Solar oil lost its smell

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
My solar oil has lost its smell. I opened it about 2 weeks ago and it just smells of oil, not the lovely smell we have come to know and love so much.

Even my clients have noticed.

It hasn't been stored with the lid of or anything. Any ideas anybody?

Thanks Angie, I had a read through.

Just thought it was odd as none of my other little bottles of Solar Oil have lost their smell over the years, this is the first one, and only after a couple of weeks too. It's the lovely smell that helps persuade clients to buy it!

I guess i'll just open another bottle and keep the non smelling one just for me :lol:

i guess you could buy some almond essence and add it..?

They seem to have changed the formula, it's paler in colour, the smell is not as strong and it fades really quickly lately. I've noticed it on the last couple of batches I've had. Some of my client have been asking if it's been watered down :irked:

This is what concerns me, too, trinity, I sell quite a bit of it and can just imagine clients bringing it back when the lovely smell has gone (half the time its the smell they buy it for!!)

That happened to me with a small bottle I purchased at a salon. I actually wondered if they were filling the Solar Oil bottle with plain canola oil because that's exactly what it smelled like. Now I know it must have lost its scent!

But why is it happening now when it hasn't before? Admittedly, this is a new batch but my old batch was only bought about 3 months ago.

And if it's been reformulated then i can't help thinking it's not an improvement is it. The smell is what Solar Oil is famous for and if it only lasts a week or two when the bottle of oil (to the average client) lasts a year . . .

This happens frequently in the summer. UV light breaks down the colour (making it paler) and reduces the fragrance. Its not been watered down or changed, it's just that its getting more sunlight exposure.

HTHs

that is correct, if you say your only replenishing stock every three months its bound to change if its sitting on the shelf. i buy 180 bottles of mini solar oil a month and they fly out not changing colour or smell but the salon sized bottles on the nail tables which i replace every three months do loose colour and smell :)

that is correct, if you say your only replenishing stock every three months its bound to change if its sitting on the shelf. i buy 180 bottles of mini solar oil a month and they fly out not changing colour or smell but the salon sized bottles on the nail tables which i replace every three months do loose colour and smell :)

I disagree with this, my 1/4oz stock wasn't on the shelf for any period of time, it was brand new in from the OSNS in London, which was new stock to them too.

I had pinkie bottles in my bottom drawer which I've had for well over six months and I deliberately checked them against each other. The new batch is thinner in consistency, paler in colour and not as fragrant as before.

It's also not just from the warmer weather, one of my clients purchased a bottle from a salon near her whilst I was away in March. When I came back from holiday she showed it to me and I immediately said I suspected it wasn't real Solar Oil as it was paler, thinner and not strong smelling. Imagine my horror when my next batch arrived exactly the same. I had to apologise and felt a complete idiot :irked:

i bulk buy my stock straight from the manufacturer in the USA so i wonder with the travelling from the USA to the uk, they might be brand new to the OSNS uk but may have been made upto 1 year ago. i recently bought some super shineys and on the box it said made 2005, so they were 2 years old, still fine but slightly lighter in colour more mauve than purple?

i bulk buy my stock straight from the manufacturer in the USA so i wonder with the travelling from the USA to the uk, they might be brand new to the OSNS uk but may have been made upto 1 year ago. i recently bought some super shineys and on the box it said made 2005, so they were 2 years old, still fine but slightly lighter in colour more mauve than purple?
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I didn't think that Creative Manufactured this in the US anymore.

has anyone actually asked Creative if they have changed their formular?

This happens frequently in the summer. UV light breaks down the colour (making it paler) and reduces the fragrance. Its not been watered down or changed, it's just that its getting more sunlight exposure.

HTHs

has anyone actually asked Creative if they have changed their formular?
If anyone would know then Sam would :wink2:

I've been having problems with my SolarOil as well.

It looses its fragrance really quickly, but also then starts to smell like "old, greasy" oil. I don't know how to explain it properly.

As has been mentioned before, people love the Almond smell, and lately my clients have been commenting on the fact that the oil smells "off".

This is a bit embarrassing to say the least and I'm not entirely sure what to say to them. I agree, the solaroil still does the job, it just smells unpleasant...

Marlise

I only noticed this in my large bottle of oil after about a year, but im putting it down to the lid breaking, I was screwing it on too hard and the squeezy top had popped out of the lid. I still used it to the very end though! I guess its also down to how often you are using it. If it really is a huge issue id just buy another one... But thats just me.

I've been having problems with my SolarOil as well.

It looses its fragrance really quickly, but also then starts to smell like "old, greasy" oil. I don't know how to explain it properly.

As has been mentioned before, people love the Almond smell, and lately my clients have been commenting on the fact that the oil smells "off".

This is a bit embarrassing to say the least and I'm not entirely sure what to say to them. I agree, the solaroil still does the job, it just smells unpleasant...

Marlise

The same thing over here, I + customers noticed that the smell fades fast and i keep it in a dark cool place. How my customers keep it i don,t know so i can,t speak for them. It works indeed but it doesn,t smell pleasant. I actually recently switched brand when it comes to nailoil.

users of solar oil might like to try the lechat vanilla almond fragranced cuticle oil, it smells very similar.

i personally really dislike the smell of almonds so i dont use that one. however i find that the fragrance of the lechat cucumber one that i use keeps well and never fades.

Latest posts

Back