it's coming apart (excuse the pun)! I think I'm missing capping the free edge somehow! the cuticle is perfect! Have a great night :) Lisa

Since your removal would be by file anyway, I don't think it's necessary to remove all the product, only the lift. This link explains how to remove lift the easiest way.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/8573-file-control-part-4-during-rebalance.html

I've added this one too incase it's a prep issue causing the lift.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html

HTH

edit-oops it won't be your prep if it's lifting on the free edge. Sorry I misread your post. I'll leave the perfect prep link anyway, it's good reading.

Hi Team

Still lovin the site.... I'm addicted...

(I've read chasing the line - great tutorial and very imformative) But let me first say, I've have just completed my 58th set of CND nails!!!!! yay yay yay but very very very frustrated with my side walls at the free edge!!:cry:

Some, not all, have quite a bit of lifting at the side wall free edge (but not every nail so I'm getting the capping down pat). Is it possible you are filing off where you've capped the nail when you're refining/shaping?
I file my zones for the rebalance, then scrubfresh and sometimes after this you can really notice the lift. If I just clean it up and don't remove the nail: 1. you can see an "obvious" line and 2. it discolours after a couple of weeks (stale yellow look - not bacteria just old nail look), then the whole nail needs to be removed! I'm wondering would you remove the nail and start over or would you fix it?? I get the nippers step away from the nippes!!! and remove the lifted piece then start filing, filing, filing... the rebalance is taking me 1.5 hours 1.5hrs for a rebalance is resonable & you will get quicker with experience!! I remember when I was getting my nails done by other professionals they would have me in/out in 1 hour (no lifting!!) I'm probably expecting too much from myself, but I would just love to get this problem sorted...

What do you do when you have side wall lift?? Please help I'm going to scream!:green:

Also, how many sets of nails do you techs think you had to do before you finally rid issues :hug: I'm aiming for 100 and hopefully by then I will be problem free...??
HTH:hug:

You're lucky it only takes you 1.5 hours for a rebalance - it still takes me 2-2.5 hours :eek: In fact, the same time it takes me for a full set! I've given up trying to cut down my time as it only results in cr*p nails and hope that it will somehow get faster naturally over time.

Ok, that's a good rule about the 1/3 lift... unfortunately, I think some of them would fall into that catagory - bummer! I've not seen L&P ... I'm in Australia and not sure we have it here, but will do some web searching to see it's in's and outs :) I'm definately going to check out line eraser, I'm liking your idea!!! ;)

Hi try this web site its an Australian CND website, Creative Nail Design & Beauty Products - Pacific Nail & Beauty Australia i have been in contact with an educator through this site and she is great, find your closest educator and explain what is going on and maybe they can help you out with some one on one training on your problem areas, thats what i did, just a suggestion give it ago.

Ok, that's a good rule about the 1/3 lift... unfortunately, I think some of them would fall into that catagory - bummer! I've not seen L&P ... I'm in Australia and not sure we have it here, but will do some web searching to see it's in's and outs :)We do have this in Aussie. We call it acrylic instead of L & P I'm definately going to check out line eraser, I'm liking your idea!!! ;)

I did a rebalance on the weekend using L & P. It took me three hours even though there was no lifting. It takes me that long or longer to do a full set
My clients have sore bums by the time I finish Wish I was faster
Cheers
Karen

You should never use nippers (it will just make it lift further and cause pain by prising the acrylic off), be patient and file in front of the lift till it falls out.

I don't like the idea of lineout (it just runs under and fills the gap), it's lazy and it's not very sanitary to do this either.

Assess the nail and estimate how long it will take to file out the lift, compared to how long it would take to soak of, then take the faster option.
IF you use Line-out, you still have to do every bit as much filing as you would if you did not use it. After filing all of the lifted product off, is to scrubfresh, use a tiny amount of Line-out along the lifted area, prime and apply product. This will only disguise the line of demarcation.
I have used this product since it launched in the 90's and have NEVER experienced a bacterial infection. Its neither lazy nor unsanitary. It can actually save the client from damage to their natural nail.

IF you use Line-out, you still have to do every bit as much filing as you would if you did not use it. After filing all of the lifted product off, is to scrubfresh, use a tiny amount of Line-out along the lifted area, prime and apply product. This will only disguise the line of demarcation.
I have used this product since it launched in the 90's and have NEVER experienced a bacterial infection. Its neither lazy nor unsanitary. It can actually save the client from damage to their natural nail.

But if you have finished filing and there is still a line then surely is because you haven't removed ALL the lifting and made the product flush to the nail...??...surely spending a few mins blending the product is better all round.

But if you have finished filing and there is still a line then surely is because you haven't removed ALL the lifting and made the product flush to the nail...??...surely spending a few mins blending the product is better all round.
What I'm refering to is that tiny, tiny bit that you can't seem to file out, know what I mean? Have you tried it yet? Its fab!:)

I'm aiming for 100 and hopefully by then I will be problem free...??

lol - you'll still be on here looking for help/chat/advice when you've done 200!!!!!!:eek:

Latest posts

Back