Start up costs/budget for new salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkleberry

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was just wondering really what budget everyone set/is setting themselves for opening a new salon?This includes EVERYTHING to get you off the ground! Those of you that have 'been there done that' did you find that you stuck to your original budget and was it enough or did you go over?What did you get for it? (eg equipment/machines etc) How much 'buffer' did you allow yourself for the first few months? Im just being nosey as so far Ive come across such a huge difference in potential budgets my mind is going crazy!!!!:confused:Any help would be gratefully received!!!
Sparkleberryxx

I've started mine from scratch on a low budget compared to my friend who spent 30k setting hers up (we offer most of the same systems) and that was equiptment, furniture and decorating. my budget of 7k which has been spent on decorating, furniture, accessories, further training, equiptment, stock etc i found i hadn't budgeted for everything but i hadn't watched my pennies either i just shopped around to get the best deals:) i managed to make ends meet . . .just:eek: with a few panics here and there!!

It's nigh on impossible to give a rough budget as there are so many variables. I set mine up on £12,000, which is a two room salon using Decleor, Jessica, St Tropez etc, but came in under budget. However, all the work was done by myself & family (we have a lot of trades in the family), which saved thousands.

Rather than concentrate on others budgets it's far better to make a list of everything you need & works that need doing, then add it all up. I made two lists, one of bare essentials & one with things I'd like should I come in under budget, what I ended up with was something between the two! After I set up with the essentials I slowly started to save up & buy the things I'd have liked at the beginning but was able to do without - gives you something to work towards.

Hi! Thankyou for your replies!WOW:eek:, Emily9-Im in awe as to how you managed it on £7k!!!Where did you purchase your equipment from, as no matter how hard I try, I cant get my costings down that much and include stock etc, though Ihave just stumbled across the salon equipment center in Leicester which seems pretty good? Please give me some lessons!!!Hats off to you-perhaps the shopaholic in me needs to be tamed! Martin-you were close too with £12k-again (even with knowing a few handymen!)I still cant even get near yours! Thanks for the advice re making lists, v good-makes perfect sense and I shall be doing that! I was asking the question though, not so much to try and set my own personal budget on other peoples, as I do understand there are so many variables its untrue(though god damn it-Id be thrilled if I could manage it on yours!) but more out of interest to see how everyone else has done it. Mainly as I have a friend who went totally stupidly ott (in excess of £100k), and another who spent around £25k initially and then built up over the years, so was trying to figure out if it was infact possible to go even lower agian-and youve both proven that it is.
Beds for example though, the cheapest I have been able to find them for are £600 (motorised) and Id need 3-which shoots the spending up straight away before Ive even started :eek:perhaps I need to be more frugal:confused: hmmmmmmmm oh the joys!
Thanks again-anymore input is once again-gratefully received!
Sparkleberryxx

As I say a lot of it is in fixtures & fittings. I only have two couches, which aren't motorised as I've never got on with them or the hydraulic ones! I also had a lot of equipment from my self-employed years stashed away (steamer, electrolysis machine etc), which save a fortune & I bought some trolleys etc from a salon that I used to work at that was closing down - the furniture & display cabinets came from Ikea.

I got my bed from an advert in the local paper - beauty student come mobile therapist decided it wasnt for her so sold loads of kit and a bed through the paper - i got lucky.

Ebay is excellent too for equipment as there are quite a few people either downsizing or closing salons, usually a bargain can be picked up.

I probably spent between 25 and 30k. My salon has 9 rooms though and i had to have it re-plumbed, re-wired and completely redecorated. I did the decorating myself with and friend and it took 6 months. It was a hair and beauty salon before so there was bits of equipment in there but i had to buy a lot more plus the stock. I got a lot of stuff off ebay and got some great bargains. Dread to think how much more i would have spent if i'd had to pay someone to come in and do all the work. The only work me and my friend didn't do was the plumbing and that was 2k!

I probably spent between 25 and 30k. My salon has 9 rooms though and i had to have it re-plumbed, re-wired and completely redecorated. I did the decorating myself with and friend and it took 6 months. It was a hair and beauty salon before so there was bits of equipment in there but i had to buy a lot more plus the stock. I got a lot of stuff off ebay and got some great bargains. Dread to think how much more i would have spent if i'd had to pay someone to come in and do all the work. The only work me and my friend didn't do was the plumbing and that was 2k!

yikes :eek:

i just saw my prime place ....had my eye on it for 3 years and its now coming available.......i read the above and im scared :-( very scared !

Go for it Amber if it is something you have always wanted. I am just in the process of setting up with a friend of mine and we will come in under 5k, but I have a lot of stuff alredy from my already established business.

gosh i feel such a miser! i have done it on 3K............

Gulp - I feel I have been a right tight a**e! I suppose like Martin I had bits and pieces that I had collected over the years so had the staple bits like my bed, wax pot, Jessica bits etc but mainly I have kept to a strict strict budget and only bought when I can afford it. I have taken my time on most things (not everything and hence have bought stuff that hasn't been right):lol:

The one huge item I have invested in is my Microdermabrasion machine which I love.

I did quite a bit of research at shows too, my couch sarongs I have are only about 5 quid each and towels I got from Majestic (but I think Primark are as cheap and good value)

I would love to have the money to get a fantastic skincare brand in but have decided on Eve Taylor for the moment which I feel is professional and with my values too. Thats not to say I won't keep looking - there is so much out there and it all sounds gorgeous - is hard not to go mad!

I wish you lots and lots of success - whatever you do has to be right for you, just get as much support as you can and you can't go wrong.

Good luck
x

Under 3k here for me....small salon (see pics in album)....It doesnt have to cost a fortune...keeps your costs low to start with and you will profit much earlier x

Latest posts

Back