Star nails quatro uv gel question???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollylolly

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have at the weekend purchased a bottle of the Star Nails Clear Quatro GF21 UV Gel from Sally's. My understanding is that this is the only UV gel that is compatable to use over Nail Polish.

I used it on a client today, my first app at 9.00am (luckily a neighbour), I painted the nails with China Glaze Ruby Pumps, let it dry to the touch and then applied the gel, cured for 4 mins (although the instructions say 3 mins), advised the client not to use any cuticle oil, hand cream for a few hours as stated on the instructions.

By 3pm she was knocking on the door as the nails seemed to have a ripple effect and you could literally scrape the polish off. I only put a thin coat on as I would have done with an ordinary polish topcoat. I then felt obliged to remove it and re-paint, which really put me behind for the day, as I have been back to back with appointments.

What am I doing wrong? Do you have to leave the polish to dry throughly, if so, it would mean waiting approx an hour before applying the top coat, and that IMO is not very professional, as it would be time consuming for the client having to wait.

Your advise or comments would be very welcome.

Sally XXXX

i may be wrong but for some reason i thought it had a tacky layer to remove?
ive only used it once but i remember removing the tacky layer because i was worried it would smudge the pattern i had done if it hadnt cured properly.
try it on a nail tip and see if it makes any difference.x

This is a common problem with applying a UV gel coat over nail polish.

The rippling is an indicationthat the solvents within the nail polish are trapped in by the Gel - as far as I am aware there is no way around this (and why CND do not recomend using a gel top coat over polish)

If there is a Gel top coat that really does work over polish I for one would be happy, but by my understanding of the chemistry I would be surprised...

You can use Quattro over polish successfully but the polish has to be dry right through.

I use it myself but I wait for at least an hour before applying it which is not ideal for a client.

The rippling is caused by the gel shrinking as it cures and dislodging the polish which is not fully dry.

There is no sticky layer to remove with Quattro. HTH:)

You can use Quattro over polish successfully but the polish has to be dry right through.

I use it myself but I wait for at least an hour before applying it which is not ideal for a client.

The rippling is caused by the gel shrinking as it cures and dislodging the polish which is not fully dry.

There is no sticky layer to remove with Quattro. HTH:)

Adele is right about the polish needing to be dry - thoroughly dry.

If you use it over newly applied polish, & then cure, the ripples appear as the topcoat cures and 'shrinks' slightly, causing the polish underneath to ripple up - I have found this out too, by using on a client!
I do use it on myself & usually do it the next day & have no problems at all.
As Adele says, there is no sticky layer to remove.

If you are looking for a great product to make you polish more durable & fast drying I can highly recommend CND Heat Dry - it's applied straight over polish 2/3 mins after applying the polish. Then the nails need to be held under a table lamp, about 3 to 4 inches away, for 3 mins (mines a 40watt angle poise lamp which works well) or you could use an infra red Minxing lamp if you have one - (but don't have the clients hands too close to this as it will get hot). Then a quick spritz with CND Solar Speed Spray & they are ready to go!

CND Heat Dry is a fab product, makes the nails touch dry with a shine that last & lasts.

Available from Sweet Squared for those that don't know.

If you use it over newly applied polish, & then cure, the ripples appear as the topcoat cures and 'shrinks' slightly, causing the polish underneath to ripple up - I have found this out too, by using on a client!

If you are looking for a great product to make you polish more durable & fast drying I can highly recommend CND Heat Dry - it's applied straight over polish 2/3 mins after applying the polish. Then the nails need to be held under a table lamp, about 3 to 4 inches away, for 3 mins (mines a 40watt angle poise lamp which works well) or you could use an infra red Minxing lamp if you have one - (but don't have the clients hands too close to this as it will get hot). Then a quick spritz with CND Solar Speed Spray & they are ready to go!

CND Heat Dry is a fab product, makes the nails touch dry with a shine that last & lasts.

You may also want to know that OPI also makes a 'UV light cured' top coat for over polish, as well as a 'heat' cured top coat specifically for over polish. The heat cured works very similar to the description above for CND. They are amazing products that extend the wear of polish on natural nails also. :)

You are right about CND Heat Dry. I have used it with an ordinary table lamp which does the job perfectly without having to buy anything special.

The number for ordering is 08452106060 or if you are an existing customer you can purchase on Welcome - Sweet Squared ... You do not have to be CND trained to buy Heat Dry or any other CND products with the exception of L&P or Brisa Gels.

Thank you Adele and Bevrose for your advise, once I read your explanations it made perfect sense why it rippled. I feel a bit silly now for not working it out for myself.

Geeg, the CND Air dry sounds fab, I havn't tried it before, but shall be on the phone ordering some after the Christmas break.

Hope you all enjoy your Christman Breaks, and business is good for you in 2010.

Sally

Hi I have just painted my nails with polish and applied OPI's soak off gel sealer over the top and cured - worked perfectly. Also I CURED my nails polish under UV lamp!!! cut drying time considerably.

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard that NSI do something you can use over polish? I might take a look!

D* xXx

Latest posts

Back