So upset: cease and desist settlement demand!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your suppliers should be your first port of call for images, after that- you're going to have to pay for them.

Here's a little template I've knocked up that should cover you as succinctly as possible.

(And as a designer, this makes MY life easier as well, trying to design a leaflet/website with no images is like pulling teeth.)

Dear Sir/Madam,
My name is -------------------- from----------------

I'm writing to see if you would have any promotional/images available for me to use either in print or on my website.

If so, could you please inform me of the license terms on those (i.e. under which circumstances may I use them, and am I able to pass them to a designer to use for me, if appropriate).

If you do have some I would be delighted to take them from you at 300dpi for use in print and 72dpi for the web. If you only have 300dpi versions, is it possible for me to downsize them for using on my website/email marketing/Facebook page etc?

Regards,

Thanks Carl

So how does this work with images posted on sites such as the Shellac one on Facebook?

Are we allowed to use the "share" function to have them show up on our business page?

Or do we need permission for this too even though it's a readily available function on Facebook??

What about viral pictures/captions? Same goes?

Sorry if this has been covered.

I understand about the photographer etc but I am talking just images that may say "Happy Friday" etc!

My head hurts, it's all a little mind bending.

Thanks Carl

So how does this work with images posted on sites such as the Shellac one on Facebook?

Are we allowed to use the "share" function to have them show up on our business page?

Or do we need permission for this too even though it's a readily available function on Facebook??

What about viral pictures/captions? Same goes?

Sorry if this has been covered.

I understand about the photographer etc but I am talking just images that may say "Happy Friday" etc!

My head hurts, it's all a little mind bending.

You're ok with sharing pages- and you're probably ok with those Facebook images, they're designed to go "viral".

Hiya, after reading this thread (which was very useful and thanks to the OP for sharing -I feel for you) I was wondering if anyone knows if I found an image on google and I wanted to use it how do I check if it is copywrited and what the license is on it. The reason I ask this is that I've seen images on google but there is multiple web addresses that it redirects me to that have used the image. Show do I find the original and if i can use it without the risk of getting into trouble? Thanks in advance x

If you haven't paid for it, or if you haven't taken it yourself, or if you haven't got the express permission of the person whose image it is, you can't use it.
If you right click on the image and go to properties you should find more info about the owner.

Hiya, after reading this thread (which was very useful and thanks to the OP for sharing -I feel for you) I was wondering if anyone knows if I found an image on google and I wanted to use it how do I check if it is copywrited and what the license is on it. The reason I ask this is that I've seen images on google but there is multiple web addresses that it redirects me to that have used the image. Show do I find the original and if i can use it without the risk of getting into trouble? Thanks in advance x

The best bet is just not to use Google images to look for images for your marketing materials. It's not worth it.

Use a proper photo-selling website.

It's very very VERY unlikely you're going to find a brilliant photo for "free".

Thanks to everyone for their advice and contributions to this thread and big thanks to the OP who started it and alerted us to this. Hope you get it all sorted it. That letter must've been a horrible shock. Call me naive, ignorant or just plain stupid...but I didn't realise any of this?! :Scared: And my business definitely couldn't survive being slapped with any demand letter right now.

I've now deleted all images that I haven't taken myself off my salon FB page and taken my website down immediately. I will be getting my camera out next week and taking lots of my own photos to get my website back up and running.

I feel like I've had a close escape! So thank you all again! :biggrin:

Your suppliers should be your first port of call for images, after that- you're going to have to pay for them.

Here's a little template I've knocked up that should cover you as succinctly as possible.

(And as a designer, this makes MY life easier as well, trying to design a leaflet/website with no images is like pulling teeth.)

Dear Sir/Madam,
My name is -------------------- from----------------

I'm writing to see if you would have any promotional/images available for me to use either in print or on my website.

If so, could you please inform me of the license terms on those (i.e. under which circumstances may I use them, and am I able to pass them to a designer to use for me, if appropriate).

If you do have some I would be delighted to take them from you at 300dpi for use in print and 72dpi for the web. If you only have 300dpi versions, is it possible for me to downsize them for using on my website/email marketing/Facebook page etc?

Regards,

That's brilliant Carl, thank you so much for sharing that. I am definitely going to be using that as a guide. X

That's brilliant Carl, thank you so much for sharing that. I am definitely going to be using that as a guide. X

Welcome :)

I didn't mean it to be patronising, I'm sure people are perfectly capable of asking for photos!

The reason I did it though, was that I've included the technical aspects people should be asking their suppliers for, things they might not be aware of like the dots per inch etc.

Welcome :)

I didn't mean it to be patronising, I'm sure people are perfectly capable of asking for photos!

The reason I did it though, was that I've included the technical aspects people should be asking their suppliers for, things they might not be aware of like the dots per inch etc.

I didn't take it as patronising at all. I also don't get the techie stuff (even though you did try to explain it briefly in an email a couple of weeks ago! ) so you made it clear and concise and stupid proof ( for oldies like me ;-)!

It will certainly help me, so thank you x

Some companies are great balmain emailed me loads of images on request years ago for use other companies who's products I use just don't reply.

When we take on new customers we provide them with a USB stick with every conceivable image in all resolutions for use on websites, brochures, flyers, window decals etc.
Why on earth would I want to restrict the free advertising of our products!

When we take on new customers we provide them with a USB stick with every conceivable image in all resolutions for use on websites, brochures, flyers, window decals etc.
Why on earth would I want to restrict the free advertising of our products!

That's a point, its not just the salons sales but the distributor's sales that also go up from client awareness xoxo

It is, or at least, it should be, a symbiotic relationship up and down the entire chain.
If the manufacturer works with, as opposed to indifferently, or in some notable examples, all but against, the distributor, it makes the job of the distributor so much more difficult to support the salons. And let us not forget, without the absolute support of the salons, the future of the distributor, and therefore of the manufacturer is by no means certain.

It is for this reason that our company ethos is "without you there is no us"

One last thing I wanted to add was that the same rules apply to graphics as well as photos. Don't be tempted to grab a swirl for a logo, or a background for a website from the web either- you're just as likely to get a bill.

Lol what I meant was "be sure it's them" ever the friendly response!!!

I've found a website that offers simple graphics and the terms of use say they are 'public domain' does this mean they are ok to use? I can't find anywhere that says you have to pay or need a liscense and nowhere says you can't use it in websites but I'm extra wary now! What do you guys think?

I've found a website that offers simple graphics and the terms of use say they are 'public domain' does this mean they are ok to use? I can't find anywhere that says you have to pay or need a liscense and nowhere says you can't use it in websites but I'm extra wary now! What do you guys think?

There's a difference between public domain use for business and for an individual (and even if you're just a one-woman band then you'll still be classed as business use).

If it doesn't specifically mention that it's free for commercial use then don't use it.

I know it's expensive but really, what's the problem with just buying what you need?!

images don't have to be expensive either Public Domain Pictures - Free Stock Photos do a lot of free (for commercial use) photos and some better ones that you can buy for as little as £1. Some will still require a release form but just follow what the site tells you and you will be fine :)

Latest posts

Back