Staff smoking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just silly to mention ... you can't work to capacity (or sensibly) on drugs or alcohol (it's against the law) and every insurer ... and it isn't discrimination, it's work health and safety.

For you it was easy, for MANY others not so much ...... nuthin worse than a reformed smoker :) (so they say) ....

Agree x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

That's just silly to mention ... you can't work to capacity (or sensibly) on drugs or alcohol (it's against the law) and every insurer ... and it isn't discrimination, it's work health and safety.

For you it was easy, for MANY others not so much ...... nuthin worse than a reformed smoker :) (so they say) ....

It has been proven that nicotine addiction is worse and stronger tgen say a weekend cocaine user.

wow - thank you so much for all your comments -
having read them i think my only option is to make sure they dont wear their uniforms - the effort in getting changed may put them off - but im going to speak to the fsb tomorrow and see where i stand first.

I would happily let any of them nip out for breaks - to the shops or whatever they need if there is a spare min and all jobs done its the fact that this has such a lingering smell that is the issue and their treatments are so intimate (especially with facials)

a few people mentioned that it was amazing i didnt know - thats because when Im there they literaly do not smoke from 9-5 so I know they can do it if they wish - they have taken advantage of the fact that i wasnt there to go and spoke!

Thanks again so much - will let you know how i proceed...wish me luck x

You can't use the addiction thing as an excuse. If that's the case then maybe you should let me nip out for a slice of strong cheddar cheese and a shot of Lemoncello whenever the urge strikes;)
I read Allan Carr the easy way to stop smoking and it is amazing! 3 years smoke free from 20 a day and the main reason is this thought "smokers don't enjoy anything else in their lives as it is marred by thoughts of when they will get their next hit, meals out, family weddings etc are all ruined by a white stick which ultimately will probably kill you"

Well done you! I am pleased you managed to quit and have stayed cigarette free. I admire you very much.

I can use the addiction as an excuse because it is actually scientifically proven! Nicotine is an addiction, if it wasn't do you think I would pay £7 a time for a packet of fags, no way. Food cravings are not on the same level at all, although in fairness I would not mind if you took a quick break to get a fix of chocolate, cheese or anything else that took your fancy.

I cannot remember who posted about drugs or alcohol being on the same level but surely you now realise what a stupid thing this was to say lol x

wow - thank you so much for all your comments -
having read them i think my only option is to make sure they dont wear their uniforms - the effort in getting changed may put them off - but im going to speak to the fsb tomorrow and see where i stand first.

I would happily let any of them nip out for breaks - to the shops or whatever they need if there is a spare min and all jobs done its the fact that this has such a lingering smell that is the issue and their treatments are so intimate (especially with facials)

a few people mentioned that it was amazing i didnt know - thats because when Im there they literaly do not smoke from 9-5 so I know they can do it if they wish - they have taken advantage of the fact that i wasnt there to go and spoke!

Thanks again so much - will let you know how i proceed...wish me luck x

But you also didn't notice the lingering smell from the cigs they would have had before coming to work....

It has been proven that nicotine addiction is worse and stronger tgen say a weekend cocaine user.

A weekend cocaine user isn't addicted, that's choice,
Smoking isn't illegal and doesn't effect your ability to work!

I think this is getting made into a bigger issue than what it really is, you've found out your therapists smoke, big deal, you pay them to do a job, you've never smelled it before.

I would be careful how you approach this or they may walk, as someone else said if your going to make it hard for them they can do the same to you.

I agree though not in front of salon and a freshen up after,

This is a very interesting debate. I personally have a hatred of seeing workers smoking outside their work premises it gives a very bad image to clients, especially if they don't dispose of the fag ends after. Also there is nothing worse as a non smoker than having to walk through a fug of smoke to enter a building. I have such a sensetive sense of smell that I can smell a smoker a mile off no matter how long it's been since they have smoked or what they have done to cover it up. As a previous poster said if i went for a treatment and could smell any trace of smoke i'd be out of there toot sweet, as the smell can make me nauseous.

So you wouldn't employ a drug user or alcoholic but you would employ a nicotine addict? I believe that's discrimination. You simply can not use the addiction thing as an excuse. Stopping smoking is easy. I know from experience

That is rediculous to even compare a smoker to alcoholic or a drug user. You will be unable to perform your tasks if you are under influence of any substance.

Smoking does not make you high, it does not make you drunk so it's rather silly to compare the two really.

You sound like the smoker to non smoker high horse type.

Maybe these people do not want to quit, why should they? It's their choice not yours. If you found it easy to stop smoking then good on you, others don't.

And no I wouldn't be discriminating by not allowing. a drunk or drug user to work in my salon over a smoker. It's common sense.

Do you employ these people?

I smoked 20 a day and had a table in a hairdressing salon where about 10 people smoked. None of us were allowed to smoke during work hours because (didn't really believe it at the time) you can still smell it on people despite how much you wash your hands etc.

I never had a problem with it as from a business perspective it makes sense, BUT it was made clear from the outset that the salon had a no smoking policy.

I think you are perfectly reasonable to ban smoking outside the salon its downright unprofessional, and this is clearly a case of when the cat's away....
If you couldn't ever smell it on these members of staff is it a case of they don't smoke when you are there or that they manage to mask the smell? I would guess that if they have just nipped to the shop and had a cigarette on the way then waft back into the salon you would smell it a mile off!

If they are doing treatments such as facials then it really is unacceptable to smell of smoke even if the client was a smoker it still wouldn't be pleasant. But the same goes for stinking of garlic or whatever else that isn't pleasant (didn't someone mention a Wotsit facial lol)!

Just a thought but if they don't usually smoke when you are there and you say to them the can smoke but with rules on when etc, they may use this to smoke at times when they previously have not which won't be of benefit!

I gave up over 2 years ago and have no problem with people smoking around me, their choice like it was mine to smoke, but I can't stand the smell of stale smoke on other people and would put me off a treatment big time. I fully admit that I thought I didn't smell of smoke when I was still a smoker but now I have realised that I did (I am not your typical reformed smoker that makes a big fuss about it I believe strongly in freedom of choice) and that is fine in therapists own time. The issue here is business not how socially acceptable smoking is, and clients vote with their wallets.

I would just ask them not to smoke around the salon, and to cover their uniforms with a jacket x

Here is how my "day" job does it and to me is totally reasonable.

If you work over 6 hours you can take an OPTIONAL half hour unpaid break away from the premises. shorter breaks are taken within the building. Because of the nature of the service (learning disabilities respite) these have to be planned into the rota because sufficient cover is needed. i.e we cant just walk out the building on our break because a safe staffing level is needed. Any member of staff can request these breaks smokers or not - it is fair to all staff, however the only staff that really take these breaks are smokers (myself included). It is not a smoking break but if smokers choose to smoke during this break then that is their choice. There is absolutely NO popping out for 2 minutes for a quick ciggie if you are a smoker, or to grab a chocolate bar if you are not a smoker. All the staff respect this.

What I'm trying to say is it doesn't matter whether you are a smoker or not, all staff get the same. And what people choose to do during their breaks is nothing to do with management. Give them set breaks, no smoking near the salon, no uniform whilst smoking - sorted. :)
Sit them down and say it has come to my attention that you were smoking outside the salon on xx day. In view of this I am going to implement a smoking policy. Failure to follow the policy is gross misconduct (or whatever it is!) and will result in disciplinary procedures being implemented.

I'm a smoker, and I have issued warnings to other smokers. When I was in retail I had a few members of staff who were smokers (iv not employed in our industry).
I always smoked out the back where the wins were kept and I expected all my staff to too. No public could see us as there was a fence etc... Even in a job where you aren't so close I made sure they went out the back, wore a coat or something else that could cover uniform, there was always had wash available, I kept a bottle of body spray in the staff room everyone could use. Smoking was only allowed on their designated breaks, although they could split their break to a 45 minute lunch and a 15 minute smoke break if they wanted, that way no one had more or less breaks than another person.
I did find the non smokers preferred the smokers took the money to the bank or went to get change (as they were allowed to smoke then too), so fair doo's to the staff.
But one was always smoking out the front before starting work, ad it wound me up, she got one chance that it may have been a mistake, second she was asked to not smoke there and use the back like everyone else, and third she was given a letter. Xoxo

I agree that smokers do get extra breaks sometimes to nip for a quick fag but people you have to remember this is an addiction we are talking about. Do you really think I would go through all of the above if I didn't have an urge for nicotine. Would we be so judgmental if someone had to keep nipping to the loo because of bladder / bowel problems.

No disrespect but someone with bladder/bowel problems is totally different. Often that is uncontrollable, whereas smoking has at some point been a choice and then led to addiction. I don't know anyone who was born with a smoking addiction, or had children and then developed a smoking addiction, or was in a car accident and developed a smoking addiction from injuries sustained in the accident, but all of those can apply for bladder/bowel, you know?

[QUOTE=Nails

I wouldn't knowingly employ a drug addict but if two people came to me for a job and they were both perfect but one smoked then I am legally allowed to chose the non smoker over the smoker based purely on the fact they chose to smoke

They knew the OP wasn't at work that day and did what they knew they wouldn't get away with had she been there....

that's the biggest problem, not that they smoke.

Last edited:
If i got a facial and the person doing it smelt like cigarettes even a tiny bit, I would never rebook again. The smell makes me feel so ill and I smoked for 6 years myself! I do nails and felt nauseous when I have a client who smokes. Thank god they are few and far between... If I employed staff I would include specific ruling regarding it.

At my other job working for an airline we are not allowed to smoke in uniform, and public. We are also not allowed to wear strong perfume! (we also arent allowed to wear nail art/ or any nail colour that is not neutral incl red!) This is monitored all the time and we get assessed by it. But we agreed to the strict conditions on our employment... So we whinge but toe the line.

I wouldn't knowingly employ a drug addict but if two people came to me for a job and they were both perfect but one smoked then I am legally allowed to chose the non smoker over the smoker based purely on the fact they chose to smoke

Gawd luv, you are a real "born again" enough already, we get the point :)

You are like the person that stands at the traffic lights and presses the button 20 times (the light got the idea the first time), they are not fooled that 20 people are waiting to cross the street :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back