Starting up in the current finanical climate

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teens74

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am new to the site and hoping to start my training in a few weeks with my local college so no doubt i will be on here lots asking questions lol

Anyway, I sent a message to a freind of mine who owns her own hairdressing salon asking her to meet me for a cup of coffeee so i can pick her brain about starting my own business (when qualified) She told me not to do it and it would be best to work for someone else to get a wage

A bit about me, i have done office work since I was 18 (now 35) and I hate it and hate working for someone else, I am interested in beauty and thought this would be a good way to get some love back into my work as well as set up on my own so I am my own boss. plus hubby and I want to start a family soon so i can work the business around that is my logic.

My plan at the mo is to train, be mobile, have a baby (still doing mobile work) then when the time is right to get my own room somewhere with the aim of getting my own business, so possibly a 5/6 year plan

Now my worries are am I being silly. In this day and age should I just do office work and not take the risk of being self employed. Looking through your posts you all sem fairly busy, I do know it wont be easy and I dont mind hard work but I dont want to be skint lol

Ty for your opinions/advice

T x

I think the amount of risk that would be sensible to take would depend on the amount of income your husband is bringing in and how secure his job is.

If he's bringing in enough income to cover the bills, and his job is secure, then this would give you more scope to set up self employed without risking being unable to pay the mortgage/bills/etc if it takes a while to bring in a steady income after starting up...
Posted via Mobile Device

I advertise everywhere possible have all my kit available 24/7 as i'm mobile and earn nothing basically.

I would much prefer to work in a salon for someone else and mobile weekends or something.

I have been trained for a year now do loads of advertising and have no cusomers well only a few!!! I work in promotions which I hate now, If I was you I would do your training and then later see if maybe you could go partime and do a little of each. That is what I have to do. Would love just to do nails and tans but have to do promotions as well.

On this site it seems split into 2 types, those of us that have been doing this a long time and earn good livings at it, and those that are starting out and trying to find their feet.
To be honest I would advise anyone to firstly get trained. It may all look very easy but I can assure you that our industry requires both training and practise. If you then find out if your good at it, and enjoy it on a day to day basis, then its worth exploring a business.
Being self employed is good in the good times and hellish in the bad. I can understand your friend's comments especially if you have a romantised view.

I think it takes a long time to build up your client base, so you have to allow loss of income for a while, and all the money you have to invest into your business , but don't let it put you off if you can afford it, but just to let you know it's not easy and takes a long time to reep the rewards :hug:

Start training, go mobile and start a family-not the ideal mix-lol.
I would train and then do mobile alongside your day job until you had a good client base. Having a baby whilst doing this will make it harder although not impossible.
There are so many therapists out there looking for work that it would be hard to get employed work when you are new to the business.
I would suggest doing a course to see how you get on-it's not the easy job a lot of people assume it is :)

Last edited:
I am in the same position. I have an office job with a good salary but my heart is just not in it. We are trying to save a deposit for our own house plus saving for my training as I would like to do CND training, Tantrick tanning, Flirties, waxing and beauty. This is all going to take time and patience and on top of saving for all of that I will also be trying to have my own savings fund to get some mortgage payments saved for when I am finally in the position to take the plunge and go into business with my friend; so that I can still pay my way for our house. I am under no illusions that this is going to be very tough and a very steep learning curve both work-wise and financially but it's a chance I think I owe myself to take. You will never know unless you try :hug:

I think it won't be very easy for you to start with. You are in a position where you have a good,safe job which pays your bills and the beauty won't bring you much income from the start. But i have to say, if you're good at it, the reward will be great. I was in the same position. I give up a good profession (because I hated it) to get trained for two years. When I finished it I started to work for someone first, and only after a year and a half I felt like I was ready to set up my own business. I'm doing well now, but it's not just luck. It took me a lot of time, money, and a lot of training. If you feel like it is the right thing to do,don't doubt then and go ahead with it. I was told that it was a crazy idea many times too, but they all were wrong. I have a job I love, great working hours, no boss, not bad income out of it. So, best of luck! :hug:

Hi I would assume with going to college and thinking of babies, you are prepared to take a drop in salary. It depends on where you are im sure, but generaly the beauty industry has not been hit hard by the ressesion, certainly not here. I have friends in Salons, home salons and mobile like me, and there all busy. So as far as thats concerened, it's just a case of advertising like mad and being brilliant so they keep coming back
Mobile works brilliantly round having kids, I have two, one at school and one at nursery. So have been doing four mornings and 5 evenings a week. It is hard work and you do get tired, but it's worth it, and if you love your job it makes it a whole lot easier.
Good luck with your course.:hug:

I would say think about child care costs too.
I have two little monster ages 2 and 3. It costs me £80 a day to have them in nursery or £50 for half day (4 hours) So that means sadly I wouldnt earn a bean really.

Hence I work evenings only at the moment and it works great for me as my kids now go to bed and stay in bed.

However it wasnt that long ago i was still breastfeeding one (which incidently your hubby cant do!!) so i would have never have been able to do any clients as i could have been called out midway through training.

There are alot of things to think about but i have done what you are considering and for me it works.

I had kids and continued with my office job part time. Then re-trained at college in the evenings and took the odd days holiday here and then for additional courses.

Now kids are settled i continue my part time ofice job as it brings in a little money still and gives me a break! and work in my salon in the evenings.

I opened in January and book 2-3 weeks in advance so I am now certainly making it work. Mobile business however would never work for me as I need maximum client turnover.

Personally I would just go for your training now and enjoy it. I loved college so much i wish i was still there!

I retrained at the age of 36 about twenty years. Like I you worked in an office and after I had my children I decided to retrain in something completely different, had alway been interested in beauty so trained as a beauty therapist. I did my first year at college full and the next two years part time to fit in with the childrens school. While I was doing this I worked saturdays on a cosmetic counter in Barkers Kensington in London. After I qualified I went mobile and when I had a few clients I rented room and have been there ever since. I work part time (three days a week) and still do the occasional mobile client. Make sure that you do something that you really like and become good at it. I do do loads of electroylsis and it is my bread and butter when thing are slow those client have kept me going.

I wish you luck in what ever you do:hug:

Latest posts

Back