"Special" client... what to do with her....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
One of my newbies, recently referred to me, is aggravating me beyond belief. I have to say that I've never been this aggravated before......

First off, take note, I work from home and my schedule is a little different than most places BUT I do have a 'schedule'.
The very first time she called, she took the piss as you all say, and called at 10:00pm at night:!::eek:
I bit my tongue because right away she said that a very good reg of mine had referred her and I didn't know the nature of their relationship and didn't want to offend my reg by telling the 'potential newbie' that 10pm was unacceptable (my bad, should have told her to call the next day!).

Her first appointment, she was 20min late:irked:
She also has a habit of pulling her hands away repeatedly during a service, to 'inspect' which slows down the service, and question everything... Which, I don't mind explaining the products and methods. I believe in educating my clients BUT.. there's a limit and some questions are just plain ridiculous.
She didn't make her appointment for her refill right away, she said she didn't know what her schedule would be (while I later learned, she doesn't work, and collects gov't aid... so prob was waiting for her check)

When she called for her refill, I was booked solid for a week and a half, and she nagged at me for 30min:eek:, while I politely repeated to her that I didn't have an opening until the days and times I had already mentioned. I explained not once, but 3 or 4 times that I had taken time off during the holidays and so my first week or two back was full already, hence why I had urged her to book in advance.
Finally she accepted the first date I had given her, being a tad rude to me, complaining that I couldn't add hours for her.:rolleyes: (I was already doing a 50hr week!)

Then at 4:10pm on the Tuesday, she calls (while I'm shovelling my driveway during crazy snowfall) to have a freak-out because she busted a nail, and wanted to come over right away. I explained that I was sorry, but I was unavailable that evening & fully booked. It was a 15min phone call, of her trying to convince me to fix it, or at least look at the nail. I explained that I was booked solid, and firmly reminded her that I do not work between 2:30 & 6pm as I had my children. She kept nagging me to look at it, while I kept explaining that looking at it would change nothing. I asked over and over again if I could call her back in 10min with my agenda in hand, explaining that I was in the driveway shovelling, and couldn't leave my children outside unattended. Finally she relented.
Called her back 10-20min later (took longer to finish than I thought), and set her appointment for Friday morning as the other earlier slot didn't convenience her.

On Friday........... she's a no-show and calls 20 AFTER her expected arrival to cancel and say that she'd see me at her refill.

Ok... yesterday, it's her 4wk old rebalance.
She shows up with her Mcdonalds and proceeds to eat, saying she didn't have time. :irked: So we started late. I had to urge her to put it away as I had a client following her...15min later.. she finally relents after shovelling 2 x 10nuggets plus fries down her throat..
She had filed away 3 nails, completely flat, removing apex and making a ruddy mess. I explained that she wasn't to do that and about apexes... She complained about lift on 1 finger (it was on the finger next to the one that was busted clean off) and I explained that as they were 4wks old, unbalanced and next to the one that was busted... likely it had been caught as well...
Soooo trying to do her rebalance and repair.... she repeatedly takes her hands away... slowing me down... aggravating me beyond belief.
She commences to try to tell ME how I should be holding the file and what angle it should be at.
THEN wants me to widen two of her nails at the nail plate area because it's narrower than the others (both her indexes are like that, and curve sharply at the end of the finger, trying to curl under), wanting me to overlap onto the skin....
So, it's another explanation of why I can't, and she's arguing with me the whole time.......
The she's complaining about the curve, and so I'm explaining that since she had originally chosen to do an NNO, the gel follows the curve. I explain that I could file it down and sculpt it fresh to match the others and then it would grow in following the others.. No, she wants me to file from underneath in such a way ... anyway, I can't explain it in words.. but it was mind boggling what she wanted me to do.

THEN to top it all off.. she complains about the price about the balance and repair. And STILL ranting cause I wouldn't overlap the gel onto her skin. AND at the end of the service saying she didn't bring enough money to pay for the late cancel/no show fee from the repair job. Says she'll bring it next appointment:rolleyes:
THIS IS AFTER listening to her brag for two hours that was she going to cuba....................

and here's the punchline... She collects gov't aid and is using a family allowance tax check (which is higher for those on aid than for us working folk)

SO my taxes are paying for her nails and for cuba.:irked: When do I get to go to Cuba?:grr:

I get the distinct feeling that this is one client that I'll be saying to "I don't feel that I meet your needs, so you might be better off choosing a tech that does"
Would you?
That's what I want to know. Would you ditch a client that drove you this insane?

Oh my god nightmare client. There only so much we as professionals should take. Just explain nicely that you are the TRAINED professional and have been doing nails for X amount of years. Regarding the phone calls just politely remind her that you will be available for calls regarding appointments during x hours, or leave the answer phone on. Maybe you will just have to be fully booked for the next 2 years. x

I get my nails done in a salon, I prefer somwone else to do mine.....I tip the girls very well. Theyre always booked out but always seem to fit me in.....It doesnt sound like you need this client! Tell her to give my trick a go.

:eek: Unbelievable!! You certainly don't need to put up with that kind of client. I would definately ditch her...and get caller ID on the phone, next time she calls let her go to answerphone :hug:

Yes, ditch here - I couldn't be bothered breathing if I had someone like this. Too much hassle and you are busy enough without her!:)

I get my nails done in a salon, I prefer somwone else to do mine.....I tip the girls very well. Theyre always booked out but always seem to fit me in.....It doesnt sound like you need this client! Tell her to give my trick a go.

I'm not sure what you mean? I ask because I sense sarcasm. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

I always need clients. "We" always need clients, or there's no business and therfor, no income.....
It was the utter lack of respect that drove me insane. I could have ranted further... you'd have to see it to believe it (she even trashed my bathroom by the simple act of washing her hands WHICH there was soap splatters ALLLLLLLLLLLL OVER the mirror and walls surrounding the sink!!!).
And no, she doesn't tip either. which is not the end of the world, I'd say 95% of my clients tip and tip very well. But some peeps just don't tip at all, ever, and I don't take offense at it and nor do I hold it against them.

When I am able to, I squeeze clients in. I do this often. But I'm a full time mom that doesn't hire a sitter and there are only so many hours in a day. My average work week is 30-35hrs. The week she wanted squeezing in was already at 50hrs....

My hubby takes care of the wee ones in the evenings, and my Mother in law takes care of them Saturdays. The rest of the week, I fit people allllllllllll over the place, in and around my kids schedules.
There are clients that don't mind if I squeeze them in when kids are about, and if I do their nails with occasional interuptions by the children. I'll explain that the only time left is the time when the kids are home and to expect an occasional interuption (for the most part, my kids are great and stick to their playroom during this time).
I do my utmost best.
I can't do anyone ever on weekdays between 2 & 6pm because of the times that I pick up my eldest from school, the travel time, her homework, preparing dinner, eating dinner.... But I do work Tues thru Sat evenings, 6 to 10:30 pm, not including all my other day hours that I do.
No one else in town offers those hours.
In total, I am available about 45-55hrs of the week (depending on the week and if eldest has a ped day off from school), they are rarely completely full, but were immediately following the holidays.

It is so hard when you get clients like this but you really do need to set some things straight or you will dread her visits from the pit of your stomach everytime!
I dont really listen to my clients waffling cos maybe thats all it is as some people need to make themselves more important.

Set her straight or sack her off! She can either abide by the rules or she'll be on the waiting list..........

It is so hard when you get clients like this but you really do need to set some things straight or you will dread her visits from the pit of your stomach everytime!
I dont really listen to my clients waffling cos maybe thats all it is as some people need to make themselves more important.

Set her straight or sack her off! She can either abide by the rules or she'll be on the waiting list..........

Hi V
I agree with redadmiral Set her straight or give her the boot.. Or take a large Vodka before she arrives on her next app to relax you so you don't slap her... Good Luck... xx

Thanks ladies!
I needed that.

I thought maybe I was nuts and being a tad too sensitive.
But after writing it, and then re-reading after a couple of replies...
I said to mysef "am I CRAZY for putting up with that?"

Ok, so it's determined. She'll be set straight, or she can seek out the NSS and enjoy them to her heart's content.

Thanks again:!::hug:

I would show her the freaking door! What a nightmare - who has time for that? I had one of those once and I fired her. It felt sooooo good! You have way more patience than I do.

File her in the B I N ...... You dont need all that agro xx

OMG..I thought I had my fair share of crappy clients, buts thats like them all rolled into one.

My opinion ..ditch her!!This is what I do with clients that make me miserable, the way I see it Im self employed , I shouldnt have to put up with it ,I left from being employed to get away from a crappy/greedy ,take the pee boss, so Im not putting up with crappy take the pee clients!!

If this is not your answer , which I understand finacially for some isnt,sit her down and give her a polite lecture.She needs to be told you have responsabilities outside your buisness..you know what I really hate when clients turn up late and they know you have kids to pick up from school at a certain time.You either need to take a deposit of some sort on booking and also tell her anymore messing around she can go sling her hook.

Failing that ,offer her a cup of tea and put something in it to knock her out for a couple of hours..:lol:

Luckily she phoned and asks you to repair the nail, I dont work from home but I would always be worried of a client turning up on my doorstep demanding a nail repair.!!!!:eek:

i know a lot of professionals on this site would try and fit around her "issues", which i totally agree with - but i think with this client you are probably best to just f..k her off! (Sorry to offend).

I would like to add, as a little tip, that I dont tell clients when I can or cannot (or will or will not) work. If they want an appointment when I am "off", I simply tell them I am fully booked, and they need to book their appts earlier! Yes you may have kids, but in their eyes that is irrelevant until they become good regulars and THEN they understand.

I even do this for my vacations. I find if I tell them I am going away, they moan, but if I am "booked" they understand. (For real regs, they understand so dont need to pretend).

Hope this makes sense. Good luck.

My opinion ..ditch her!!This is what I do with clients that make me miserable, the way I see it Im self employed , I shouldnt have to put up with it ,I left from being employed to get away from a crappy/greedy ,take the pee boss, so Im not putting up with crappy take the pee clients!!

If this is not your answer , which I understand finacially for some isnt,sit her down and give her a polite lecture.

Luckily she phoned and asks you to repair the nail, I dont work from home but I would always be worried of a client turning up on my doorstep demanding a nail repair.!!!!:eek:

Exactly how I feel!! I left the investment industry that paid VERY well to be with my children AND to be my own boss and forget all the headaches. I don't want to add to it.
Up until now, my attitude has been grateful for any business I could get BUT within limits.
BUT with the recession, when I know how other's struggle.... I don't want to be ungrateful, even when the client is a lemon, and so I felt guilty for wanting to sack her?
YES thank GOD she didn't just 'show up'.:eek:

i know a lot of professionals on this site would try and fit around her "issues", which i totally agree with - but i think with this client you are probably best to just f..k her off! (Sorry to offend).

I would like to add, as a little tip, that I dont tell clients when I can or cannot (or will or will not) work. If they want an appointment when I am "off", I simply tell them I am fully booked, and they need to book their appts earlier! Yes you may have kids, but in their eyes that is irrelevant until they become good regulars and THEN they understand.

I even do this for my vacations. I find if I tell them I am going away, they moan, but if I am "booked" they understand. (For real regs, they understand so dont need to pretend).

Hope this makes sense. Good luck.

You didn't offend me, and trust me when I say that some of the words going through my mind at the time were learned from my own father who served in Vietnam war..... in the navy... Sooo if anyone knows how to swear...........:lol:

I've tried the "unavailable" tact... and use it sometimes... BUT I get caught off guard at times... and often if they are right in front of me for their bookings, and see my agenda (which has personal and business in it - it's an electronic PDA), they notice the 'blanks' and ask about them.
I find it's easier to be honest. Explain that while my hours are a bit sporadic, they are no less than a full time job for someone else, and when those hours are done, I still have my house and kids like everyone else. I'd say about 95% are great and the odd "Pita" (Pain In The A**) pops up now and then with whom I need to be more firm.

I just find it hard these days.
While I've picked up several newbies recently who are turning into regs, due to some other newbies working in the public eye, I have also lost a few regs who lost their jobs.
So, while I'm doing better than I did last year at this time.... I have many more expenses (car payments, preschool fees, etc..) and... well, like everyone else.. I struggle.

Soooo yeah, back to my point: I was feeling guilty for wanting to sack her when other's need the business, and wanted other opinions.

Thanks a million ladies!!
:hug:

Hey, great to hear you doing better than last year - so sick of bad news (in media) it's nice to hear something positive for one!

V I wouldn't just sack her because we can never know what's round the corner and you may, as unlikely as this sounds be grateful for having her as a paying client one day.:lol:
Next time she plays up pull her up on it and gently remind her that you are the professional and that is why she is paying you and not the other way round.

If things don't improve I would secretly give her a 3 strikes and your out, what I mean to say is obviously don't tell her but pull her up on it every time and if you get to a 3rd time and she is still being a p.i.t.a then be fully booked the next time.

xx

Last edited:
I'm afraid I would have great pleasure in telling her to *^!!"~ off ! She sounds more trouble than she's worth ! :lol:

I think you have to be firmer with her, especially when she calls. You can't spend so long on the phone with her. It looks like you were on the phone for 45 minutes with her, discussing things she should have accepted.

During the service, tell her that she must not take her hand away, as it is making your work very difficult an if she continues to do this, it will affect your work. Don't say it IS affecting your work, just that it WILL, as otherwise it will gve her something to complain about.

Good for you for making her pay for her no show. I'd give her an "invoice" for her outstanding amount when she arrives next time and make sure she pays.

It's easy for me to say all this though, it's a different matter when it comes to doing it, so good luck! xx

get rid of her, defo!
What a nightmare! I had one of those too, so happy I gave her the elbow:) My life got much easier since then. Good luck hun:hug:

Latest posts

Back