Taking deposits for appointments?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrstruman

Reaction score
Morning Geeks,
Do any of you take a deposit when booking appointments, i am thinking of doing this as i am quite often now getting new clients booking in and then not turning up, like this morning, Mondays are my day off, I had a lady who said she was desperate for an appointment and she could only do today so i agreed to do them and then she didnt turn up, tried to call her but no answer. :irked:

i know it's so annoying i have 4 last week !!!

i have thought about doing it for anything over £30.00 !

but how to approach that you can't take it over the phone can you !! :(

If a client doesn't bother to call and cancel an appointment one time she is on my black list and she can find another salon.

If a client cancels on the day 2 or 3 times she is asked to book all future appointments on the day as she clearly can't manage her time effectively - I don't say the last bit to the client though lol.

These clients are not worth worrying over as they are totally unreliable and as far as I am concerned let another salon lose time and money.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I see no point in threatening to charge them 50% or whatever amount if they cancel or don't show as its generally un-enforceable. They will just go somewhere else.

This allows me to have control over a situation that I prefer not to be in with cllients that I prefer not to have.

Jacqui xx

Last edited:
yes i see your point and it is noted think i need a black list !!

If a client doesn't bother to call and cancel an appointment one time she is on my black list and she can find another salon.

If a client cancels on the day 2 or 3 times she is asked to book all future appointments on the day as she clearly can't manage her time effectively - I don't say the last bit to the client though lol.

These clients are not worth worrying over as they are totally unreliable and as far as I am concerned let another salon lose time and money.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I see no point in threatening to charge them 50% or whatever amount if they cancel or don't show as its generally un-enforceable. They will just go somewhere else.

This allows me to have control over a situation that I prefer not to be in with cllients that I prefer not to have.

Jacqui xx
Going to use your blacklist idea lol, thanks

I have this quite a bit recently ;(.... I have been fully booked for months and I am until may!! :0... I have regular clients booking up to next Christmas because they know how busy I get!!! But.... Since Xmas I have had a few people, people that have only been two or three times previous, just not show up!! I have tried calling them but one gave me a false number and the others just rings and rings! They both had future appointments booked but because they haven't turned up to their last appointments, I have cancelled all future ones. I don't have the time for time wasters. I have been turning new clients away because I have my had the room or been putting them on my cancellation list... But that is just getting longer and longer. Lol. I thought of charging for cancellations or no shows but like previously said, they would just not come back! I hate time wasters

yes i see your point and it is noted think i need a black list !!

yes, very important! i had one lady call and be extremely rude to me on the phone and then call a month later and try to rebook with me. as if.

I ask for a 50% deposit to confirm a booking.

If the client does not pay their deposit within five days I will cease to hold their apt any further and call them to confirm if they still require their apt or not!.

If I can't get hold of them they have lost their booking and I confirm it in writing.

The only way I would rebook them then is if they pre paid the full amount up front.

Last edited:
I take a 50% deposit off all new clients. The only ones who aren't happy with paying are the ones who have no intention of turning up. I also have a cancellation policy where they pay 50% of the cost if no show. It isn't really used often but I have seen a big reduction from clients not turning up because of the notice! X

yes, very important! i had one lady call and be extremely rude to me on the phone and then call a month later and try to rebook with me. as if.

Out of interest, those of you who have a 'blacklist', what do you actually say to these people when they call to try and book an appointment?

Out of interest, those of you who have a 'blacklist', what do you actually say to these people when they call to try and book an appointment?

Due to previous no shows you will need to pay for the treatment in full. This will hold the appointment for you. If you cannot do this, then I'm afraid I will not be able to book you in for treatment.

Great! Some good ideas. I've been to soft up til now! Some people just don't realise it's your living.

Just now showing up then ring again to book in another time!

One lady last week had her treatment, then after said she'd not had time to go to bank and would pop back with money later.... Yeah 3 days later!

Another, her cheque bounced and when I called her not even a sorry! Just that she'd pay next time she came!

From past experience, I think a large number of Premier Spa clients take deposits , usually 25-50%.

A lot of people have cancellation policies as well - it's been asked about enough that we added it as a feature to our software. People are often at least taking a credit / debit number when the appointments are booked - tends to make sure that the client knows your serious about your cancellation policy! Make sure it's clear though - print it on your literature, so the client can't claim they didn't know about it.

I take a 50% deposit off all new clients. The only ones who aren't happy with paying are the ones who have no intention of turning up. I also have a cancellation policy where they pay 50% of the cost if no show. It isn't really used often but I have seen a big reduction from clients not turning up because of the notice! X

Totally agree! Why would you not want to pay a deposit unless you have no intention of turning up!
I went through an 8 week thing last year of very last minute new client cancellations.
After speaking to SGs I introduced a 50% non refundable deposit for treatments over £60.
I'm mobile so I set up a PayPal account for the transaction. Just remember about the fees they charge!

Latest posts

Back