Techs hurting the industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Yet ANOTHER :irked:

A new client called me. She wanted to know if I could refill her "gel-resine" (this is what tip-n-dip is known as in Quebec). I said most certainly, but wouldn't she prefer something stronger? She said her current tech was moving away and she had gel-resin for years with no problems and that's what she prefers.

Ok, no problem. Give her what she wants, show her the differences.. etc..

She shows up, has a seat. I start the consult looking at her nails.
Right off, I can see that they are NOT gel-resine, they are acrylic and VERY thick acrylic at that. She tells me she hasn't had them filled in over 4wks.

I ask her a few more questions and discern that I'm indeed right, they are not gel-resine. I inform her of this, and she's determined that they are and most definately NOT acrylic as she doesn't like acrylic, it damages the nails.:rolleyes:
I explain to her the differences, show her the systems that I have. Show her the samples of L&P that I have. She points to the L&P and the L&P brush and says "she makes balls with that". I tell her "that's acrylic". I show her my gel-resine system and on the bottles they read "gel" on one and "resine" on the other. I show her on one nail how gel-resine is done, and she's telling "oh no, that's not at all what she does". (well, I already know that... LOL).
I get out my books - because she's still insisting it's gel-resine and not acrylic that she has on - and show her what the books show.
And then I say "perhaps your tech chose to call it gel-resine because of the bad rep that acrylic is getting these days due to the poor salons cropping up everywhere?" giving her a way out. After all, she's been with this tech over 10yrs, and this woman is in her 50's.... She doesn't want to be a fool.
She concedes that it's possible.
In the end, she decides to go with UV gel. Pheeew, that was a lot of hard work.
BUT NOW I have to file this stuff off AND she doesn't want me to use the electric file. Ok, more education now. She tells me her tech would....
now wait for it....

Soak her hands in acetone, then file, then soak then file, then soak then file.
:eek: :eek:
I have NEVER heard of this in my life.

I try filing by hand and they are ROCK HARD and smell wonky.
Yup, you guessed it.... MMA. I can file until I'm purple, but these puppies aren't going anywhere.
I explain the dilemma and voice my concerns that it's probably MMA acrylic.
I explain that efiles are not damaging, that techs using them wrongly cause damage. She voices concern about pain. I told her that if I hurt her, she can give me a good whollop. That it shouldn't and doesn't need to hurt.

Big sighhhhhhh LOL
Anyway, end of story is that she's coming back for a refill and has been reformed and educated and is a very happy camper.
Bonus for me: she works in a pharmacy with the public.. so hopefully I can garner referrals that way.

Her former tech apparently worked in a local salon, and not a nail bar.
Geez, they're everywhere, these "nss" techs. And I'm thinking to myself "doesn't the salon owner have a clue? Did she ask for certs when she hired her? etc etc":rolleyes:

More good news: 5 new clients in the last 3 weeks AND I haven't even distributed my new flyers yet. Hubby is on the moon and FINALLY agrees that I need to add a full day to my schedule and is definately against my returning to the office. I'm now nearly fully booked on my present schedule and definately need to add some hours somewhere. ESPECIALLY with grad season and wedding season starting.

whooooooooohoooooooooooo

I'm glad you finally managed to convert her luv- all that effort was worth it in the end eh?

And well done for your increasing success!:hug:

That's fabulous news V! Just goes to show that patience and skill usually win the day. Hopefully as you say, you should get some decent referrals and then the sky's the limit!!

xxxx sugar xxxx

Bloomin' dodgy techs! And on it goes................

Well done for getting her sorted and I'm gald things are on the up.

Glad things are finally going your way Victoria.:hug:
Don't you just love it when they say acrylic is bad, then you prove that they're actually wearing it, and their nails haven't dropped off!!

Well done Victoria!

Are you still doing some other work from home too? Was it office type work?

Thanks!

I have been doing some office work, and it's helping out. BUT I make more doing nails than I would doing office work for someone else. AND I enjoy it more :lol: So pushing my hubby to let me add that additional day :green: and I just MIGHT be able to do it now, with the latest influx and I KNOW I'll get more when my flyers go out, because I always do.:green:

Re: acrylic.
Yup, she was pretty stunned when I told her that all 3 systems (tip-n-dip, acrylic and uv gel) were actually ALL acrylic and that it's not the product that damages nails but poor techs (and/or clients that pick).
I have a large assortment of coloured powders from my gel-resine days, and I was showing them to her and she says to me "yes, my old tech has exactly those ones" So I showed her the small print on the jars and low and behold OMG they say "acrylic"
:lol:

It was soooooooo hard not to say "I told you so". But I smiled.. and said please be sure to ask your old tech what the name of the system is and I'll be able to tell you without any doubt what it is. (I found out yesterday when she booked her fill that the jars were unlabelled.:rolleyes: )

I hate that there are techs out there ruining it for everyone UGH. Makes our work that much harder.
But there is a certain feeling that comes with converting/educating someone, then gaining them as a client because you've shown them the light so to speak.
And she was a toughie, I'll tell you that. She did NOT want to believe what I was saying, but in the end.... with books and magazines to back me up.. what else could she believe? I also encouraged her to NOT take my word for it, and to research it on the internet and to call local schools.
In the end... who was she to believe? Her old tech or me?

It feels GREAT
:green:

Yet ANOTHER :irked:

A new client called me. She wanted to know if I could refill her "gel-resine" (this is what tip-n-dip is known as in Quebec). I said most certainly, but wouldn't she prefer something stronger? She said her current tech was moving away and she had gel-resin for years with no problems and that's what she prefers.

Ok, no problem. Give her what she wants, show her the differences.. etc..

She shows up, has a seat. I start the consult looking at her nails.
Right off, I can see that they are NOT gel-resine, they are acrylic and VERY thick acrylic at that. She tells me she hasn't had them filled in over 4wks.

I ask her a few more questions and discern that I'm indeed right, they are not gel-resine. I inform her of this, and she's determined that they are and most definately NOT acrylic as she doesn't like acrylic, it damages the nails.:rolleyes:
I explain to her the differences, show her the systems that I have. Show her the samples of L&P that I have. She points to the L&P and the L&P brush and says "she makes balls with that". I tell her "that's acrylic". I show her my gel-resine system and on the bottles they read "gel" on one and "resine" on the other. I show her on one nail how gel-resine is done, and she's telling "oh no, that's not at all what she does". (well, I already know that... LOL).
I get out my books - because she's still insisting it's gel-resine and not acrylic that she has on - and show her what the books show.
And then I say "perhaps your tech chose to call it gel-resine because of the bad rep that acrylic is getting these days due to the poor salons cropping up everywhere?" giving her a way out. After all, she's been with this tech over 10yrs, and this woman is in her 50's.... She doesn't want to be a fool.
She concedes that it's possible.
In the end, she decides to go with UV gel. Pheeew, that was a lot of hard work.
BUT NOW I have to file this stuff off AND she doesn't want me to use the electric file. Ok, more education now. She tells me her tech would....
now wait for it....

Soak her hands in acetone, then file, then soak then file, then soak then file.
:eek: :eek:
I have NEVER heard of this in my life.

I try filing by hand and they are ROCK HARD and smell wonky.
Yup, you guessed it.... MMA. I can file until I'm purple, but these puppies aren't going anywhere.
I explain the dilemma and voice my concerns that it's probably MMA acrylic.
I explain that efiles are not damaging, that techs using them wrongly cause damage. She voices concern about pain. I told her that if I hurt her, she can give me a good whollop. That it shouldn't and doesn't need to hurt.

Big sighhhhhhh LOL
Anyway, end of story is that she's coming back for a refill and has been reformed and educated and is a very happy camper.
Bonus for me: she works in a pharmacy with the public.. so hopefully I can garner referrals that way.

Her former tech apparently worked in a local salon, and not a nail bar.
Geez, they're everywhere, these "nss" techs. And I'm thinking to myself "doesn't the salon owner have a clue? Did she ask for certs when she hired her? etc etc":rolleyes:

More good news: 5 new clients in the last 3 weeks AND I haven't even distributed my new flyers yet. Hubby is on the moon and FINALLY agrees that I need to add a full day to my schedule and is definately against my returning to the office. I'm now nearly fully booked on my present schedule and definately need to add some hours somewhere. ESPECIALLY with grad season and wedding season starting.

whooooooooohoooooooooooo
Some people's kids?!?!?! hahaha oh well good on you for converting another one Vic. Keep up the good work your really coming along! :green: so proud of you, I can't wait until I'm there one day, hopefully sooner than later.

Well done, another one educated and converted! It's a battle sometimes isn't it?

Glad your business is doing well. xx

Sometimes i soak .. file... soak ...file....etc....especially if its MMA....and as you said it was MMA then no wonder she had to use this method.

bet she was chuffed to bits when you'd done. xx

But if it's not MMA..

Do you soak, file, soak ,file IF you're not removing them, but only refilling them?
Her tech apparently did this at every fill?

I've never heard it done if not MMA, and I'm about 99% sure it was MMA.... man it was TOUGH.

My question, I guess is, with regular Acrylic, wouldn't that be a no-no?

But if it's not MMA..

Do you soak, file, soak ,file IF you're not removing them, but only refilling them?
Her tech apparently did this at every fill?

I've never heard it done if not MMA, and I'm about 99% sure it was MMA.... man it was TOUGH.

My question, I guess is, with regular Acrylic, wouldn't that be a no-no?

ohhh i see....no way hun...not for an infill...why on earth !!!...crazy woman.

No just for full removal i meant...

you don't think she was using white tips on her do you...and therefore removing them to do another set on her due to the client having them on so long between appointments and she was under the impression it was a infill...??...

That's what I thought:wink2:

And no, not white tips. Airbrushed french that was STRAIGHT across, absolutely no smile in sight. Almost as if she used a ruler:eek:

ohhh i know that look well...seen it a few times....lovely isn't it...NOT...:lol: x

I mean, my smiles aren't perfect by a long shot, sometimes they're smirks :lol:

BUT I do know what a smile is, at the very least.

And the acrylic seemed to be in 'layers' if that makes sense? As I was filing, I believe that I saw 'layers'?:eek: And it would come away where 2 layers met.
VERY odd.:confused:

I mean, my smiles aren't perfect by a long shot, sometimes they're smirks :lol:

BUT I do know what a smile is, at the very least.

And the acrylic seemed to be in 'layers' if that makes sense? As I was filing, I believe that I saw 'layers'?:eek: And it would come away where 2 layers met.
VERY odd.:confused:
Sounds like a very naughty tech cutting corners to me!

Anyway good on you for converting your new client.....lets hope more to come.

I've got faith in you!!!:green:

Latest posts

Back