Text type!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sound like a right stuck up moo now but i don't like the text speak like pmsl etc i presume it all means what i think it means and thats how i read it.If you wouldn't say it in proper language then don't use it in text it still says the same.

I accept your point completely but we are Geeks after all and some of these abbreviations are now an accepted part of Forum language on the INTERNET and even though most of it is pretty vulgar and I never use it, I think we can accept that GEEKS from all countries pretty well DO.

My post was more about spelling, grammar and making posts intelligible for all and respecting that we geeks come from many countries .. if we are a community that cares (as we all say we are) then let's show it.

Totally live with it Judy - makes you look tres intelligent!!!

Thanks Samantha. Please tell my 15 year old son this too. Perhaps then I'll be able to understand his text messages:)

I sound like a right stuck up moo now but i don't like the text speak like pmsl etc i presume it all means what i think it means and thats how i read it.If you wouldn't say it in proper language then don't use it in text it still says the same.
it's considered to be 'net lingo... it's definitely shorter that saying "p!ssing myself laughing"
it isn't grammatical or referring to spelling (IMO), more of an internet expression.

http://www.salongeek.com/misc-articles/35663-message-board-lingo.html

I still haven't learned all the net lingo, and while we have a lovely handy guide, which I have read, I can't seem to remember it long enough to use it. I guess that means you're pretty safe with good grammer or at least not net lingo from my..IMHO ( I really hope that's In my humble opinion)

I still haven't learned all the net lingo, and while we have a lovely handy guide, which I have read, I can't seem to remember it long enough to use it. I guess that means you're pretty safe with good grammer or at least not net lingo from my..IMHO ( I really hope that's In my humble opinion)

For a Foreigner, love, you write and speak English surprisingly well!! My Geography isn't too good ... is Chubbuck somewhere in the Soviet Union? Sounds quite exotic to me.

Personally, I think the geek language has an affectionate ring to it. It's almost like a term of endearment.

I call my toddler mimpies and chicken because they are affectionate terms. They are acceptable to her and she loves it. When we tell a geek ROTFLMAO it is during banter and a moment of humour as much as :lol: or :) or :smack: etc..... This is all part of the freindly community vibe on this site.

However, back to Geegs original point which was about difficult to read and understand text speak .........

For a Foreigner, love, you write and speak English surprisingly well!! My Geography isn't too good ... is Chubbuck somewhere in the Soviet Union? Sounds quite exotic to me.
ROFLMAO :lol: you crack me up :wink2:

Close, if you go by way of....ok, I can't even think of a way that the Soviet Union is close, unless you're willing to count the people who opened the Gymnastics Training Center down the road.

English is my first language, but I am American so I guess technically that's not Engish. If pressed I could probably remember enough German to get me by and my Spanish still needs all kinds of work. Speak VERY slowly when you speak in Spanish.

Close, if you go by way of....ok, I can't even think of a way that the Soviet Union is close, unless you're willing to count the people who opened the Gymnastics Training Center down the road.

English is my first language, but I am American so I guess technically that's not Engish. If pressed I could probably remember enough german to get me by and my spanish still needs all kinds of work. Speak VERY slowly when you speak in Spanish.

I f I t y p e i t v e r y s l o w l e y w i l l t h a t h e l p y o u ?¿?

Well you know the world is going mad when, like here in NZ the government recognises and allows abbreviations and TXT terminology such as (2day - today) to be allowed in national school exams

Thankfully at least this does not apply to English as a subject where spelling and grammar are marked for....

But seriously, tough time to be a high school teacher ?!

Forgive me if I am being a pedant, but just reading through the rules posted at the top of this forum, is this the correct forum for a post regarding grammatical content? I thought it was for 'All things Nails!' lolol :)lol:LAUGH OUT LOUD!)

Forgive me if I am being a pedant, but just reading through the rules posted at the top of this forum, is this the correct forum for a post regarding grammatical content? I thought it was for 'All things Nails!' lolol :)lol:LAUGH OUT LOUD!)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you got us there :lol:

I don't mind if someone uses txt spk (text speak) or the proper english language. To me, it's all the same. But, if you are using proper english, please use the spell check. I'm so often tempted to correct someone's spelling, it's hard to hold myself back at times hahaha

HOWEVER, paragraphs and being able to identify where a thought begins and where it ends, is somewhat important. Or it winds up looking all gobble-dee-gook.
Another thing... capitalizing every single word.
WHAT THE HECK FOR? That makes it hard to follow as well, not knowing when the sentence begins or ends... looks like a sentence that just keeps going and going like an energizer bunny:eek:

Another thing we should consider. Local expressions. UK slang is just as confusing to me as if someone were talking to me in Chinese. Also, I'm rather certain that if I used Quebec slang terminology, the rest of you would go crosseyed (mind you, I have a giggle confusing local pals with uk slang:lol: for the odd expression I do manage to figure out. Most recently, my understanding of "chav" was corrected lol)

Anyway, just my 'tuppence' worth:wink2:

I for one think that this is a wonderful thread to bring to the forefront of our memory how truly important it is to use proper terminology whilst responding to our fellow geeks on this site. :D

I try my best not to use Text Type, I use IM (Instant Messenger) a lot and sometimes I slip up, I always try to re-read my post before I hit the 'submit' button and I read it once again when it posts. I have to admit that I do forget that this is a worldwide site and that some may not understand my little way of speakiing....

I will do better, I promise!

May I add one more thing?? Some words mean totally different things in different places, like the word "cum" here in the states means, er....well to put it mildly (If I can) means a man's 'fun' juices after having an intimate romp :o

Well you know the world is going mad when, like here in NZ the government recognises and allows abbreviations and TXT terminology such as (2day - today) to be allowed in national school exams

Thankfully at least this does not apply to English as a subject where spelling and grammar are marked for....

But seriously, tough time to be a high school teacher ?!
Truly!!

Well, English is my 3rd language and is not so good,for example i dont understand everything when I hear english on the TV. I really dont have problem with this I,Im,ppl, I think I always got the point of the word. My problem is the meaning of the words or phrases:irked:, because i cannot find them in the dictionary. When i write here i know i have a lot of grammatical mistakes and sorry for that(I was little bit lazy at school learning english:irked: and now when i need it I am so sorry for that), sometimes when i dont know the word in english I translate it with dictionary, it doesnt seem to me to fit but dont know what else to use and for this sorry also:irked: Thank you all for correcting me:hug:

I do also itch to change small 'i's to caps etc because it just plain looks better... but I don't get too wound up about it! Emmsybabe said she is slow at typing etc and when you are slow and have to worry about switching the caps on too... can get much but once again - the SPELL CHECKER sorts that out!
I have to say I do try to remember to spell check and I do go back and check my posts but spell check does not recognise the difference between a little or capital I, which is why that one slips through the net a Lot.:)

I posted a similar thread to this a while back, mainly asking (politely) if people can at least put the posts in paragraphs, to help us understand what they are trying to say.

I also stressed that I understood that English is not the first language of all, and that for some spelling is not one of their best points. Unfortunately, this lead to me getting a shed load of neg rep points when all we are trying to do is help other geeks in getting the replies that they are after in their threads.

Please Geeks, don't take offence at what Geeg or us other geeks are saying - we are trying to help you get the most out of your threads by applying a few simple guidelines.

I was also informed that some geeks do have computer problems where they cannot separate their posts into paragraphs, for which the reason has not yet been identified (techno minded geeks - please feel free to comment in this issue).

p.s. - I am taking a wild stab in the dark here Geeg, but I bet you have read one of my all time favourite books - Eats Shoots and Leaves: :lol:

p.p.s - please excuse any spelling or gramatical errors - as I am using Apple Mac computer spell check isn't active (unfortunately).

:hug:

Some good points made,appreciated and taken on board.

Just one small point to add if I may, some geeks may have difficulties with spelling,grammar etc (others are lazy,but I'm owning up to nothing :wink2: )

Although i do agree it looks better for the site, a certain geeks springs to mind.

Let's say spelling isn't her strong point,but nails are !

She offers amazing,helpful advise and creates beautiful nails.

So I do agree we should take more notice of what we type,please be mindful of others too.

:hug:

Ps Judy,it is not an age thing hun,when i get a text from my niece,i have to ring her to find out what she was saying,and she laughs at me because mine look like as essay :lol: x

Well all I can say is that the easier you make it to read a post then the more likely you are to get an answer. If you want to alienate certain members of the site by writing in text talk then "go ahead punk make my day" lol! But then don't be surprised by the lack of responses! :rolleyes:

As for LOL, ROFL etc I think they are just like emoticons and set the mood for your words and help them to be taken in the mood they were meant. To be technically correct they are acronyms rather than an abbreviated "text talk" word.

Latest posts

Back