Swimming after tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all,

If a client has been spray tanned and the next day they shower it off and all is well (fabulous looking tan), the wiht their fab tan they decide to go swimming, would the chlorine effect their colour at all?

Carol XXXXXXXXXX

Hi all,

If a client has been spray tanned and the next day they shower it off and all is well (fabulous looking tan), the wiht their fab tan they decide to go swimming, would the chlorine effect their colour at all?

Carol XXXXXXXXXX

I would say so, yes. I always mention to clients, especially those having pre-holiday tans, that both swimming pools and sea water are likely to hasten the fading of their tan.

Yes, chlorine will strip the tan, even being in water for a long period of time would strip the tan without any chlorine!

Hi all,

Carol XXXXXXXXXX

It could strip it bare or at best create an uneven blotchy tan.:eek:

I had the misfortune to have to visit the dentist earlier this week and whilst waiting to go in for that dreaded filling I saw a chart on the wall indicating which things are most acidic and as such strip away enamel.....

The worst on the list was battery acid(quiet why anyone would want to suck on a battery completely baffles me :green:) and the second worst offender was chlorine...so if it can strip your teeth of enamel whats it going to do to your tan:eek:

Best to avoid chlorine altogether but if needs must ensure you overdo things in the shower to remove as much residue chlorine on the skin as is possible.

Also step up the use of DHA impregnated moisturisers which will help retain the tan and or assist in covering up any blotchy stripped areas.

Bit of a loosing battle though and best simply avoided.

HTH :hug:

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

Too be honest I thought it wouldn't good for a tan, but its nice to get confirmation from all you geeks.
I shall tell my client to skip her swimming session if she wnts to look fab for her night out. Oh i'll also remind her to beware of any battery acid before her big night:lol:.

Carol XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi there

Does anyone know this for sure, experienced it or had a client who has?

DebO

I swim a couple or three times a week and my tan doesn't last longer than a week but it does last a week and that is my choice to swim. That is the advantage of having all your own kit! I always shower afterwards and use body butter everyday (except day of tan obv!) and although it doesn't last very long, it doesn't go blotchy. In terms of clients I recommend they don't swim but at the end of the day that is their decision. Using tan-extending moisturiser would help I'm sure but I like my thick gloopy stuff. I know, there is no understanding some ppl! I am a law unto myself! Lol Lx

Hi there

I have all the gear too and was thinking of getting my husband to spray me but we'd just joined a club with a pool and wanted to go swimming (preferably not as a ghost), and wanted a definite experience/answer rather than beware it might happen (cos it might not lol).

I would imagine that as the water is all over the body it's less likely to be patchy but more likely to just wear off quicker.

Thanks will give it a go now.

DebO

Hi there

I have all the gear too and was thinking of getting my husband to spray me but we'd just joined a club with a pool and wanted to go swimming (preferably not as a ghost), and wanted a definite experience/answer rather than beware it might happen (cos it might not lol).

I would imagine that as the water is all over the body it's less likely to be patchy but more likely to just wear off quicker.

Thanks will give it a go now.

DebO

Not necessarily..it can wear patchy.

I wouldn't get to excited about all this...just don't go swimming before the tan has fully taken...I know your not supposed to but moisturise well before swimming which can help create a barrier and use a moisturiser fortified with DHA regularly after.

If that works then job done :hug:

The worst on the list was battery acid(quiet why anyone would want to suck on a battery completely baffles me :green:)
PMSL!!!!!!!!
:lol::lol:

so for people wanting spray tans before holidays its not a good idea? I know it sounds daft but I was going to spray tan myself before my holiday i am a scottish pale shade of blue afterall but I have also just had someone ask me about swimming so i dont know what to say to them now

Hi,

i do spray tans and i'm also a leisure centre manager, in the summer and the rool up to crimbo i spray some of the staff and they go swimming as norm after they've been sprayed. it's not the chlorine in the water that strips the tan (it's only 1.5 - 2.0 ppm, so it's not going to bleach it) it's being in water for a long time, so softening the skin then rubbing yourself dry with a towel that'll strip it off. i always tell the girls to go swimming like normal but don't go too mad with the showering ie don't go scrubbing yourself all over in the shower to get rid of the smell then just wander about with your towel round you till you're dry or gently pat dry and smother yourself in body cream to stop the skin drying out. obviously if they go every day then the tan will fade much quicker same as if they lie in the bath for an hour every night, but if it's only a once a week swim it doesn't do much to the tan. in fact some of my staff will have a spray if they're going to do lifeguard training at another centre so they don't look pasty!!

HTH

Cat x

hi

i have been tempted to tan myself then go swimming to see the result, but i'm just a wimp and dont want to waste a good tan!!!

i'll do it one of these days though and let you know how it goes

I had stained hands a couple of weeks ago from spraying-silly me hadn't wore gloves and spilled some over my hands.
I was away for the weekend and the hotel i was staying in had a pool and it completely got rid of the stains from my hands. I know what to do next time i need to get rid of some unwanted tan :)

Latest posts

Back