Staff eating?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate1982

Reaction score
I took over a salon in January and the salon is not very big and so we don't have room for an enclosed kitchen area. We do however have a small area in the back where they can go eat thier lunch etc. They like to bring micowave meals in with them which I have never liked I have told them I don't like the smell it gives to the salon but to be honest I haven't really clamped down on them about this!
Today I got an email from a client complaining about the service she got but also saying that she didn't appreciate the smell of curry either.
I completely agree and have decided to remove the microwave out of the salon completely and the toaster.
Do you think this is a fair decision on my part and what do you other salon owners do about this matter?
xx

I had this same problem with my ex-beauty renters! It is not acceptable to stink the salon out, and there is no need to eat curry for lunch.
I have worked in other salons where the rule is no hot food.

It also drove me nuts and I too threatened to remove the microwave!!

You have not been happy with the situation since taking over the salon and have now received a complaint from a customer regards the smell. I agree, time to take the microwave and toaster out. As a client, I too would not enjoy the smell of heated food mixed with salon chemicals and products and whilst being pampered.

I don't think you are being harsh or unfair. As a staff member I probably would be annoyed at losing the microwave, but as persianista said, there is no necessity to eat curry or any other microwave meal for lunch. The same can be said for toast.

They will spout rubbish like "I gotta eat", but I'm afraid it's tough. Sandwiches, salad or go without.

If there is a problem, you can give them a lunch hour to go out and get a hot meal. Just add an extra hour onto each day so their working hours don't change. That way, if they "need" a hot stinky lunch every day to function, they can go and sit in a cafe and have one.

Tough, the rules are no eating in the salon and that's that. Push em out the door for there lunch.

If they are doing beauty treatments I don't think they should be eating any food that leaves causes strong breath so I'd take it a step further, even with cold food!

i completely agree with what everyone is saying about smelly salons not being nice and sandwiches being enough for lunch but i can also see the other side.where i used to work some days we started at half 8 and didnt finish until 8.15 in the evening and only got an hour lunch so a sandwich to take you all through the day wasnt enough.there wasnt anywhere to get hot food from nearby because we were out of the town centre so it was difficult.i can see both sides in a situation like this but if it is a 'normal' working day then i agree that cold food is definitely the way forward!

I agree with dandelionpoppy - there's nothing worse than having a treatment and getting whiffs of curry etc. I think you're being totally reasonable.

The salon I took over also doesn't have a kitchen and the smell from food drifts down the corridor into reception too! There used to be a microwave and the girls would all bring hot food in but I banned it from day one and removed the microwave completely. If they want something warm they go to the deli outside otherwise sandwiches/salad is fine. Haven't had any problems with the girls because of it as they all understood my reasons for doing so.

You have done absolutely the right thing.

I mean who in their right mind would think it was acceptable to take curry into a beauty salon and stink it out and also be smelling of strong foods themselves whilst treating clients.

I don't allow any hot food and even try to keep the coffee smells down too.

You have done absolutely the right thing.

I mean who in their right mind would think it was acceptable to take curry into a beauty salon and stink it out and also be smelling of strong foods themselves whilst treating clients.

I don't allow any hot food and even try to keep the coffee smells down too.

That's a good point about coffee; I personally love the smell but remember how it made me feel when I was pregnant (may moons ago!)

even try to keep the coffee smells down too.

I don't drink coffee and don't like the smell of it....I don't like people breathing their stinky coffee breath on me, nearly makes me gag. If I've been eating or drinking something that I think might be a bit smelly, I have mints to freshen my breath between clients.

Well the microwave etc have gone but they not happy.
They say they don't like sandwiches as they don't eat bread!!
And don't want to pay every day for hot food. Just told them I'm sorry they don't like my decision but it was my decision to make and it's staying as it is. I can't afford to be upsetting any clients. And I agree with the clients. I want to smell products when I walk into a salon. Not lasagne!!!

Well the microwave etc have gone but they not happy.
They say they don't like sandwiches as they don't eat bread!!
And don't want to pay every day for hot food. Just told them I'm sorry they don't like my decision but it was my decision to make and it's staying as it is. I can't afford to be upsetting any clients. And I agree with the clients. I want to smell products when I walk into a salon. Not lasagne!!!

They will live Kate. Well done.

What childish nonsense.....' we don't like sandwhiches as we don't eat bread. ':rolleyes: Have they never heard making themselves hearty salads made with pasta, tuna, beans etc... or humous, tzatziki and avocado dips with crackers or delicious wraps.

What is more it is way more healthier for them than microwave meals which they have to buy in the first place. They can keep their hot meals for dinner time at home.

Kate,i completely agree with all the comments on the post particularly Mrs Clooney (sorry i dont know your real name-oops!!) and Dawn.

Tough ****....your priority is your clients...after all..it is them that pay the therapists wages....personally i wouldnt want someone breathing their curry breathe all over me during a facial...

did you show the staff the complaint..i would of given them all a copy...
They can either eat out or make do with a sandwich....

Honestly...i am glad i gave up my salon and its just me in my little room now...staff=biggest problem for any salon owner FACT

I just knew they would come out with rubbish like "I don't like sandwiches" or "it won't keep me going". Idiots.

I wouldn't fancy a curry aroma facial either.Nor do I like cheese and onion fumes or garlic stink.

If these ladies are so pathetic they cannot put their clients comfort first, then I question why they entered the service sector in the first place.

Stay firm and shut your ears to the whining.

I totally agree with all points above. I rent a room in a Hair salon but my room is in the back! In summer i have the door & window open and the smell of the Indian curry house next door is there. I've been very lucky as most of my clients have never mentioned it, those that have have just said how hungry its made them!!! I watch what I eat and make sure that i have mints etc.

If I had my own salon, sandwiches or salads only - no smelly food or breath. Save it for home. Its your salon, your clients and your livelyhood.

Oh God!!!! One of my pet hates is the smell of hot food in a salon. It's vile and I think that staff should be content with cold food. Where I work the owner and staff bring in left over dinner and heat it in the microwave and the stink goes right through the salon up into my room upstairs. It makes my stomach turn.

I managed a salon once where one girl insisted that she had to have hot soup at lunchtimes during the winter and got her mum to call and complain…….like she was gonna die or something.

I'm moving to new premises soon and I won't be buying any kind of food heater.

This attitude absolutely slays me.
I'm living on benefits, scrimping and saving, I've gone from £350 a week to £91 a week and am allowed to earn a maximum of £90 a week or risk loosing my housing benefit and I would give anything to have a job in a beauty salon.
This is the first time in my life I've been with out a job and I have never ever talked back to my boss:irked:
Even when I was the boss, I would never have taken that from one of my staff.
There are currently over two and a half million people in this country with out a job and your staff are bi**hing about a microwave?
That's just pathetic, in my last job I worked the late shift so couldn't use the staff canteen which closed an hour after I started work, did I moan about it?
No I spent a whole 1 hour a week making pack up meals for me and hubby for the week.
Coos coos, pasta, rice, even potato salads, we always had a desert and saved the hot meal for when we got home.
I can't eat wheat products but managed and that 1 hour a week saved me a fortune.
If all your staff have to moan about is a microwave then they are very fortunate.
Grow up! comes to mind.
Ok, rant over:green:

Smelly food and relaxing beauty therapy don't mix! Fact! Anyone that wants to make an excuse for eating garlic, curry, etc needs to grow up! Simple! U don't want a facial if someone stinks if fags? Why is curry any different? Stand by your decision! X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back