Taxpayers footing the bill for jobless to get manicures!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gosh what ever will they of next!!!
There was a similar scheme a couple of years back where by the unemployed agreed to go for a job interview and in exchange they were given a voucher to use at any highstreet store to kit them selves out with a whole new outfit and shoes!!!
I know of a few people who did this and simply did'nt go for the interview and returned the clothes to the store and recieved a full refund!!!!!! we are talking circa £150!!!!
I think it is down right disgusting but for as long as these people come up with these stoopid ideas there will always be someone who abuses it!!!
I think for the few tha genuinly would benefit from this incentive it is a shame because most just see it as a nother freebie
jmho!

Absolute madness! :eek::eek:

A good question would be if you had a client come in for a hair cut or manicure/nails that they said was funded by the government fot this would you agree to do it?

I really dont know if I would!
Course I would do it,if I didn't someone else would:green:

Anyway,I think it's an absolute joke but then again it's a sign of the times and now I have another thing to add to my already boiling blood because of this useless government.:irked:

How about looking after the OAP's who have actually contributed something to this country.

You know what,we get nothing for working hard in this country.OOOOOH dont get me started.:eek:

Why cant these people do their own manicures for goodness sake???

I read an article about this in paper today (daily star) according to them it applies to single parents (male or female) who have been jobless or on disability benefit for at least 6 months.

They also get free shopping trip, lunch & childcare costs.

TBH I can't believe someone has been paid to come up with this idea :eek: Also there will have been considerable costs involved with promotion (not that they'd need much to get any takers!) and marketing.

If they changed it so that the people recieved a treatment after 6 months of continuous work & no claims for benefits then that would be much better !

I got it from the Mail on sunday. It is unemployed single parents that are receiving free massages and beauty treatments.

so far, the cost to the Taxpayer is 60k but likely to spiral higher!

It is open to any single parent over the age of 18 who has been unemployed or on disability benefit for over 6 months.

It is operational in Hereford, Worcester, Northumberland, Durham and Greater Manchester.

Treatments include: Massge, Haircuts, Facials, Manicures and ear-piercing.

Now I'm not criticising single parents, a mums job is hard enough with a dad around to help... BUT, I know plenty of women who CHOOSE to remain single because they get MORE money off the DSS. They claim lone parent, have a bloke living in with them 'on the side' and get oodles of help from Tax Credits/DSS and benefit from help with childcare.

Indeed someone very close to us does this and openly admits that getting married is foolish and even living with someone is stupid because 'you will get caught'.

It does make me sick, as there are genuine single mothers who happened to have children with b****ds, or their partners died, or ran away with a younger model.. or many genuine reasons yet they have higher self esteem for both themselves and their children, to be scroungers.

I can't wait for the next Election, but I feel my vote is futile as it is the same old scum getting in.

so far, the cost to the Taxpayer is 60k but likely to spiral higher!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What would be even nicer if they refunded that 60k back at £30 to some of the tax payers & then they could treat themselves to a treatment !!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What would be even nicer if they refunded that 60k back at £30 to some of the tax payers & then they could treat themselves to a treatment !!

Taxpayers are in dire NEED of treatments to ease their tension because people get so stressed out about things like this, it makes me fume.

The whole country needs a drastic shake up for the sake of our children and our childrens children.

Why teach your kids to grow up and get a job and pay their bills and be straight, when it seemingly pays to be on the dole with all the free time in the world.. and STILL be able to afford the holidays abroad, the designer clothes... the luxury treatments... minus the wrinkled skin and the worry of getting to work on time etc etc...

... deep breath....

I read an article this afternoon that in several counties, the Deparment for Work and Pensions have decided to pay for unemployed women to get manicures/massages/haircuts and up to £30 to spend on clothes as part of their 'getting back to work' scheme.

To make the ladies feel good enough to search for jobs, and make them more presentable.

What do you think about this? Seeing as you pay out of your taxes, do you think it is a good idea.. or a joke?

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I'm sorry, but there are other ways they can do this. Like, hold a meeting with a positive speaker, etc. That I would understand.
OR a class on how to present oneself, what wardrobe is appropriate etc. Bring in a tech to teach them how to do their OWN manicures (much cheaper than sending them each to a technician).
But free manicures? HEY, then why don't us folk that are overworked and stressed out get a free vacation paid by our taxes?

the government's on drugs apparently, and don't have their priorities straight
:irked:

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I'm sorry, but there are other ways they can do this. Like, hold a meeting with a positive speaker, etc. That I would understand.
OR a class on how to present oneself, what wardrobe is appropriate etc. Bring in a tech to teach them how to do their OWN manicures (much cheaper than sending them each to a technician).
But free manicures? HEY, then why don't us folk that are overworked and stressed out get a free vacation paid by our taxes?

the government's on drugs apparently, and don't have their priorities straight
:irked:
I agree Victoria,much better ways of getting people back to work.

Yeah but it is not just one manicure, in my experience as per my earlier post the award is £100.

It makes my **@@!!! blood boil when I see things like this as in my situation where child tax credit was wrongly overpaid me through no fault of my own they still claiming this money back all 3 grand of it.

No wonder this bloody country has gone to the dogs!

Whoever comes up with these ideas really has no clue - I agree with other peoples comments if its my tax money I wanna say in how its spent.

Give it to hard working people who really need it - not lazy free loaders (sorry but 99% of the time there gonna be) who cant motivate themselves to get a job as there government "perks" are so good.

Imo all techs and therapists should refuse to do these freeloaders. I know we are here to earn money, but out of principle I would refuse. I stand on my feet all day, and am wondering whether the government will pay for me to visit a chiropodist. I dont think so!!!.
Its just taking the pi$$ basically. I'm sorry but there is absolutely no way that I am going to sweat my taters off pampering these peple. 99% of us have had to struggle at some point in our lives. No-one has bailed us out have they??
OOOH I am so angry.
If I was doing a treatment for someone in these circumstances, there is no way I could carry out that treatment without malice.
I know that sounds harsh, but it is with resentment.
If I couldn't carry out that treatment without feeling like this then I WOULD NOT do it. End of.

Deep breaths Elaine :green:

Imo all techs and therapists should refuse to do these freeloaders. I know we are here to earn money, but out of principle I would refuse. I stand on my feet all day, and am wondering whether the government will pay for me to visit a chiropodist. I dont think so!!!.

Deep breaths Elaine :green:

I agree 100% The only kicker is if you don't know until AFTER the service is done. THEN what? Deny a receipt? Say you don't have a receipt book? (I mean, really, who's company insurance pays for manicures? :rolleyes: I've never been asked for a receipt) I don't know that it's legal. Unless you have some sort of statement or sign that says "I'm not participating in this govt blah blah and will NOT offer receipts for services blah blah" BUT then you get wolloped for discrimination.
Short of all techs and hairdressers pounding on the government doors saying how vehemently one disagrees with this choice of spending of OUR tax dollars (ok, YOURS in this instance, I'm not in the UK)....You worked hard.. you paid your taxes, now you asked to give those same taxes to someone that doesn't deserve them?

I'm sorry. YES some people are in dire straights BUT there are BETTER ways of resolving this issue, and giving someone a present to make them feel better? WHAT A CROCK .. I know of people that abuse the system here in Canada.
IT DISGUSTS ME:irked: All the freebies, while hubby and I bust our butts, doing everything by the book, paying taxes......

it's not just in the UK that silliness like this happens, it's in the US and Cda too.

Personally? I think it's a certain government member trying to win votes from the welfare and unemployed members of society, saying "hey, vote for me, I'll give you a free ride"
:evil:

Personally? I think it's a certain government member trying to win votes from the welfare and unemployed members of society, saying "hey, vote for me, I'll give you a free ride"
:evil:

Hit the Nail on the head there Victoria!!!

More votes for Labour...

Maybe someone should send this link to the government offices or members involved in this farce?
Perhaps contact Scratch and see what type of article they can drudge up on the issue... maybe they can put a poll/comments thingie on their site.. to reach across the continent and speak to all techs that are not on geek?

A manicure is not going to get someone a job.
Neither is a haircut or a new wardrobe.
SKILLS and the DESIRE to work will get someone a job.

When someone says to me "I can't find a job" that's a LOAD OF CRAP.
If you want to work, you will find work. It's that simple

NOW, if you're going to be picky...hours, type of job, salary, you don't need the work or desire it enough.
(like me, I was looking for specific hours, etc and flat out refused to cross the bridge and put kids in daycare, HOWEVER, I could find a job that pays 45k/yr tomorrow if I wanted to or flip hamburgers if I wanted to cut off my nails).

Ok, rant over. Sensitive subject with me, although not in the UK. As I said, I know some system abusers... makes me NUTS.

Hit the Nail on the head there Victoria!!!

More votes for Labour...

I disagree, I could be totally wrong here, but IMO the people that we are all talking about (the ones that don't work and don't want to work, who are happy to freeload off of the rest of us) don't even have the gumption to go and vote, that is how lazy and not bothered they are, like I say IMO xx

I disagree, I could be totally wrong here, but IMO the people that we are all talking about (the ones that don't work and don't want to work, who are happy to freeload off of the rest of us) don't even have the gumption to go and vote, that is how lazy and not bothered they are, like I say IMO xx

Who knows? This could be another scheme for them.... free rides to local election points... door to door...

A bar of soap and a nail brush will do them.

I can't beleive they get treatments.

I mean are maccy d's gonna take a lovely polish job into consideration ? I think not :grr:

Ok they will prob say it's about self esteem,but imo it's a crock !

Looking at the news today they should be paying them to go to weightwatchers instead.Evidently 65% of employers wouldn't hire someone obese.

i think it takes the p***

Latest posts

Back