st tropez manual tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager beaver

Reaction score
i trained with st tropez about 4 years ago, where i was trained to lie the client down for the whole procedure. I am now hearing that some people do it standing up?

Do any of you geeks use st tropez, and what way do you apply it? i am starting to offer it mobile agin, but would like to keep up with the times!
:confused:
Thanks for reading x

i trained with st tropez about 4 years ago, where i was trained to lie the client down for the whole procedure. I am now hearing that some people do it standing up?

Do any of you geeks use st tropez, and what way do you apply it? i am starting to offer it mobile agin, but would like to keep up with the times!
Thanks for reading x

i used to do st stropez manual tan at a previous salon, and i did both standing up and led down. I found getting the client to stand up easier as i was able to get all the way around and check coverage properly, also i always worried that if i had the client laying down, when i had to get them to turn over it would rub some of the tan off.
HTH xx

Thankyou, i will give it a go!:)

Thankyou, i will give it a go!:)

no problem, i think as long as you and the client are comfortable that's all that matters. Good luck! xx:hug:

I am St Tropez trained and always do it with the client laying down,this was how I was taught and I dont find I have any problems with it this way.

If client was STANDING UP it would be more hard work imo,firstly I am not very tall,5"3 (and a bit):green: so I would have to stretch for the back and if doing the legs with client stood up it would put a strain on my already strained back.

Laying down is much easier as they are at the right height.

I always check that there are no missed bits when they have stood up,I allow to dry slightly before they turn over for the back of the body.Never had any probs but its crucial not to use couch roll as this will cause streaking,patchy areas.

I start off at the face and then legs,as I finish each part of the body I cover over with a towel for both client modesty and to avoid the client getting cold.HTH

Thankyou, this is exactly how i was taught and how i have always done it (put couch roll under whilst exfoliating then remove). Another lecturer at teaches the girls to apply it standing up, and i would have thought that it would be harder as you cannot see all the round, and i too am 5 ft 3 (and a half!). also, the client would be standing up along time.
Its been about two years since i last done it, and thought maybe i was behind with the times. Do you make sure your clients are'nt too strealky, as i have seen some sights!
xx:)

Thankyou, this is exactly how i was taught and how i have always done it (put couch roll under whilst exfoliating then remove). Another lecturer at teaches the girls to apply it standing up, and i would have thought that it would be harder as you cannot see all the round, and i too am 5 ft 3 (and a half!). also, the client would be standing up along time.
Its been about two years since i last done it, and thought maybe i was behind with the times. Do you make sure your clients are'nt too strealky, as i have seen some sights!
xx:)
Exactly how I was taught,I didn't have a lecturer teach me but a lady from St Tropez came into the college.I would think the lecturer wasn't teaching correctly,after all surely it is harder work having the client stood up:eek: There would be a lot of crouching down and over stretching,causing no end of problems.

I dont have my clients streaky because I always buff following the tan,the guide colour is excellent for ensuring that there are no streaks as is stopping the application as soon as the lotion changes colour.

I think this is where a lot of therapists go wrong because they continue massaging the lotion in once the tan has changed colour.As soon as it changes I stop,and making sure all of the tan is blended in correctly at the trouble spots,i.e ankles,elbows etc.I hate to see it dark brown in these areas.

thanks for all your help. i had a trainer come to the salon and train me (but that was yr 2000!). one last qu- i promise- when you say change colour- do you mean when it has the creamy colour to it?
Your advice is always fab and informative, thankyou x:hug:

When lying down... what do you protect the treatment couch with if couch roll isnt very good?

i was trained to use the black couch cover and nothing else whilst tanning. this is washed after every client and therefore you may need a few!

i was trained to use the black couch cover and nothing else whilst tanning. this is washed after every client and therefore you may need a few!
Yes we use black couch covers and have dark towels especially for covering client during tanning as the tan does get onto the towels.

Hi Just wanted to know how to apply st. tropez to your legs correctly. I have used this on my face for qute some time and to be honest Ive not used it on my legs for ages. Now am I right saying I exfoliate first then moisturise, then apply? I have the cream and the mousse, which do you think would be better, also do I buff off excess? If so what do you use to buff? Help appreciated. I have just been using the cheapy johnsons holiday skin on legs through winter if going out but weather is getting warmer now may want to show legs again soon! so i prefer a better fake tan. thanks p.s hope I can add this onto this tan thread?

Hi Just wanted to know how to apply st. tropez to your legs correctly. I have used this on my face for qute some time and to be honest Ive not used it on my legs for ages. Now am I right saying I exfoliate first then moisturise, then apply? I have the cream and the mousse, which do you think would be better, also do I buff off excess? If so what do you use to buff? Help appreciated. I have just been using the cheapy johnsons holiday skin on legs through winter if going out but weather is getting warmer now may want to show legs again soon! so i prefer a better fake tan. thanks p.s hope I can add this onto this tan thread?
Hi Paulette,you would exfoliate your legs,paying particular attention to the kness and ankles.You wouldn't apply moisturiser all over the legs as this would act as a barrier.You would just moisturise the knee and ankle,foot area.

The moisturiser isn't to be rubbed in though,it sits on the skin to act as a barrier.

Apply lotion, and rub into skin until it starts to turn a pinky clour,as soon as it changes colour stop rubbing in.

Dont massage into the knee,literally swipe it over as you dont want to drag the moituriser over other areas of the leg,as this will cause streaking.Ensure all the leg and foot is covered,use tissue or cotton wool to ensure no tan in between the toes or on the nail plate.HTH,any probs pm me and I will help.:green:

Thanks for reading x

Why dont you go on a refresher course, once you start doing them again you may find there are lots of things you have forgotten. They are very cheap, only about £30 or so. Hthx

If you are mobile and don't have the easy access to fresh running water (only a bowl and water) how do you go about removing the exfoliant stage one? Is this easy to remove this product with just towelling mits and water?

Do you cleanse the face with cleanser and toner before commencement of stage one and moisturiser on the face?

If you are mobile and don't have the easy access to fresh running water (only a bowl and water) how do you go about removing the exfoliant stage one? Is this easy to remove this product with just towelling mits and water?

Do you cleanse the face with cleanser and toner before commencement of stage one and moisturiser on the face?
I fill a large bowl up with warm water,the exfoliant is removed by using mitts,this takes away the bulk of it then you use damp mitts followed by towel drying the client down.

If mobile I would suggest 2 bowls,one for the sponging down the other for your hands as when you do the face you do not wear gloves,you use bare hands then wash them.Once face is finished(face is done first)you apply gloves for remainder of body.

The face is cleansed with cleanser,no toner as you are then going to use the exfoliant.Then the tan will be applied.HTH

Christinarena,they are still teaching that you have client lay down so I dont think Eager Beaver needs to do more training with St Tropez,it's more likely that if a lecturer is teaching St Tropez with client standing ,that she is NOT properly trained.

I was taught by St Tropez themselves as was my friend who did her training only 5 months ago and she was taught exactly the same as me.

Carrying out a St Tropez tan with the client standing is actually more hard work as I have said before than with client laying down.HTH

I fill a large bowl up with warm water,the exfoliant is removed by using mitts,this takes away the bulk of it then you use damp mitts followed by towel drying the client down.

If mobile I would suggest 2 bowls,one for the sponging down the other for your hands as when you do the face you do not wear gloves,you use bare hands then wash them.Once face is finished(face is done first)you apply gloves for remainder of body.

The face is cleansed with cleanser,no toner as you are then going to use the exfoliant.Then the tan will be applied.HTH

Christinarena,they are still teaching that you have client lay down so I dont think Eager Beaver needs to do more training with St Tropez,it's more likely that if a lecturer is teaching St Tropez with client standing ,that she is NOT properly trained.

I was taught by St Tropez themselves as was my friend who did her training only 5 months ago and she was taught exactly the same as me.

Carrying out a St Tropez tan with the client standing is actually more hard work as I have said before than with client laying down.HTH

That is your opinion, not a fact. I'm only 5' 2" and i find having the client standing is far easier (I was actually trained to do it laying down), i also had clients say that the tan i did while they were standing came out more even than a previous tan which was done laying down. I'm not trying to argue with you but I think the therapist should decide for themselves which way they find easier and as long as the tan comes out ok and the client is comfortable what does it matter if they are standing or laying down???!!!

Why dont you go on a refresher course, once you start doing them again you may find there are lots of things you have forgotten. They are very cheap, only about £30 or so. Hthx

thankyou, i meant i trained four years ago, not stopped doing them four years ago. the tanning lecturer at college also teaches st tropez to teh students,but as she was training the girls standing up just wandered how other geeks did it. i personally like the lying down method- more comfy for the client.
you are totally right thou Tina, refresher courses are a great idea, things change all the time. thanks for your advice xx:)

hi, ive just completed a tanning unit as part of my nails course. We used st tropez cream, and were taught to do the face, shoulders, arms, chest, tummy & legs with the client laid down, then get them to stand up and do their back. this works well for me (im 5ft10!) and it means i can check the tan easier for streaks!
Interestingly, we were told to use couch roll over the bed :eek: but that may be because we dont ask the client to turn over?

hi, ive just completed a tanning unit as part of my nails course. We used st tropez cream, and were taught to do the face, shoulders, arms, chest, tummy & legs with the client laid down, then get them to stand up and do their back. this works well for me (im 5ft10!) and it means i can check the tan easier for streaks!
Interestingly, we were told to use couch roll over the bed :eek: but that may be because we dont ask the client to turn over?
Out of interest was it a college lecturer who trained you or a St Tropez trainer?

There should be no streaks at all as long as the tan which has a guide colour covers all of the skin and care is taken whilst buffing the tan off.Oh and when applying the tan that you stop rubbing in once the lotion changes to the pinky colour.HTH:green:

Latest posts

Back