Text type!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind if someone uses text speak or the proper English language. To me, it's all the same. But, if you are using proper English, please use the spell check. I'm so often tempted to correct someone's spelling, it's hard to hold myself back at times.

It's really not about what you find personally acceptable or not.

It is about having respect for others, and keeping the site looking professional and of high standard.

This is such a bug bear of mine too.

To all those people out there who do not have the time or the inclination to use the Spell Checker, download Firefox, it automatically highlights incorrectly spelt words.

Just to reiterate, if I cannot understand a post, reading with my ancient eyes and deciphering with my ancient brain, then I just give up and move on to the next post.

I have probably been guilty of the odd words like ppl, txt, u, jst is another I have used way too much!... :eek: But I have stopped now and keep that just for texting or on msn. I sometimes type really quick and type i instead of I, but I always go back and correct that now! :green:

This is such a bug bear of mine too.

To all those people out there who do not have the time or the inclination to use the Spell Checker, download Firefox, it automatically highlights incorrectly spelt words.

Just to reiterate, if I cannot understand a post, reading with my ancient eyes and deciphering with my ancient brain, then I just give up and move on to the next post.

As you may see from my thread above I do agree with you on this one Fiona.

If I can not understand a thread because of either spelling that I am not sure of, or posts that consist of about 30 or more lines which are all in one paragraph without any full stops or commas - I tend to either forget about the thread in question or at least not bother replying!

However, it is not as easy as you think to use a separate spellchecker - I currently have a mac computer and as far as I am aware there is no spell checker on there that can check your spelling automatically for posts on threads.

I used to use Firefox when I was on a microsoft based pc - and trying to download the spell checker for that was also a nightmare and in the end just didnt work.

Its one of those things that I dont think we will ever get resolved, which is a shame but I am afraid is a sign of the times that we are now living in.

:hug:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you got us there :lol:

I don't mind if someone uses txt spk (text speak) or the proper english language. To me, it's all the same. But, if you are using proper english, please use the spell check. I'm so often tempted to correct someone's spelling, it's hard to hold myself back at times hahaha

HOWEVER, paragraphs and being able to identify where a thought begins and where it ends, is somewhat important. Or it winds up looking all gobble-dee-gook.
Another thing... capitalizing every single word.
WHAT THE HECK FOR? That makes it hard to follow as well, not knowing when the sentence begins or ends... looks like a sentence that just keeps going and going like an energizer bunny:eek:

Another thing we should consider. Local expressions. UK slang is just as confusing to me as if someone were talking to me in Chinese. Also, I'm rather certain that if I used Quebec slang terminology, the rest of you would go crosseyed (mind you, I have a giggle confusing local pals with uk slang:lol: for the odd expression I do manage to figure out. Most recently, my understanding of "chav" was corrected lol)

Anyway, just my 'tuppence' worth:wink2:

Trust me when I say it means exactly the same here!!:eek:

I was also informed that some geeks do have computer problems where they cannot separate their posts into paragraphs, for which the reason has not yet been identified (techno minded geeks - please feel free to comment in this issue).

Yes really, how i can separate the paragraphs? I use enter but when i post it there is not separating space, what to do?

I don't dislike the text talk as much as I dislike the bad grammar.

I am a typist from way back, I was taught at 14 and worked in an office for years, so my typing is pretty good, that's something I can brag about without feeling big headed. lol:cool:

I don't use spell check, I don't know how to, I have a dictionary on my computer table and refer to it whenever I'm not sure of a word. It's embarrassing but it's almost like a hobby/obsession for me to get the spelling and punctuation right on things.

Even signs and things on TV etc, I get excited if I find a mistake.:eek::o lol xx

(note to self....get a life.)

I don't dislike the text talk as much as I dislike the bad grammar.

Even signs and things on TV etc, I get excited if I find a mistake.:eek::o lol xx

(note to self....get a life.)

:lol: :lol: You sound just like me! I spent yesterday lunchtime correcting the spelling mistakes on the menu at my local pub. Very sad. :o

I would like to think that I use good grammar when replying to a thread. (look at me totally being careful typing this) LOL

But I totally understand the point about it being hard to read text type.
I dont even use text type when I am texting! PMSL!
Its just a bug bear of mine and my partner hates it too..

But with regards to spelling.. the spelling check is there for a reason.. which is unfortunate to say, only seldom used. However, there are alot of people that cannot download the spelling check.. like me on the home pc, but I can on the work one.
Besides most spell checkers are American so even though you think you are spelling something correct, it tells you different.
But its ok for the worldwide users on this site and people that use the American Grammar. e.g.. colour/color.. neighbour/neighbor.. cheque/ check...etc

People from different generations also have different ways of saying things.. and it depends on your education and everyone is different.

We are not all perfect as we know. Even I have noticed wrong spelling from the 'top dogs' that wasn't just a typing error as it's been repeatedly spelt wrong in other posts too. But I dont jump on them about it.
I have been know to use words like gonna, and dunno, just typing in slang I suppose. Also, I am guilty of leaving out the odd hyphon in the word I'm.

Anyway.. it certainly DOES go in your favour if you type in correct English.
And much easier for the majority to read too.

:green: Happy Geeking guys.. LOL

That's hilarious Sals!

My Fiance gets mad with me and says "Who Cares!" when I point out mistakes, but I go on and on about it because it freaks me out!.

I'm glad I'm not the only saddo. x

I am guilty....!!!! :smack:

I don't so much use text talk or abbreviations, but after spending the last 10 years emailing everyday, I have now picked up a habit of NOT using capital letters..!! My I's are always i's and I use lower case letters for everything and every beginning of a sentence.

Instead of using capital letters, comma's and full stops to separate my sentences. I use my dots - '............. '

Everytime I write a formal letter these days. I found myself having to go back and change these bits which - i must admit - that I am not proud of. It is not good and so unprofessional looking.

I have written these few lines with difficulties, but I will try my hardest to write more like this in the future.

I am guilty....!!!! :smack:

I don't so much use text talk or abbreviations, but after spending the last 10 years emailing everyday, I have now picked up a habit of NOT using capital letters..!! My I's are always i's and I use lower case letters for everything and every beginning of a sentence.

Instead of using capital letters, comma's and full stops to separate my sentences. I use my dots - '............. '

Everytime I write a formal letter these days. I found myself having to go back and change these bits which - i must admit - that I am not proud of. It is not good and so unprofessional looking.

I have written these few lines with difficulties, but I will try my hardest to write more like this in the future.

I use dots alot too!... Can't get out of the habit of that!

A chap I used to work with always replied to internal e-mails with the sender's grammar and spelling corrected. In red! :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHunter

I don't mind if someone uses text speak or the proper English language. To me, it's all the same. But, if you are using proper English, please use the spell check. I'm so often tempted to correct someone's spelling, it's hard to hold myself back at times.

It's really not about what you find personally acceptable or not.

It is about having respect for others, and keeping the site looking professional and of high standard

SEE:!: Another perfect example of language differences due to location etc.
I live in Quebec. I'm bilingual (speak & write english - whoops, pardon me English, and I also speak & write French)
In the French language, we would not capitalize the words 'English" and "French" in a sentence.

In any case, stuff like that doesn't bother me. They're silly little details that have no effect on the message being shared.
Were I writing a book or an article for publication, or sending a letter to a client, then it would be a different matter.

I certainly understand the need for people to take more care when they post... but let's not alienate the ones that truly struggle by being anal. They might choose not to post at all, if they feel that every word they write will be picked apart and criticized.

They come to the site for assistance and guidance. Not for an English lesson which is probably why I usually ignore type-o's and spelling errors.

I don't understand why you would write KK instead of OK.
Had to get that one off my chest, it's been bugging me for ages.

Trust me when I say it means exactly the same here!!:eek:

We don't use the word 'chav' in Canada. I had never heard of the word before joining this site, and only 'guessed' at it's meaning.
I'm still not 100% clear, but I think I understand it now

:lol:

In any case, stuff like that doesn't bother me. They're silly little details that have no effect on the message being shared.
Were I writing a book or an article for publication, or sending a letter to a client, then it would be a different matter.

I certainly understand the need for people to take more care when they post... but let's not alienate the ones that truly struggle by being anal. They might choose not to post at all, if they feel that every word they write will be picked apart and criticized.

They come to the site for assistance and guidance. Not for an English lesson which is probably why I usually ignore type-o's and spelling errors.

Do you not think, Victoria, that in fact, when you are posting on this site you are actually publishing something on record for all to see?? Perhaps even more people see what you post here than in any article you might write. So I do not see it as a different matter at all or as less important but, on the contrary, even more important.

As far as suggesting that anyone is trying to be overly picky or scare people away from posting, shall I just reiterate the whole point of the thread for possibly the third or even fourth time?? I'm simply asking the dear geeks on this site to show their pride in the site and their concern for other members by writing in a manner that all will find easy to read and understand.

Now that is not too difficult a request is it?? In fact I do believe it is even in the site rules for all to see, although many do not take the time to read them.

I live in Quebec. I'm bilingual (speak & write english - whoops, pardon me English, and I also speak & write French)
In the French language, we would not capitalize the words 'English" and "French" in a sentence.
It's the same in Spain, they don't use capital letters for the days of the week OR months of the year...
so, Friday the 12th of January is written as... viernes 12 de enero.

The thing is...
being as we're an international site we should respect the locational differences with language and grammar.

There are a few differences regarding spelling between American and English, quite a few u's are missed out, humor as opposed to humour etc.
It does throw me sometimes when I read a reply that has words which have missing u's lol

Again, it comes down to where we live and the language we speak... however, text talk isn't taught in schools, it has been born from laziness at the end of the day :wink2:

I think the point being made here by Geeg (correct me if I'm wrong please) is
that if a couple of geeks start using 'text speak' then it starts becoming habit with a few more then a few more, especially where newbies are concerned. If newbies see that this is the way geeks communicate on here then they slot right in doing the same thing.

I can get past the odd (and I mean very occasional) post with 'wot if i wuz 2 fone em 2 c if they can cum 2moro insted?' as opposed to 'what if I was to phone them to see if they can come tomorrow instead?' Reading the first one in several posts really would do my head in! I just wouldn't bother and then how would that serve any purpose for learning and sharing.

For somebody who does struggle as it is with the English language, this would be so frustrating.

Thank you Tracey :hug: ... at least there are a few who see the actual point of the thread, rather than seeing everything only in terms of how it applies to THEMSELVES.

Latest posts

Back