Terrified of flying!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holliex

Reaction score
Hi geeks! Just looking for a bit of encouragement lol! I'm terrified of flying, never been on a plane. My boyfriend is desperate for us to go on holiday next september for my birthday, he's asked hundreds of times and iv put it off for ages but finally gave in and said we could book it. I'm soo scared of getting on a plane!!! Is it really that bad?! I'm worried we will book it and I won't be able to get on the plane when it comes to it! Lol!! It's all I can think about! I'm scared of the taking off and landing, everyone has told me when your up in the air you can't even tell your moving? Help! Lol xx

Honestly Hollie it's fine! I'm scared of a lot of things (Ive come to realise im quite pathetic actually lol!) & even I'm fine with flying. First couple of times I was nervous I'll admit but it doesn't bother me at all now.

I think it is awesome when you take off! The bit were you go so fast down the runway gets me excited :eek:

My advice would be take some rescue remedy before you go & get a nice book & a comfy neck pillow & blanket & some snacks! You'll be on the beach before you know it.

Life's way too short too put things off! Imagine if you don't ever get over your fear of flying? You'll have so many regrets.

DO IT! xx

Honestly Hollie it's fine! I'm scared of a lot of things (Ive come to realise im quite pathetic actually lol!) & even I'm fine with flying. First couple of times I was nervous I'll admit but it doesn't bother me at all now.

I think it is awesome when you take off! The bit were you go so fast down the runway gets me excited :eek:

My advice would be take some rescue remedy before you go & get a nice book & a comfy neck pillow & blanket & some snacks! You'll be on the beach before you know it.

Life's way too short too put things off! Imagine if you don't ever get over your fear of flying? You'll have so many regrets.

DO IT! xx

I'm scared of everything to! I used to be scared to get in a lift!! I'm over that one now! Lol! I no I will love it when I'm there, if only I could be knocked out for the journey! X

I'm scared of everything to! I used to be scared to get in a lift!! I'm over that one now! Lol! I no I will love it when I'm there, if only I could be knocked out for the journey! X

Im scared of lifts too! Plus dogs, bees, frogs, spiders.. basically any animal, weirdest fear being my gas cooker (don't ask lol) i also have a major fear of getting in the water on holiday even in the shallow bit because I know I'll be the unlucky one a shark sniffs out, my list of fears is literally endless! Haha were you planning on going next September? x

Almost didn't post this because I felt I ought to be putting something positive about flying on here. But I'm TERRIFIED too!

OK well, here's something very positive, actually, our flight was very smooth and comfortable and the take off and landing were no trouble at all. (And on the way home we apparently had a trainee pilot but they didn't tell us that till we'd landed lol)

I was nearly 30 when I first flew. Had a bad panic attack on the plane and actually ran off in front of everyone. This was a while ago and I was calmed by the pilot and introduced to the hostesses to inspire confidence and actually allowed in the cockpit (I'm sure they wouldn't do that these days). . . it DID make me feel better seeing the guys in control actually as cool as if they were driving a bus, like they did it every day (well they do of course lol) and after much clever talk I was seated (with the airjets full on) and we took off soon after.

It was slightly better coming home, as there is a sense of inevitability about coming home . . . . you HAVE to come home, don't you? And it would have been a bloody long way on a boat.

However despite the fab flight and lovely crew I haven't flown since. Maybe one day I'll fly again!

I grew up during the seventies when plane crashes were much more common than they are today . . . you hardly ever hear of a British plane having problems. The statistics are something like 1 in 4,000,000 planes crashing - and approx 33,000 planes take off and land every day in complete safety.

I would consider doing a fear of flying course if I was booking another holiday and had to fly.

I have posted this not to scare you, but so you know others share your fear :hug:

Hope you have a wonderful time . . .. where are you going?

I used to be terrified of flying and I went to the docs who gave me something to calm me and I slowly weened myself off when flying and now I'm fine :) x

Im scared of lifts too! Plus dogs, bees, frogs, spiders.. basically any animal, weirdest fear being my gas cooker (don't ask lol) i also have a major fear of getting in the water on holiday even in the shallow bit because I know I'll be the unlucky one a shark sniffs out, my list of fears is literally endless! Haha were you planning on going next September? x

Lol glad I'm not the only one! I'm scared of roller coasters to, I'll never get on one of those! And I used to be scared of trains although I'll get on one now! Yes next September so iv got over a year to sort myself out!! Lol x

Bless you! I'm scared of rollercoasters - I don't do heights! Yet I LOVE flying! Don't think about the flights for now just plan your amazing holiday :D

(Unless you think you'll freak out - then maybe consider something like hynotherapy?)

Almost didn't post this because I felt I ought to be putting something positive about flying on here. But I'm TERRIFIED too!

OK well, here's something very positive, actually, our flight was very smooth and comfortable and the take off and landing were no trouble at all. (And on the way home we apparently had a trainee pilot but they didn't tell us that till we'd landed lol)

I was nearly 30 when I first flew. Had a bad panic attack on the plane and actually ran off in front of everyone. This was a while ago and I was calmed by the pilot and introduced to the hostesses to inspire confidence and actually allowed in the cockpit (I'm sure they wouldn't do that these days). . . it DID make me feel better seeing the guys in control actually as cool as if they were driving a bus, like they did it every day (well they do of course lol) and after much clever talk I was seated (with the airjets full on) and we took off soon after.

It was slightly better coming home, as there is a sense of inevitability about coming home . . . . you HAVE to come home, don't you? And it would have been a bloody long way on a boat.

However despite the fab flight and lovely crew I haven't flown since. Maybe one day I'll fly again!

I grew up during the seventies when plane crashes were much more common than they are today . . . you hardly ever hear of a British plane having problems. The statistics are something like 1 in 4,000,000 planes crashing - and approx 33,000 planes take off and land every day in complete safety.

I would consider doing a fear of flying course if I was booking another holiday and had to fly.

I have posted this not to scare you, but so you know others share your fear :hug:

Hope you have a wonderful time . . .. where are you going?

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!! I think I'll end up having A panic attack! I'm not so scared of the plane crashing although I hope it never does! Im just scared of feeling it going fast if you know what I mean!? I don't like the feeling of going fast in a car my stomach turns upside down! God I'm such a wimp! Lol :(
Not sure where we are going yet, we haven't booked anywhere. My boyfriend wants to go to spain/ greece/ Corfu. Iv suggested somewhere that's about 2 hours away! X

I used to be terrified of flying and I went to the docs who gave me something to calm me and I slowly weened myself off when flying and now I'm fine :) x

Think I'll be having a trip to the doctors before I go! X

Bless you! I'm scared of rollercoasters - I don't do heights! Yet I LOVE flying! Don't think about the flights for now just plan your amazing holiday :D

(Unless you think you'll freak out - then maybe consider something like hynotherapy?)

I need something! Maybe a tranquilliser!!!! Lol x

Hi, I too am petrified of flying. I have flown loads since I was little but the fear kicked in when I was 22 and I got worse and worse until I would not go in a plane any longer :sad:.
My children really wanted to go abroad so I did start again but would have panic attacks, couldn't breathe and would end up sobbing and digging my nails into my hand so hard they bled. My family love flying and would just laugh at me.
In desperation I went to the acupuncturist and had treatment, after that, I was a lot calmer. I will never like flying but it certainly took the edge off and at least I can now sit in a plane seat without being a blubbering wreck xx

I used to be scared and had a bit of a silent panic attack on the decent into Gatwick, coming home from my first holiday abroad.

I decided there and then that I would not let it stop me, so I had hypnotherapy and it worked! I only had two sessions, just before my next holiday. My husband couldn't believe his eyes, when we step into the plane and my anxieties melted away before my and his eyes!

I also strongly recommend you read the Allen Carr book on fear of flying. It takes your fears and explains everything.

Mallorca is two hours away from London airports and has something for everyone, from family friendly resorts, to mountain village hideaways, through to Magaluf that needs no explaining!! It will be lovely in September, still tan weather!

Hi, I too am petrified of flying. I have flown loads since I was little but the fear kicked in when I was 22 and I got worse and worse until I would not go in a plane any longer :sad:.
My children really wanted to go abroad so I did start again but would have panic attacks, couldn't breathe and would end up sobbing and digging my nails into my hand so hard they bled. My family love flying and would just laugh at me.
In desperation I went to the acupuncturist and had treatment, after that, I was a lot calmer. I will never like flying but it certainly took the edge off and at least I can now sit in a plane seat without being a blubbering wreck xx

Oh dear. What is it that you don't like about flying? X

ok, Im the same but I read a fab book by the best selling author allen carr..on fear of flying. Instead of trying to calm and relax you, it answers all the questions that you need answered. Ie what happens if an engine fails...what happens if the pilot falls ill....what happens in crazy turbulance...what happens if the landing gear fails....etc. It makes you realise that the plane is so safe and you really can relax and enjoy the flight.
For example...if the engines all fail (chance in a million) then the plane is able to glide into an airport and dosnt just fall out the sky. It can glide for 200 miles and every point on the flight map is within 200 miles of an airport. All systems have 2 back ups if the original fails etc etc. Well worth a read

I used to be scared and had a bit of a silent panic attack on the decent into Gatwick, coming home from my first holiday abroad.

I decided there and then that I would not let it stop me, so I had hypnotherapy and it worked! I only had two sessions, just before my next holiday. My husband couldn't believe his eyes, when we step into the plane and my anxieties melted away before my and his eyes!

I also strongly recommend you read the Allen Carr book on fear of flying. It takes your fears and explains everything.

Mallorca is two hours away from London airports and has something for everyone, from family friendly resorts, to mountain village hideaways, through to Magaluf that needs no explaining!! It will be lovely in September, still tan weather!

Thank you. I will deffinatly look for that book! Glad the hypnotherapy worked for you. I know I will love it abroad, I'm desperate not to be so scared! X

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!! I think I'll end up having A panic attack! I'm not so scared of the plane crashing although I hope it never does! Im just scared of feeling it going fast if you know what I mean!? I don't like the feeling of going fast in a car my stomach turns upside down! God I'm such a wimp! Lol :(
Not sure where we are going yet, we haven't booked anywhere. My boyfriend wants to go to spain/ greece/ Corfu. Iv suggested somewhere that's about 2 hours away! X

Well from my experience you don't need to worry about that! There was no sensation of moving at all really, like being sat in a chair in your house . . . it's not like going fast in a car or train or anything. x

ok, Im the same but I read a fab book by the best selling author allen carr..on fear of flying. Instead of trying to calm and relax you, it answers all the questions that you need answered. Ie what happens if an engine fails...what happens if the pilot falls ill....what happens in crazy turbulance...what happens if the landing gear fails....etc. It makes you realise that the plane is so safe and you really can relax and enjoy the flight.
For example...if the engines all fail (chance in a million) then the plane is able to glide into an airport and dosnt just fall out the sky. It can glide for 200 miles and every point on the flight map is within 200 miles of an airport. All systems have 2 back ups if the original fails etc etc. Well worth a read

Thank you for your reply. Looks like I'm heading for the nearest book store tomorrow! X

I hate flying as a passenger!
Used to be a long & short-haul Air Hostess.
Maybe I miss the superior safety harness Crew get, or being next to the exit!
Honestly, you'll be fine - sometimes I had to fly up to 30 sectors a week & only had a few near misses......

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Oh dear. What is it that you don't like about flying? X

I actually can't pin point it, did have turbulence on a couple of flights..but nothing major. Maybe it's just an old-age thing!! Oh and having children hasn't helped...as other parents know, you worry so much about safety and fearing the worst and I think my fear just became stupidly irrational.

I did Tenerife at Christmas and was ok, but next flight will definitely be a shorter one, lots of lovely places to go within a couple of hours flying time xx

Latest posts

Back