Soaking off Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yadagi maybe the dehydration is just starting to show now as she's had something on her nails for longe. Maybe she was using her oil before but isn't now. You have to stress to her that she needs to be using her oil because that part of the service is out with your control. You can advise but of she chooses not to take your advice then she will have to put up with the dehydration.

Thanks Gigi,
I was thinking along the same lines re using a MEK based product.
Unfortunately I have found it difficult using the wraps , I still have loads left , but they either don't stick or they fall off. I 'm sure it's the way I am using them. Need to practise maybe more.
I only use a small cotton pad , think a round pad , cut into 4 and place it directly on the nail surface only .

The thing that has stumped me is this lady had Bio on for ages , and said that when she had them removed her fingers and nail were never white , so wondering what the other tech was using that was different to acetone ??:confused:

As I said in a recent post, Acetone form the chemist is not the same as Acetone from the hardware store is not the same as the Buffered Acetone we use as nail technicians. I think you will find that D.Solve will not turn your clients fingers white ... it is buffered Acetone which gives protection to the skin ................... many things may be 100% Acetone but not be the same thing. S2 recommend D.Solve because it is much less drying to the skin and yet still 100% Acetone. D.Solve is not expensive and I am assuming you do not use it as I do, and I have never seen anyones skin turn white when using it.

As I said in a recent post, Acetone form the chemist is not the same as Acetone from the hardware store is not the same as the Buffered Acetone we use as nail technicians. I think you will find that D.Solve will not turn your clients fingers white ... it is buffered Acetone which gives protection to the skin ................... many things may be 100% Acetone but not be the same thing. S2 recommend D.Solve because it is much less drying to the skin and yet still 100% Acetone. D.Solve is not expensive and I am assuming you do not use it as I do, and I have never seen anyones skin turn white when using it.
Gigi , thank you , I didn't know it was buffered Acetone in D-solve , I understand the concept of buffering being a biomedical scientist for yonks! , but I had already purchased my acetone from Professional System at the wholesaler I use , therefore thought it was made for use on nails for professionals to use .
I will get some D-solve and try it on her and see what happens . Off to S2 I go.
Lolly, Thank you , but the problem is she said if her nails continue to be like that after removal she will not have Shellac done anymore and I do not want to lose her custom. She claims it has never happened before , although her skin is very very dry, I'm now assuming it was a buffered remover that was used on her before .

I've never applied Solar Oil until after a Shellac manicure is complete. I always thought it would cause lifting if I used it prior to application. I've read several posts now where it's obviously not the case.

Think I'll do that for added nourishment for my clients' nails and eponychium.

I've never applied Solar Oil until after a Shellac manicure is complete. I always thought it would cause lifting if I used it prior to application. I've read several posts now where it's obviously not the case.

Think I'll do that for added nourishment for my clients' nails and eponychium.

It really works and does NOT cause any lifting/peeling, etc. When the white patches/spots disappear, it shows my clients the importance of applying Solar Oil, regularly!

They say the do but they DON'T! :grr: (I'm lovin' the head banging smilie!)

Gigi , thank you , I didn't know it was buffered Acetone in D-solve , I understand the concept of buffering being a biomedical scientist for yonks! , but I had already purchased my acetone from Professional System at the wholesaler I use , therefore thought it was made for use on nails for professionals to use .
I will get some D-solve and try it on her and see what happens . Off to S2 I go.
Lolly, Thank you , but the problem is she said if her nails continue to be like that after removal she will not have Shellac done anymore and I do not want to lose her custom. She claims it has never happened before , although her skin is very very dry, I'm now assuming it was a buffered remover that was used on her before .

But the thing is Yadagi she has to be responsible for her aftercare as you cannot be there telling her when to be applying her oil. But try the different acetone and see if that works but she will suffer dryness probably if she isn't oiling. And if she doesn't want to look after them properly then maybe they aren't for her. She can't just go blaming you or shellac all the time. But I do hope whatever you try works out :) xxxx

:grr: (I'm lovin' the head banging smilie!)

Almost sent Fiona aka Naturalnails one of these because she just got another lamp question. LOL

The thing that has stumped me is this lady had Bio on for ages , and said that when she had them removed her fingers and nail were never white , so wondering what the other tech was using that was different to acetone ??:confused:

I use both bio & shellac. I use dsolve to remove everything these days but I think that bio remover has added oils so it's not too drying. I may have remembered that wrongly but would explain why they haven't had the whiteness before. Hth x

Almost sent Fiona aka Naturalnails one of these because she just got another lamp question. LOL

Yeah I saw that lol. She will be going mad!

Yeah I saw that lol. She will be going mad!

I'm thinking about checking the hospitals over there to see if a woman named Fiona has been admitted....with slit wrists.

I use both bio & shellac. I use dsolve to remove everything these days but I think that bio remover has added oils so it's not too drying. I may have remembered that wrongly but would explain why they haven't had the whiteness before. Hth x

Emma . thank you , I was hoping a Bio user would advise , as i'm sure there must be difference in the Acetone she had before.
I will be ordering D solve and hopefully that will solve it, together with adding Solar oils to her nails before removal too.

:Love:

The whiteness is just temporary dehydration. :)

I'm thinking about checking the hospitals over there to see if a woman named Fiona has been admitted....with slit wrists.

We'll have to send out the dogs (St. Bernards with a flask attached to their collars) to look for her! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I think she's probs logged out and drank a few bottles of the old vino!

Just a little FYI: I have found putting a few drops of solar oil in my acetone or saturating the nail plate with solar oil prior to applying remover wraps or cotton/foil wrap does not affect the removal time of shellac and dramatically hydrates the natural nail helping to eleminate white spots.
I would be worried, if reapplying Shellac, that the extra hydration before service will make the product shrink from sides. I was taught never to use oils before a Shellac application, only after.
After reading posts, I may try it on a few clients/friends.

Last edited:
Emma . thank you , I was hoping a Bio user would advise , as i'm sure there must be difference in the Acetone she had before.
I will be ordering D solve and hopefully that will solve it, together with adding Solar oils to her nails before removal too.

:Love:

I always use dsolve for Shellac and bio's gel remover for bio as, yes, bio's has added oils in it. You can smell the difference lol! (not that I sit and sniff them!! Lol) :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Update on my client/friend.

She came yesterday, and I applied Solar oil around the nail , wrapped in foil using Dsolve, and removed after 10 mins.
The nails still were showing the white patches , maybe a tad less than last time, but enough for her to mention it again.
On further questioning(look at me sounding like a copper!!) she did say that she had white patches when Bio was removed but not as bad.

So last option is to try my non acetone remover on her next time, and she wants me to try her home polish remover as well, so will try both, one on each hand.
Was also thinking about adding some Solar Oil to the D solve , what do you think ?
On the plus side , she is very happy with Shellac ,and her nails seemed a lot stronger , so she is starting to see the benefits after a month .

Update on my client/friend.

She came yesterday, and I applied Solar oil around the nail , wrapped in foil using Dsolve, and removed after 10 mins.
The nails still were showing the white patches , maybe a tad less than last time, but enough for her to mention it again.
On further questioning(look at me sounding like a copper!!) she did say that she had white patches when Bio was removed but not as bad.

So last option is to try my non acetone remover on her next time, and she wants me to try her home polish remover as well, so will try both, one on each hand.
Was also thinking about adding some Solar Oil to the D solve , what do you think ?
On the plus side , she is very happy with Shellac ,and her nails seemed a lot stronger , so she is starting to see the benefits after a month .

Is she using her oil? Every single day? And I'm not sure about adding oil to your dsolve. X

Aha! So she did get white patches with bio. Thing is hun sometimes clients don't always give out the correct info. Your lady has gone from saying she didn't have white patches with bio to now saying she did. This could suggest that she isn't using her solar oil as often as she should be thus why she is experiencing white patches. You've seen a difference already in the patches not being as bad as before by using solar oil when removing so i would be inclined to stick with it and perhaps up her solar oil application a day. If she is only doing it twice get her to do it four times and jokingly say if she doesn't do it you'll know ;)

I can't really see the benefit of using non acetone remover as removal will surely take longer meaning longer period of time soaked off in non acetone.

Keep firm with her hun, explain, as I'm sure you have, that dehydration does happen but is only temporary and that she must use her solar oil religiously.

Good luck hun x

Aha! So she did get white patches with bio. Thing is hun sometimes clients don't always give out the correct info. Your lady has gone from saying she didn't have white patches with bio to now saying she did. This could suggest that she isn't using her solar oil as often as she should be thus causing the white patches. You've seen a difference already in the patches not being as bad as before by using solar oil when removing so i would be inclined to stick with it and perhaps up her solar oil application a day. If she is only doing it twice get her to do it four times and jokingly say if she doesn't do it you'll know ;)

I can't really see the benefit of using non acetone remover as removal will surely take longer meaning longer period of time soaked off in non acetone.

Keep firm with her hun, explain, as I'm sure you have, that dehydration does happen but is only temporary and that she must use her solar oil religiously.

Good luck hun x

Could not agree more.

If she's using her Solar Oil, she may not be using it enough. She needs to increase the frequency.

You're doing the best YOU can do. It's up to her now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back