The Importance of Aftercare Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelley Clarke

Reaction score
Hi

I just wanted to know if everyone gives their clients advice on how to care for their enhancements. The reason for asking is that i've had a few clients come in with l&p enhancements which have been done in town, they were not happy with them for certain reasons. Once i had done their nails i explained how they should look after them eg cuticle oil, use pads of fingers etc...etc... They said that they were never told this. I think this is a really important part of a service.
1. It keeps the nails nicer for longer
2. It makes my job easier on rebalances/infills

I also had one lady come in the other week with the worst l&p extensions i have ever seen - too long, too thick and to top it all the little finger nail had been completely torn away from the nail bed (ouch) she also had red lines across her nail where she said they had used electric files (her nails were also done in town). She's coming to me friday so i can soak off the nails and see the damage and go from there.

It makes me quite angry to see this as it gives us nail techs quite a bad name and people who have had bad experiences don't want their nails done again.

Anyway i've had my say so i'll get off me soap box.

Shelley

Hi

it is my salon policy that all clients are given after care advice it is on the record card at the back with the treatments to remind the tech they have to put either v= verbal advice given or w= leaflet given. All new clients are given a leaflet and all existing clients are gently reminded. I to have had clients that have come in from other salons one lady had ruined her new L+P extensions by using an acetone based polish remover because she wasnt advised any differently. We also sell an aftercare kit at a reduced cost so they have to right products at home.

I always give an aftercare leaflet to all new clients and refresh their memory verbally on subsequent visits and record this on their record card.

I'm sure it's in the small print of my insurance policy that aftercare advice must be given after every service.

Hope this helps!

Cathie. x

Each time a client has a treatment be it manicure, pedicure, nail enhancements and nail art - they are given an aftercare guide to take home and keep, alot of the time they are lost or mislaid so they are always happy to get one, or if they still have the previous one they tell me, it gets to the point they recite the advise with me.

nails@42ndstree said:
I'm sure it's in the small print of my insurance policy that aftercare advice must be given after every service.

You are right. It is a requirement that aftercare advice be given after ANY treatment. Omit doing it, and you will be the one who is liable if a client comes after you about anything.

Also can I just comment that in my opinion, it is not the whole nail industry that gets a bad rep from a bad technician. It is the bad technician who gets the bad reputation.

If a woman goes to a rotten hairstylist, she doesn't blame all hairdressers plus the whole industry and vow never to go and get her hair done again, does she? She for sure never goes to that hairstylist again. She finds someone better.

Educate y our clients that having thier nails done does not ever need to be a painful experience! If they experience any pain they should get up and leave the salon.

sawasdee ka

Yes geeg is very right what she speak if a lady have hair color and it is no good she go somewhere to make it better and if the salon do good job she go back there and maybe customer for long time .

Bad nail tech do not give nail industry a bad name they make a bad name for there salon there are good and bad in every job in the world i have eat food very bad cooking but they only have my money 1 time but the ones cook good i go many time for eat same nail salon for customer .

there will always be bad nail technician and there will always be many many good ones and you must not forget that some of us are learning so will not make nail as good as somebody do nail long time .

you must not forget that that maybe a girl that did not get the nail 100 percent right maybe was a girl that has paid for education practice all the time is trying with all her heart .

But she need just some time to do same very good same you .

Mui from Thailand

hI

I do agree with what you said about hair dressers but i have found that a few new clients who have had previous bad experiences have come to me through word of mouth and have said that they were put off having their nails done again - which i think is a shame. Although at least they did trust me to do their l&p and must say they were pleased. Just need to educate them that just because of one bad experience not to put off trying another salon.

Thanks for your replies

Shelley

I know what you are saying, Shelly, and you are right that some do get 'put off' trying again because maybe they don't know what to look for when trying to find a GOOD technician.

But when we get these ones at our table, the hairdressing analogy is a good one to tell them because it sort of puts things into perspective for them. THEN we teach them what to look for in a good technician.

Thanks for that advice. I will use the hairdressing analogy next time.

Shelley

My new clients get their aftercare leaflet during the service as most of them like to sit and read through it while their service is being carried out. It also helps for me to answer any questions they might come up with while reading it rather than taking it home and then not having the answers. I recently took on a new client who has been having nail enhancements for years and yet as she was reading through the advice she kept saying "I've never been told this (or that) before". I also give a pinkie solar oil with each full set - encourages new clients to use it if they get it free, then they're hooked and buy it regularly after that.

Jackie
www.LibertyNailDesign.com
Dublin

The 'pinkie solar oil' how many do you get in a pack? l assume you can buy these in bulk?

Jackie - how much do you retail the next size up? Do you get those in a pack also? l like how you do business with the 'freebie' then it encourages the client to get more! cool.

smiler13334 said:
The 'pinkie solar oil' how many do you get in a pack? l assume you can buy these in bulk?

Jackie - how much do you retail the next size up? Do you get those in a pack also? l like how you do business with the 'freebie' then it encourages the client to get more! cool.

Hi Theresa, I bought my 'pinkies' (3.7ml) in packs of 40 (friend brought them over from the States but I'd imagine you can get these packs over this side of the pond). I charge €3.00 (euro) for the pinkies if they want that size and €6.00 for the 7ml, these are the two sizes I retail most often.

I never used to give the pinkies for free, but I've found now that I do, my clients love the fact they're getting 'something for nothing' and I think it gives them the impression that the condition of their nails IS important to me and I'm not just after their money (I mean, I AM REALLY, but they don't need to know this! :biggrin: )

Jackie
Dublin

JackieMc said:
I'm not just after their money (I mean, I AM REALLY, but they don't need to know this! :biggrin: )

You made me chuckle with the above - thanks for that!! :biggrin:
Well im going to get myself some of those and take on your advise which makes good business sense.

Take care!
i'm still grinning

JackieMc said:
Hi Theresa, I bought my 'pinkies' (3.7ml) in packs of 40 (friend brought them over from the States but I'd imagine you can get these packs over this side of the pond). I charge €3.00 (euro) for the pinkies if they want that size and €6.00 for the 7ml, these are the two sizes I retail most often.

I never used to give the pinkies for free, but I've found now that I do, my clients love the fact they're getting 'something for nothing' and I think it gives them the impression that the condition of their nails IS important to me and I'm not just after their money (I mean, I AM REALLY, but they don't need to know this! :biggrin: )

Jackie

Dublin
I have to say Jackie i totally agree with you.:D Your comment about money really did make me laugh. In a way we do care about our clients nails or we wouldn't do a good job but i know what you mean. The better job you do the more money the client will spend with you.

Have to say i usually give the after care advice during and after treatment. All new clients i've had are usually quite fascinated with reasons we do the things we do and using the oil etc, i think you get respect from your client as you obviously care and know what you're talking about.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back