Soaking off Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahjade

Reaction score
Hi. I've been reading about clients having white spots on their nails after removal. I read were it could be if u soak it in a bowl of acetone, I would of thought it would be the same wearing the remover wraps as it's still acetone please help. As I've told clients to take it off if they don't want me too take it off x

Hi. I've been reading about clients having white spots on their nails after removal. I read were it could be if u soak it in a bowl of acetone, I would of thought it would be the same wearing the remover wraps as it's still acetone please help. As I've told clients to take it off if they don't want me too take it off x

I think if your going to get White spots then you will get them however you soak off, I wrap and sometimes get them. They don't last long tho if you give the nails a good tidy up and a regular oil after :) x

There are only TWO ways CND recommends removing Shellac. Either using the wraps, or cotton and tinfoil with D-solve or acetone.

Soaking in an acetone bath is not recommended for Shellac. The white spots indicate dehydration, which can happen with any acetone-based product. This is why we recommend SolarOil.

Just a little FYI: I have found putting a few drops of solar oil in my acetone or saturating the nail plate with solar oil prior to applying remover wraps or cotton/foil wrap does not affect the removal time of shellac and dramatically hydrates the natural nail helping to eleminate white spots.

Just a little FYI: I have found putting a few drops of solar oil in my acetone or saturating the nail plate with solar oil prior to applying remover wraps or cotton/foil wrap does not affect the removal time of shellac and dramatically hydrates the natural nail helping to eleminate white spots.

Is this a good idea when re applying straight after?

When I remove Shellac I apply a little SolarOil as each finger is finished, then file and shape, then cuticles and by then it has mostly 'soaked in' and any left is removed by Scrubfresh before re-Shellac-ing. I have never had a problem and the clients seem happy to see their nails not looking dry for very long.

Last edited:
Glad someone posted about this!!!
I have had 2 ladies (older) that have both had Shellac about 6 months and then developed white spots after removal. It seemed to get worse so I told them to see GP.

Am I ok to continue then as they were both very concerned and blamed Shellac even though they have used it for ages??:irked:

also worried about using solar oil as we cant use oils and creams usually with Shellac but I appreciate scrub fresh does remove most??

Older clients will be more prone to dryness.

Any product that you have on your nails for a long period of time is bound to cause a bit of dryness, even normal nail polish, but it is only temporary and no need to worry about it.

Clients that are worried about dryness, really need to purchase a Solar Oil and use it at least twice a day... if they still get dry spots, maybe up it to four times a day, but if the dry spots are very bad I would recommend they take a break for a few weeks.

I've never had to do this... if they tell me they are using their oil, I'll know about it because you can really see the difference when they do.

Clients are funny... they will tell you they are using their oil every day, but some of them haven't bought a new one for over a year... how does that work? :lol:

lol! totally relate to that.. in fact since I stopped giving away mini solar oils - more people buy the larger size retail and then they use it! If it's given free they don't!:idea:

I've found clients that are die-hard Shellac-ers who come in with white spots are not using their Solar Oil are prescribed. Oh sure, they say they use Solar Oil twice daily as directed. If they did, I don't think we'd see the dehydration that we do.

Hi all , just bumping this thread , as I have a friend's mum who has been to me twice and after removal of Bio and Shelalc both with acetone pads wrapped in foil, her nails and skin around her fingers were very white. She claims this has not happened before (she had Bio Gels on ).
I suggested I remove her Shellac with non acetone remover next time, but explained it might take longer. She said that would be ok, as she was really worried about how white her nails and skin were.
I have not had this problem before with any one else, and her hands and nails are very very dry , but I don't want to lose her as a potential long term client.
I have read above about using the solar oil after removal, but what about putting it on her skin and cuticles and Shellac before I wrap , do you think that would help.
Obviously I have applied solar oil and recommend she use it at home, but she doesn't seem to be al that bothered. She barely uses hand cream either.

The thing that worries me is that she said it did not happen when her Bio Gels were removed. Could something different have been used ?

Thanks for reading .

When I remove Shellac I apply a little SolarOil as each finger is finished, then file and shape, then cuticles and by then it has mostly 'soaked in' and any left is removed by Scrubfresh before re-Shellac-ing. I have never had a problem and the clients seem happy to see their nails not looking dry for very long.

I actually do the EXACT same thing and have had really good luck. No lifting, chipping, peeling of Shellac.

Also, it shows the client that the dehydration is TEMPORARY and stresses the IMPORTANCE of using Solar Oil, daily. :)

@Yadgai when I replied before about using solar oil in my acetone or placing it on the nail prior to my remover wrap this is what I was speaking about before rather than after. Some have questioned if this would affect the re-application of Shellac..? I have not seen any adverse reactions to this method and must state I do quite a few Shellac services in a day:) the benefits of this process have seem to greatly improve the dehydration "concern" :) any of my clients have had.

I always use SolarOil around my nails when I remove Shellac and after removal I always apply SolarOil to my nails directly. I leave it until it has done it's job and then use ScrubFresh and re-apply my new Shellac.

My natural nails are gorgeous and healthy, I never buff the surface, my Shellac lasts until I change my colour, and I could be classed as 'mature'. :biggrin:

@Yadgai when I replied before about using solar oil in my acetone or placing it on the nail prior to my remover wrap this is what I was speaking about before rather than after. Some have questioned if this would affect the re-application of Shellac..? I have not seen any adverse reactions to this method and must state I do quite a few Shellac services in a day:) the benefits of this process have seem to greatly improve the dehydration "concern" :) any of my clients have had.

I do this too. When I use the solar oil after removing I don't put as much on but enough to let it sink in. Then make sure I scrub fresh thoroughly before re applying. I've never had a problem x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I do this too. When I use the solar oil after removing I don't put as much on but enough to let it sink in. Then make sure I scrub fresh thoroughly before re applying. I've never had a problem x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Thank you all of you , including Gigi.
I have been experimenting on friends and myself, and next time my lovely lady comes (my friends mum) I will apply Solar to her nails before removal, after removal and after application..
Just a thought though , would non acetone which is mainly MEK and ISO PROP Alcohol be more or less drying.?

I have researched and found differing opinions as to whether it is or not.
I used it on myself and it does remove shellac , just takes a little longer ?

Thank you all of you , including Gigi.
I have been experimenting on friends and myself, and next time my lovely lady comes (my friends mum) I will apply Solar to her nails before removal, after removal and after application..
Just a thought though , would non acetone which is mainly MEK and ISO PROP Alcohol be more or less drying.?

I have researched and found differing opinions as to whether it is or not.
I used it on myself and it does remove shellac , just takes a little longer ?

All solvents are drying. Much better to use SolarOil and Acetone (which is what CND advise) than MEK which they do not advise.

Why would it be better to expose someone for another solvent chemical for longer than the time recommended?

We use wraps to lessen the time of exposure, NOT because Acetone is excessively drying when only used for 10 minutes, but because we are using it at a more frequent rate (every 2-3 weeks) to remove the product.

Another reason why I only use the CND remover wraps with Acetone is because, unlike foil wraps, the CND remover wraps only place the Acetone on the nail surface and not all around the skin.

All solvents are drying. Much better to use SolarOil and Acetone (which is what CND advise) than MEK which they do not advise.

Why would it be better to expose someone for another solvent chemical for longer than the time recommended?

We use wraps to lessen the time of exposure, NOT because Acetone is excessively drying when only used for 10 minutes, but because we are using it at a more frequent rate (every 2-3 weeks) to remove the product.

Another reason why I only use the CND remover wraps with Acetone is because, unlike foil wraps, the CND remover wraps only place the Acetone on the nail surface and not all around the skin.
Thanks Gigi,
I was thinking along the same lines re using a MEK based product.
Unfortunately I have found it difficult using the wraps , I still have loads left , but they either don't stick or they fall off. I 'm sure it's the way I am using them. Need to practise maybe more.
I only use a small cotton pad , think a round pad , cut into 4 and place it directly on the nail surface only .

The thing that has stumped me is this lady had Bio on for ages , and said that when she had them removed her fingers and nail were never white , so wondering what the other tech was using that was different to acetone ??:confused:

Latest posts

Back