Struggling with acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachg

Reaction score
Hi geeks I passed my acrylic course earlier this year and I still seam to be struggling with it.... I use a very good brand of acrylic and brush but I'm not happy with them. I don't like my brush and the acrylic sets too fast for me..
Any recommendations for acrylics liquid and powder and a brush would be great thanks. The brush I have is a cnd 8 I find it doesn't pick enough up for certain nails and it's too pointy which then makes me struggle with the cuticle area just some a set n im so down about them because although they wernt horrendous they wernt good enough and I thought by now Id be getting better x

I like crystal nails liquid and powder with size 8 brush x

I'm not going to be a lot of use to you here but just wanted to suggest that it might help if you also mentioned what L&P you use as it must be down to finding what brand works for you. I'm not able to help you as I'm still practicing myself and lack experience with different systems and so far I'm quite happy with the CND stuff but I am sure here are people who are more knowledgeable about different brands and can suggest one that might work better for you. I'm sure there are people who swear by the system that you find hard working with but also people who might have experienced what you are feeling now and can tell you how they solved the issue.

I trained with and use NSI attraction. The college where I studied advised that this L+P has a slower setting time than some others therefore good for students to train in. I've recently changed brushes to the Toni brush as it's more pointed and I find easier to work with however the brush included in the NSI kit is more rounded.
Is the ratio of L+P in your beads correct? If they are too dry it will be difficult to work with once you apply it on the nail. x

Thanks guys... I use cnd I know it's a very good brand but I find it hard to work with as a beginner just find it sets too quickly for me...im going to practice with my ratios a few people have mentioned crystal nails 8 brush so might give that a go.
Does anyone have any knowledge of mixing with pigment powder/glitter and the correct rations to use?
Thanks

CND has a slower setting time than most acrylic brands, It could be your thinking about it too much and playing with the bead to much, have you watched the CND videos on liquid and powder application , they are very clear and you can really see how to flatten the tip of the brush and make the brush work for you :)

I have my CND l&p final day on Monday but people are already asking me for acrylics but there's no way I can offer it. I've told them I'm not comfortable with offering the service yet which is fine but I literally have no idea how long it will be before I have the confidence.... At the moment it scares the hell outta me.

I did a set the other day, and it took me 2 1/2 hrs :( it's stressing me out!! Xx

I trained with NSI attraction but have changed to CND and I absolutely love it! Never get anyone back with broken nails,definitely stronger xx

We are trialling CND retention too and are having nothing but probs but with the bead pick up and the smell...... any advice would be great as my poor nail tech is getting really stressed and also wants to quit. Its just so runny so ratios are obviously wrong.

I'm very part time, use CND and have done about 150 sets since training, but sometimes, just sometimes.. a set just doesn't go right! I don't know why..no rhyme nor reason, but I get half way through and just want to wipe the whole lot off and start again..which obviously isn't possible, but by the time its all filed and done, its fine..

I think guinea pigs (human sort.. ;) are definitely the way forward until you feel more confident..I'm trying to explain that no matter how many sets you do, it is possible that you will never feel 100% confident..I'm not sure anybody really does...its the striving for perfection thing that makes us want to do better each set we do.

Also what we see as a tech and what the customer sees is not always the same thing. I'm sure you will be fine..its just practice!
Youtube is a great resource..just get yourself a load of cheap tips and settle down for an evening or three .. ;)

I still tell my customers to allow 2 hours ish, but we do tend to have a gossip and cuppa as well, so often is more like 3!!

NIC77- I got a Nail harmony prohesion trial pack yesterday, and although they say the ratio is 2:1 rather than CND 1.5:1, so far the bead had been a LOT firmer and stayed where it was put!..(might be switching, but need to put it on guinea pigs first, rather than just tips..;) ) Have a look at fingernail fixer's youtube..she explained bead pickup and texture etc sooo well..

Last edited:
aww thanks so much for that post Tiggerlady - our heart wants CND (don't no why think its all the comments on clarity and low odour) but our heads are saying Gelish as its more workable.

If you're finding it too runny/dry then the mix ratio is wrong. Go back to basics and practice picking up a bead and setting it down to see how it 'settles'. If there's very little settling then it's too dry and you need more liquid. If it runs everywhere the it's too wet and you need less liquid.

Regarding the brush you may find you prefer one with a flattened ferrule. I prefer this style brush too so I use an EzFlow 508 which is lovely to use but I use it with CND Rentention+ which I love. Over the years I've trialled a few different brands but I've yet to find anything better.

Hi geeks I passed my acrylic course earlier this year and I still seam to be struggling with it.... I use a very good brand of acrylic and brush but I'm not happy with them. I don't like my brush and the acrylic sets too fast for me..
Any recommendations for acrylics liquid and powder and a brush would be great thanks. The brush I have is a cnd 8 I find it doesn't pick enough up for certain nails and it's too pointy which then makes me struggle with the cuticle area just some a set n im so down about them because although they wernt horrendous they wernt good enough and I thought by now Id be getting better x

Took me nearly a year to get really proficient. You need to use the tools that work for you, not necessarily what you are told are the best. I found NSI brushes to be good, and I always used CND acrylic and powder, though I used the NSI soft white powder for the tips. We're told time and again we cannot mix one brand of monomer with another brand of powder, but as I only used the two different products on the tips, I had no problem for the 12 years I did this. I found that NSI powder was not as good as the CND, which never lifted and had more clarity. Remember, you always push the ball of acrylic up towards the cuticle, never try to drag it down first. Also, I found that I'd put a ball at the cuticle zone, leave it for 5 or 6 seconds, then lightly brush down for a flawless finish.

We are trialling CND retention too and are having nothing but probs but with the bead pick up and the smell...... any advice would be great as my poor nail tech is getting really stressed and also wants to quit. Its just so runny so ratios are obviously wrong.

I used Retention for years and found it the best product by far. Ratios can be determined by the brush size, so if the brush is large, you need to wipe off excess, or blot a little before you pick up the product. Getting the ratio spot on comes with experience. What works for one person might not work for another, so when you first learn, you go by the book and by what you're taught initially. Acrylic is temperamental. It hates being too warm or too cold. You know when the ratio is right because the ball if firm but malleable. It should keep it's shape but still spread slightly if left for 5 or 6 seconds. Sorry to say it, but a workman should never blame his tools. It'll be the tech's fault, not the product.

I have my CND l&p final day on Monday but people are already asking me for acrylics but there's no way I can offer it. I've told them I'm not comfortable with offering the service yet which is fine but I literally have no idea how long it will be before I have the confidence.... At the moment it scares the hell outta me.

I did a set the other day, and it took me 2 1/2 hrs :( it's stressing me out!! Xx

When I started out, I offered a reduction until I got adept. This way I got loads of practice but still got paid. It used to take me 2.5 hours to get it right with a shed load of filing. I can now do a set in 45 mins with barely any filing provided the nails are in good nick with no problems. When you get really good, you don't need to file file file. All your shaping is done with the brush. Filing just tidies it all up.

Thanks everyone my therapist is using CND brush 8 and Im not sure if its flat - ill get her to look at brush size and take your points onboard. i know I've read its best working with a flat brush so Ill take a look at the NSI brushes too. We know its ratios and we have to get them sorted so its just down to practice practise practise and fingers x we will crack it .... we are just finding it easier with the Gelish than the CND sadly. Hearts want CND due to the clarity reported, look, feel & positive comments on the net but head is saying Gelish as it's easier to work with (we must be getting our ratios correct with this one but we don't know as yet if they are staying on.
Jose34 we def know its not the tools and its us! Just need a few pointers in the right direction so we don't get too overwhelmed and give up.... we will keep banging away unless the odour gets the better of us.

When I started out, I offered a reduction until I got adept. This way I got loads of practice but still got paid. It used to take me 2.5 hours to get it right with a shed load of filing. I can now do a set in 45 mins with barely any filing provided the nails are in good nick with no problems. When you get really good, you don't need to file file file. All your shaping is done with the brush. Filing just tidies it all up.
we are doing them for free at the moment ... dare not charge at the moment they are not up to standard.

we are doing them for free at the moment ... dare not charge at the moment they are not up to standard.

Your choice of course, but I found most people were happy to have a set done, for the price of the product at least.

Thanks everyone my therapist is using CND brush 8 and Im not sure if its flat - ill get her to look at brush size and take your points onboard. i know I've read its best working with a flat brush so Ill take a look at the NSI brushes too. We know its ratios and we have to get them sorted so its just down to practice practise practise and fingers x we will crack it .... we are just finding it easier with the Gelish than the CND sadly. Hearts want CND due to the clarity reported, look, feel & positive comments on the net but head is saying Gelish as it's easier to work with (we must be getting our ratios correct with this one but we don't know as yet if they are staying on.
Jose34 we def know its not the tools and its us! Just need a few pointers in the right direction so we don't get too overwhelmed and give up.... we will keep banging away unless the odour gets the better of us.

Why are you using a flat brush?

Your choice of course, but I found most people were happy to have a set done, for the price of the product at least.
we did try a small charge but had no offers ... now its free they are flooding in strangely. At least its helping us perfect our technique and we are now having to do some tests on the odour control as its got unbearable and we can't shift it .... so next week is all about working smarter and odour control otherwise the kits are going in the bin -(.

Latest posts

Back