Something odd happened to my client's Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherp

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Wanted to pick your brains a little if I may.

I have been shellacing this lady regularly every two week without fail.

Her nails are healthy and in good condition, she solar oils and wears gloves for any house./garden work.

The first picture is how she left me. The second picture is how they were when she came back today (13 days later) but she said the problem started about a week after the treatment.

I have never had this happen before with her or anyone else, most of my regulars could get 3/4 weeks plus out of their shellac

They look like they are lifting but you can't actually pick at the edges or anything.

Any ideas gratefully received.

H xx

Attachments

• 07.02.14 Collage.sg.jpg
    07.02.14 Collage.sg.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,140
  • damaged nails. collage.sg.jpg
    damaged nails. collage.sg.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,150
Hi Guys

Wanted to pick your brains a little if I may.

I have been shellacing this lady regularly every two week without fail.

Her nails are healthy and in good condition, she solar oils and wears gloves for any house./garden work.

The first picture is how she left me. The second picture is how they were when she came back today (13 days later) but she said the problem started about a week after the treatment.

I have never had this happen before with her or anyone else, most of my regulars could get 3/4 weeks plus out of their shellac

They look like they are lifting but you can't actually pick at the edges or anything.

Any ideas gratefully received.

H xx

Have you checked your lamp/bulbs? Could be undercuring.

Have you checked your lamp/bulbs? Could be undercuring.

Good question thank you for you reponse, but just checked them and I have 51 hours left?

H xx

Looks like she's been picking at them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using SalonGeek mobile app

Looks like she's been picking at them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using SalonGeek mobile app

I very much doubt it, she has been coming to me for months and months and her nails are always still perfect when she comes back. She is also the type of client that if she had picked them she would just say.

Looks a little like pocket lifting, which i think could be caused by undercuring or sometimes caused by extreme trauma ie something being dropped on the nails or hitting them on stuff a lot which kind of makes the product "jump" away from the nail in the centre-ish but is often quite secure round the edges.

It does look a bit as if the product is a little loose at the edges in places, is it possible water/chemicals could have crept in? Has she had a sauna/steamroom etc?

Nope, she is a teaching assistant and is just so careful, she wears gloves for absolutely everything. even if she just wipes down her kitchen surfaces after dinner, she puts on gloves!

I'm beginning to wonder about the bulbs which is worrying as I have done loads of shellac since hers weeks ago, although I have had no texts or calls from any other clients saying they have had problems.

I'm just totally baffled

H x

Nope, she is a teaching assistant and is just so careful, she wears gloves for absolutely everything. even if she just wipes down her kitchen surfaces after dinner, she puts on gloves!

I'm beginning to wonder about the bulbs which is worrying as I have done loads of shellac since hers weeks ago, although I have had no texts or calls from any other clients saying they have had problems.

I'm just totally baffled

H x

Teaching assistants often have their hands in water at school (cleaning paint pots etc) plus maybe she's been pulling drawing pins out of the display board?

I reckon it's something she's done (even if she's not aware of it)

For your own peace of mind, I would call several of the clients which you have done since this lady, and just just say you're randomly checking to maintain standards or something..... then at least you can establish if it's everyone or just a problem with this lady, at least then you'll know what you're dealing with xx

Are you asolutely sure you removed whole base coat, if any left may be caused lifting when irritated by acetone/remover. Thats my only suggestion.

Are you asolutely sure you removed whole base coat, if any left may be caused lifting when irritated by acetone/remover. Thats my only suggestion.

I can't imagine that I didnt, I have been doing shellac without problems since it was launched in May 2010. I do thorough prep and think I would of noticed if there was any base coat left.

H xx

It has to be something your client has done.

Even some of cleaning wipes used without gloves can do this to Shellac, it happened to one of my clients, and she always wears gloves and follows aftercare.
She was wearing gloves cleaning her kitchen then took the gloves off to answer the door didn't put them back on to finish off the work tops and the shellac bubbled up and off her nails on one hand.

Are both hands affected?
Has she had problems before?

I would be inclined to agree its something she's done. Looks like she knocked at the tips and the force travelled up to a weak point and caused pocket lifting and shattering. It doesn't have to have been a hard knock. The affect seems to be in the same area on the nails shown which indicates she hit them all at the same time and at the same angle.

Thank you for all your replies, she is in this afternoon for another treatment so will discuss with her further

Rinn - She has never had any problems whatsoever before and yes it is on every single nail!!

Very strange!!

H xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Please let us know how you get on. This is educational for us all.

Hope you can get to the bottom of it, we are all intrigued!!

Has the lady had any changes in her medical status, maybe new medications or possibly creams she may need to use?
Sometimes a clients medical conditions can effect the various systems we use, to me it looks like cleaning products that have effected the shellac

Looks like they may be too long and therefore the nail has been bending which has caused the lifting. If she has been coming to you for a while I would take a guess that she has been gradually allowing them to get longer. Take them shorter and see how you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This is similar to a problem I'm having :( will be watching this thread closely.

I had a similar problem on my own nails recently (although with Gelish). Thankfully clients all fine so I know it's something I've done. I'm thinking it's got to be a chemical thing but have no idea what. Have changed moisturizer and shampoo/conditioner so could it be that?

Latest posts

Back