Smile line..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

british.jem

Reaction score
Ive just been practising a whole bunch, thanks for the fantastic practise sheets. Anyways i was working on my mix ratio which is now much better and i think ive got the hang of it. But now that ive started to work on my smile line, ive noticed that i can get the right side just perfect but the left side of the smile line just isnt the same.
The right side and the curve all the way to the left side is fine but then the left side always seems to be slightly lower then the right. And never the same kind of point? If that makes sense?
Is it because im right handed that my right side is better then the left?
Any one else noticed this? As i practised more, it did get better but im thinking that its the way i hold the brush when im perfecting the left side. :rolleyes:

Hi huni,
try going to your left first then your right side, when your right handed it makes your right side more dominant. It's a tip that I was shown and it has worked for me.
HTH xxx

Thanks :) I did try that a couple of times but then when i would go and do the right saide somehow it would end up much better the the left :/ does that make sense?

You are getting a different result on the left because you are not using your brush in the same way on the left as you are on the right.

Take note of the brush angle on the right and how you use the brush (whether you use the point or the side of the brush when creating the 'ears' of the smile) and do exactly the same on the other side. It is tricky working on the reverse side of the nail but if you do the things mentioned, you will get it.

What practice sheets did u use Hun I really struggle with mine x

Last edited:
Urgh...I spent AGES practicing my smile lines at the weekend and found exactly the same thing happened to me. So frustrating!!! I'm sure it'll click soon...well I'm hoping so anyway :) x

Thank you so much for the practice sheets. New to gel nails and next week i am doing acrylics. Need to keep practicing on my smile lines so thanks for the tip.

Urgh...I spent AGES practicing my smile lines at the weekend and found exactly the same thing happened to me. So frustrating!!! I'm sure it'll click soon...well I'm hoping so anyway :) x

I hate how frustrating it is, but yet addictive to try and perfect it lol. Did you have issues on the same side? I was half temped to swing the practise sheet round and sort it that way, but then remembered i wouldnt be able to swing and flip a clients hands like that lol so perserviered (sp?) Hope you get the hang of it soon..

Thank you so much for the practice sheets. New to gel nails and next week i am doing acrylics. Need to keep practicing on my smile lines so thanks for the tip.

Not a problem, they have helped me so much and hope they can help you just as much! Saves practising on tips and other things that cost money

Hi huni,
try going to your left first then your right side, when your right handed it makes your right side more dominant. It's a tip that I was shown and it has worked for me.
HTH xxx

I agree with this totally. Also you could try using the reverse method if you are still having problems. Have a look on the Young Nails website at Greg Salo's tutorial videos for this method. A lot of techs have found this helpful. :green:

Thank u for that will get practising tomorrow x

I agree with this totally. Also you could try using the reverse method if you are still having problems. Have a look on the Young Nails website at Greg Salo's tutorial videos for this method. A lot of techs have found this helpful. :green:

Thank you i will look at it now :)

I too had this same problem when i first started out, eventually i found moving my body helped (yes sounds silly), also i practised moving my wrist giving free flow movement rather than jaggered. It will all of a sudden hit for you and when it does you will never look back.

Thanks everyone for all your advise. Ive been looking on the young nails website and Greg Salo is great! Think i might double think trying NSI and think about Young nails. Watching him do it makes it look easier then im sure it is though lol

Thanks ladies for your advice, i will practise some more today and try and take notice what im doing differently.

And here is the link to the practise sheets. There fab. Just print and lamanate at your local office supply or stables and it works great. Plus you can even ' pop' off the work you have done and really inspect it to see what you can do differently. :green:
http://www.tammytaylornails.com/Professional/PDF/Practice_Sheet/Tammy_Taylor_Practice_Sheet.pdf

That practice sheet is fab!! :) xxx

so so glad i read this thread! i am struggling so much with my nails, my timings aren't going down at all, my smile lines aren't improving i've tried the going to the left first idea and that's even worse :\ if i hadn't spent so much money on training i'd just forget about acrylic nails i really would :( *sigh* i'm going to try the practise sheets you suggested and see how i get on, thank you for sharing! :D x

No problem! Have you tried the reverse way of doing it like someone said? It helped me abit :)

Latest posts

Back