Taking out a free listing in Yell.com

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydays

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience in dealing with Yell.com?

Following advice from another thread I decided to try and list my mobile nail business in as many free places as possible. I received a call from a salesman at Yell.com who has some how managed to get me to agree to someone from Yell.com coming out to see me to talk through advertising with them. The guy on the phone was quite pushy and basically said a free listing wouldn't get me any business as my listing would be on page 7 beyond.

Has anyone used Yell.com for either a free listing or a advertising package. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

The salesmen are pushy and persuasive and their advertising packages are expensive! They will convince you that paid advertising is the only way to go and they do packages that work out 'better' value than the individual adverts (i.e. the book + Yell.com)......

Be strong about what you want and don't let them push you (says Vetty who has paid Yell for the last 7 years, although bringing the cost down each year!!)

I got harrased by yell.com when i first started my business, i just kept saying no i couldn't afford to pay for any more advertising, and everytime they rang i would say no and they would offer me something for 'free' so i would take it, and now i have an advert with my website on, all the treatments i do, a picture, a map, a description about me, my phone number.... all for free and i get plenty of business from it :)

Im on yell.com (not in the book, but then who uses the book anymore?!)
I have a fab free add on there. Ive had loads of work from it.
I did once have a phone call from them. I got ready to stand my ground and say no to a huge ad bill, but to my surprise he was only calling to see how he could help me improve my listing :)

Im 2nd from the top of the 1st page and ive never paid a penny. Im VERY happy with yell :)

Search : mobile beauty therapist caerphilly (Beauty Treats)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I used yell for my other business and they were awful. Useless, not helpful and didnt take the direct debit even though it was set up. I cancelled it after a year and they then tried to take the full amount in one go! When the bank didnt allow them to yell didnt get in touch with me but sent the debt to a credit company and it all got worse from there! When i got in touch with yell they washed their hands of it all. I would never touch them with a bargepole again and i dont think the ad generated any business! :evil:

Thanks for all your replies. I feel like I have been pushed into meeting a salesperson which makes me feel uncomfortable!! Not sure if I should cancel or wait to see what they have to say? My nails business is only part time (am a stay at home mum) so can only do nails while my daughter is at nursery or in the evenings so can't really afford to advertise, but its a catch 22 if I don't advertise then ill never build my client list??

Ive just set up an advert with them. Im going to be paying 10 a month. (after my mum told me her comapny has never paid them ggrr)

So far its all gone well. We talk via email and he has done all amendments i ask straight away.

Cant tell you how it will turn out yet. Im also same as you sahm too 3 and work around kids.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

What the heck....
Free listing ?
Why on earth have I been paying £600 for ?
I was told they no longer offered free entries...
Fuming more than just a little bit.
Such pushy sales people too, that's it not renewing again :evil:

They rang me recently and I was very tempted until she said she wanted £43 a month. As a part time therapist, that is just to much money especially when I couldn't be 100% sure it would generate much business.

I got a call when I had just started up my home salon and was persuaded to pay monthly for an advert that contains photos/map/offers etc... For £15.60 1 year contract. He sweet talked me and I believed every word! Only had 1 client from it since last April. Won't be renewing it that's for sure!

I had a free listing once and all I got was regular calls from pushy sales people at Yell and other businesses ringing up trying to sell me things. Not one customer. I personally wouldnt use them.

I used to work in the free entry dept at yell and the listings are genuinely free of charge, you don't need to take out paid advertising to get one so please don't let any pushy sales people tell you otherwise. If you don't want to receive sales calls from them when you speak to them ask them to block your details from being passed onto the sales team and also from any 3rd parties as they are obliged to follow through on this if requested. They will then only be able to contact you with regards to your free entry!

Also about the 'not offering free entry' bit, the free entry in the actual book is no longer classified I.e you can't appear under nail technicians for example as the classifications are for paying advertisers only but this isnt the case for Yell.com, this is still classified for free entries. Sorry to harp on but it's just all come flooding back :0)

I dont know. They keep putting me down as Mr....
There are clearly a few idiots that don't realise...

I have no idea where my 'free' listing has disappeared to but I had enough after a few months of them calling me Mr and still calling when I asked not to x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I'm just starting out in the industry as a mobile hair extensionist and my mum is one of the top saleswoman for yell in the uk and the first thing she said to me was to set up a free ad on yell.com... Luckily enough she can do everything with my account once its set up and I know exactly what to say and who to talk to... But there's always stuff that can be done!

If you need any info don't hesitate to send me a wee direct message and I can ask my mum any questions if you want !xx

Fab advice everyone!!!

I have a free listing with yell.com which has been live for about a year. Went on it the other day just to see if I needed to amend/improve anything and all my details (photos, info about business, where I'm based etc etc) are now non existent!! Don't know where they've gone but I'm having to do it all again :(

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience in dealing with Yell.com?

Following advice from another thread I decided to try and list my mobile nail business in as many free places as possible. I received a call from a salesman at Yell.com who has some how managed to get me to agree to someone from Yell.com coming out to see me to talk through advertising with them. The guy on the phone was quite pushy and basically said a free listing wouldn't get me any business as my listing would be on page 7 beyond.

Has anyone used Yell.com for either a free listing or a advertising package. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

HI, Dont pay yell anything. After them quoting how many viewings they said i would get if i put myself at the top of the beauty school listings for my beauty training business, at a cost of £40 a month. I have asked everyone who trains with us where they found us and in 10 months since i took out advert not one person found me from yell. And im at the top of listings. So wont be renewing when contract runs out. Its rubbish, save your money

After having non stop nuisance utility companies calling me for the past 48 I would highly recommend steering clear I ticked that I didn't want 3rd parties calling me yet today United Utilities called me 6 times one after another while I was with a client and only stopped when I answered. They were then pretty damn rude with me. The last company to call this evening was British Gas, who were polite and explained that yell had sold my details to them (any any other company that will pay) to say I'm new in business (I'm not, just new to yell) and that I'm likely to continue to be harassed. Not impressed at all xxx

I have just taken out a paid advert £10 per month years contract as i need to get new clients as kids are both at school now. I looked at my listings in lots of different searches and i never came up first so hopefully now will be rotated at the top and get more customers as i hardly got any from free listing. the sales people are pushy and tried to sell me a website and loads of stuff !

Latest posts

Back