Storing Polish when Mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Ang*

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what you keep your polish in when you're out and about mobile. At the minute mine are kept upright in a small case...but obviously all I see is the top of the bottle. Having to pull out each one to find the right colour is a bit of a pain.

I have searched the threads but couldn't find any...apologies to the mods if there's lots :o

Any ideas what I could use would be greatly appreciated :hug:

I would be interested in this as well! Thanks for posting.

See-through boxes...??
Mine used to be a long and clear plastic box. You could only fit 2/3 bottles length wise, which means you could see most of the colours if you turn the box round.
If you don't want to pull out each colour, why don't you give the box to your clients to pull out while you do their manicure, it occupies them and saves them from moving about too much.
Oh and you may want to do a search, I remember that there has been a few threads about carrying polishes when mobile.

How about having a colour wheel with your colours on to give to the client, if they are numbered, you can have the corresponding number on the lid of the bottle.

What about buying those little self adhesive stickers. Put one on the top of each lid and paint with a blob of the colour that's inside?

Thanks geeks, I have some great ideas there!

I did do a search of the threads but couldn't find anything, I probably typed the wrong key words in :irked:

This is a brilliant thread! Been thinking the same thing for a while, thank you geeks! x

How about having a colour wheel with your colours on to give to the client, if they are numbered, you can have the corresponding number on the lid of the bottle.

That's what I do...I'd be far too disorganised otherwise!! :)

I put a blob of the polish on the brush top, I use an old paint brush for this.
I keep them all in a vanity case and I bought some foam from the market, the ones with bits cut out all over, push a bottle into each hole, then a piece of card, that's nothing fancy it's a side from a thick packing box that I painted black, that's on top of the first layer and then another layer of foam with more bottles, yep, I'm a polish addict lol

I've cheated (sort of lol)... when I bought my enamels I had some of the boxes with them, you know, the ones with the cut out fronts so you can see the colour of the enamel... I have a lot of mine stored in those. When I'm mobile it's a lot easier to pick up a few boxes with 6 enamels in each, rather than try to take them individually.
Although that probably doesn't help much you could try to source something similar :D

I found a portable tool case with a clear front. IT has shelves in it and a handle on top. Works great.

I've been mobile for four years, and made myself this board to carry my polishes:

nailpicsmay021.jpg

nailpicsmay024.jpg

nailpicsmay026.jpg

For a while, I was making them and selling them to other techs, but I wasn't making any profit and because they are fairly heavy they cost a lot to ship. I'd be happy to help you make one yourself though! (note to mods - I'm not selling here, just helping out if anyone wants to make one... because mobile techs are such a niche market, I didn't feel like putting the money out to patent the design.)

It's two pieces of MDF (not the super thin one), covered in black fleece for padding. There are little elastic "seatbelts" woven through the boards to hold the bottles securely - I've NEVER dropped a bottle off this board, and it gets hauled around everywhere. The boards are hinged together and have a carry handle.

I use the one in the picture - it holds 40 bottles. I've made one bigger for 60 bottles, but it gets too heavy to carry! I also made one in pink, and one in black satin.

DawnMayJune2008069.jpg

Please pm or email me if you want any help, but I'm sure you could put something together that would suit you perfectly - the right size, the right colour - and it would be just right for you.

Good luck!

I've been mobile for four years, and made myself this board to carry my polishes:

nailpicsmay021.jpg

nailpicsmay024.jpg

nailpicsmay026.jpg

For a while, I was making them and selling them to other techs, but I wasn't making any profit and because they are fairly heavy they cost a lot to ship. I'd be happy to help you make one yourself though! (note to mods - I'm not selling here, just helping out if anyone wants to make one... because mobile techs are such a niche market, I didn't feel like putting the money out to patent the design.)

It's two pieces of MDF (not the super thin one), covered in black fleece for padding. There are little elastic "seatbelts" woven through the boards to hold the bottles securely - I've NEVER dropped a bottle off this board, and it gets hauled around everywhere. The boards are hinged together and have a carry handle.

I use the one in the picture - it holds 40 bottles. I've made one bigger for 60 bottles, but it gets too heavy to carry! I also made one in pink, and one in black satin.

DawnMayJune2008069.jpg

Please pm or email me if you want any help, but I'm sure you could put something together that would suit you perfectly - the right size, the right colour - and it would be just right for you.

Good luck!

Wow these are awesome Seraphine!!!! How heavy are they?

I'm glad you like it!

I've never weighed it - I'll get it out of my office and check it later. I've never had any bother carrying it around though. My very first incarnation of it used thinner MDF, but you need it to be strong enough to hold without bending. This one is 4 years old and is still fine!

I'm glad you like it!

I've never weighed it - I'll get it out of my office and check it later. I've never had any bother carrying it around though. My very first incarnation of it used thinner MDF, but you need it to be strong enough to hold without bending. This one is 4 years old and is still fine!

Wow, they must be really strong then lasting 4 years and still going strong:) I really like the one in the middle (the smaller one) - you should patent this product!

beauty express do a polish holder for travel at £15 its a clear perspex box with segments for polish, however the designs above are such a good idea too.

Wow, they must be really strong then lasting 4 years and still going strong:) I really like the one in the middle (the smaller one) - you should patent this product!

The one in the middle only holds 18 polishes (9 per side), and is actually sitting in my cupboard unused at the minute.

Patents cost a fortune, and I've found not a lot of nail techs were willing to pay what they cost me to make. I used to sell the mid sized one for about £30, plus it cost about £7 to ship them. I've seen a few things like this one, and I know some techs who've used fishing tackle boxes - they are cheaper than what I made, and cost is usually a big factor in these things.

So seeing as I've already thrown this out there (thereby, anyone could steal the design... so I might as well give it away!), I'm happy to help someone make one for themselves.

The one in the middle only holds 18 polishes (9 per side), and is actually sitting in my cupboard unused at the minute.

Patents cost a fortune, and I've found not a lot of nail techs were willing to pay what they cost me to make. I used to sell the mid sized one for about £30, plus it cost about £7 to ship them. I've seen a few things like this one, and I know some techs who've used fishing tackle boxes - they are cheaper than what I made, and cost is usually a big factor in these things.

So seeing as I've already thrown this out there (thereby, anyone could steal the design... so I might as well give it away!), I'm happy to help someone make one for themselves.

OMG!! Those are amazing - I would buy one from you if you were still making them. Awesome idea! Atm, I just carry my polishes in a small soft vanity case, yes they all end up all over the place by the time I get to a client. My problem is the bottle sizes though, most of my polishes are Barry M and I cant seem to find a case to fit them in.

god these are good mine are just all in a flat case and are just thrown in but this looks ace and especailly if i did it in pink as well!!!!!

i've been mobile for a year now and i'm actually amazed by those boards! how smart! i was thinking of investing in a OPI black manicure case which has the special slots for nail varnish, but seein those and my dad bein a diy freak i'm half thinking of saving £60... ooo descisions descisions!!!

Latest posts

Back