Spending far too much on products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautygirl1977

Reaction score
Hi guys, ok I have made no money this year yet! I'm spending far too much on products and training and I need to stop!
Is anyone else in the same boat as me? Am I addicted? Lol!
I was thinking about putting aside a percentage every week towards products. Does anyone else do this? If so how much.
I really need to get a new beauty bed but there are too many pretty shellac colours and now I'm looking at minx too!

I was beginning to feel like that so I set myself some goals and it has really helped! I set my self a target to increase my clients to 20 regular per month by the end of the year (I only just started the salon in January), 3 training classes this year (1 to be CND) and at least 1 new service to be added to my menu by the end of the year. This really helped put things in perspective and has helped me to not spend so much money!

Hi guys, ok I have made no money this year yet! I'm spending far too much on products and training and I need to stop!
Is anyone else in the same boat as me? Am I addicted? Lol!
I was thinking about putting aside a percentage every week towards products. Does anyone else do this? If so how much.
I really need to get a new beauty bed but there are too many pretty shellac colours and now I'm looking at minx too!

Snap!!! Even my accountant has told me to stop going on courses lol! Even tho I'm a mobile hairdresser I'm an official stockist of Tangle Teezers, Sleepin Rollers, Strawberry Curls, Nov Max Brazilian and now KMS! Don't know about you but manage to cover bills but have stock left that is my profit.

Make 3 lists, musts, increased custom/wants and would like.

Musts list... Will your bed break soon? If so its a must as you can't continue without one, if you just feel like its not in tip top condition any more then it goes into the wants (it won't increase custom). Your wax is running low and needs replacing, you won't be able to offer waxing without it so will lose money xoxo

Wants/increase custom... The new eyebrow trend course (such as hd), it will increase custom, the new shellac colours are nice to have and may increase custom (get the list of new colours and start a Facebook poll asking people what they would like to see and only get the top 3).

Would like... These are things like a new poster, self heating, massaging electric reclining light up beauty bed. Yes it would be good to have, but you don't need it to work. Or new towels with your logo, plain towels would be fine.

Make your list, the musts are top priority and need to be got ASAP. Wants/increase custom, they can wait until needs are all completed and would like, reconsider again before getting.

You will probably find you will spend less because a lot isn't a must have.

Ooo not to take over the thread but I'm mobile too and would love to stock strawberry curls!! How did u do this? X

Thanks guys! Glad I'm not the only one like this! Lol!
Ok I'm going to make a need, want & like list.
My bed is a need. I have a few larger clients and its not looking too stable at the moment.
I have a hot wax course coming up and that's a need too as I just wouldn't have the confidence without it and my clients want it.
I'm not sure shellac, minx etc courses is a need or a want or like? I have training in other systems.

Do you know all your costs per service? Do you take this out to restock? If you already do this, great, just add an extra 10% to the restock fund for each service you do for any extras if not - you must start otherwise you will struggle to restock basics if you have quiet times - don't ask me how I know that :wink2:

Have a look at Lynn's 'will it make the boat go faster' thread, it's good food for thought. It's so easy (especially in nails!) to want every new thing that comes out but you really need to think about your client base and what they really want, as Geeg says there's a big difference between a trend and a fad - e.g. Caviar nails = great for one or two clients set of Martha Stewart glitters in a good range of colours = a huge amount of clients all year round!

Beauty couch - do you have one now? What condition is it in? Does it need a new cover? This is an important piece of equipment, it's basic, you need it but it doesn't need to sing and dance, it needs to be clean, sturdy and fit your space.

Shellac colours - how many do you have? Do you have additives? How many colours to you have with additives, layering etc - 100's I bet! These are not need to have's unless your clients are begging for them and are likely to go elsewhere if you don't get them this month - unlikely!

Minx - how many times have you been asked for it? I've been doing nails for 2 years and I've not been asked for Minx yet! You'll need a range of designs, tools, a heat lamp it'll come to the same price as replacing your couch (if that's even needed!) how much business will it bring you?

I would be inclined to look objectively at what you have and promote those for a while. When the basics are in place and you're making a decent profit - that's time to invest more

Ha!
I was just about to suggest asking the boat question but Belle Vie beat me to it!

Try not to be dazzled by the bright shiny things!

I am always dazzled by the bright shiny things, but now I stop and say "Will it make my boat go faster?" It has really helped. I like the Need, Want, Like as well. (People will be reading this wondering what boats have to do with anything lol)

The boat thread totally changed my buying habits in business and home life. It's a must read! Thanks Lynne for saving me so much money :)

Oh I'll have a look for the boat thread! I really need a new bed and this is top of my list! I'm scared for my toes and my clients sometimes. I have a larger lady (30st +) and she has already broke a chair and the beds gonna go soon!
I'm just going to get a good sturdy one but not too expensive :)
I have my list and new shellac and minx will have to wait :(
I said to my husband last night "all my money goes on beauty products" he said "so does mine!" Haha!

I am so glad I have seen this thread as I have been spending way to much and I haven't even started my business yet! Good advice from everyone so thank you. Am off to find out what the boats can do for my business lol! X

Lol ... Glad its not just me then ... When ever I go to the beauty shows i go with a friend whos been in industry for 30 yrs and as soon as something catches my eye and I say oooohhhhh I want this her answer is 'do you really need it' ... ? ... The answer is usually no ..... !!!

Such a good tread! I'm making notes x

BRILLIANT... I don't consider myself an over spender by far but I do love this idea. It really will put things into perspective.

This is me. Every penny I make I spend on training and products. Only been set up 6 months so building it all up and hopefully will come to the end of my list soon!!

That's a cool idea tomme I'm gonna try that one and Lynne's thread is great too. So glad we have this site!! Xx

This is me. Every penny I make I spend on training and products. Only been set up 6 months so building it all up and hopefully will come to the end of my list soon!!

That's a cool idea tomme I'm gonna try that one and Lynne's thread is great too. So glad we have this site!! Xx

Oh I've been saying that for 2 years! Once I have this, this and this and done that training that's it. It never is! Lol! Always something new or clients say "do you do this?" It makes you think but its true you need to ask yourself about the boat. I've booked a waxing course and I don't think its not going to make my boat go any faster but I'll go now its booked. I have had 2 people ask me today to start massage. I just can't keep up!

BRILLIANT... I don't consider myself an over spender by far but I do love this idea. It really will put things into perspective.

I had to use the lists when I realised I was way over spending, earning £1200 a month and spending £2000 a month on rubbish. See it, want it get it was my old rule of 3, that's how i ended up buying a 15 ft pool that was never used in the 3 years I had it, which cost even more because of electric to run the filter, buy chlorine etc....
I still do a mini rule of 3 now, even at the supermarket, do i need another loaf because ones white and ones seeded? No! I can get white with seeds.
Clothes shopping, do I need a new white tshirt? No! I have 2, I will just wear it with a jacket or cardigan.

Does the heating need to be on in the spare bedroom? No ones staying? Turn it off. Is anyone upstairs? No? Turn off the bathroom light.

Try it everyday and you will save on everything.
Xoxo

Ooo not to take over the thread but I'm mobile too and would love to stock strawberry curls!! How did u do this? X

You have to buy a minimum of 20 pcks. The annoying thing since I've started retailing them she's reduced them on her sure but the price is plus p&p so my price is slightly under. I'll message you her number x

Latest posts

Back