The International Colour Chart, ICC

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becki x

Reaction score
For newbies (and some oldies) :lol: the ICC can seem very complex and after a little promting i thought i would explain in my words i how understand it,please feel free to add/correct me :D

Ok i use Igora Royal (the ICC varies slightly)

So the first number on the box is the base shade of the colour you will use

The second number,usually after the dash is the primary tone

The third number is the secondary tone

EG: 5-99 would be a base shade of a 5,the 9 is a violet tone,because the primary and secondary tones are the same.this would mean violet EXTRA

9-00 would be natural EXTRA however this isn't usually to increase the intensity of the tone in the same way,this would be to cover stubborn grey rather than acheiving a vibrant purple.

Then you might get 6-777 which would mean intensive copper extra

or 9-54 which would be gold as the primary tone and beige as the secondary.

3-2 would have a ash tone

Maybe it won't but i hth's someone :D

Thats great becki, I use Igora royal to

1 to 10 are the base colours or the depth of the colour 1 (black )being the darkest 10 being the lightest (blonde)

then you get the primary tones from ash .1 (cool tones)to right through to red .9 (warm tones) these are the most intense tone

and then you can get secondary tones which are less intense than the primary tone except for when the primary and secondary numbers are the same then they make the overall colour more intense like 6.88 dark extra red blonde

when u have a number like 7/89 medium red violet blonde 7 is the base/depth the 8 is the primary tone being red and the 9 is the secondary tone being violet hense the red/violet

youv'e explained it better than me though lol:hug:

thanks becki!!!

helps sooo much xx

Thank you becki, we are going into our colouring module for level 2...:hug:

Now I'm not a Hair Geek but love colour on my hair (done by my fab hairdresser) so I'm really interested in the detail of what he does..... We decided this afternoon to colour my hair in slices of both 6/77 and a 50:50 mix of 12/0 and 12/1. I'm a base 6 and we don't want to use bleach to get the blonde.....

Lovin' the hair geek info...... Sorry for not adding anything useful:)!!

Now I'm not a Hair Geek but love colour on my hair (done by my fab hairdresser) so I'm really interested in the detail of what he does..... We decided this afternoon to colour my hair in slices of both 6/77 and a 50:50 mix of 12/0 and 12/1. I'm a base 6 and we don't want to use bleach to get the blonde.....

just swatting up
so a 6.77 is dark blonde base with red.red tone...so would it be intense red .77?
12 is highlift ultra light blonde and the 12.1 is the same but with ash??
does adding the 12.1 take away the gold tones ??????

just swatting up
so a 6.77 is dark blonde base with red.red tone...so would it be intense red .77?
12 is highlift ultra light blonde and the 12.1 is the same but with ash??
does adding the 12.1 take away the gold tones ??????

Well, according to Mark's chart the 6:77 is dark blonde base with gold brunette tone - it didn't have any red in the description..... The reason behind mixing the high-lift tint is because I have re-growth from blonde highlights (mainly tinted, a few bleach) - if we use just the 12:1 we might get some greenness (don't think green is in this season, lol!)

Does that help??!!

That's what i mean by the ICC varies,from brand to brand,plain stupidity IMO

just thinking out loud
becki does ash .1 being added cancel out the gold tones of the natural hair...

Do you have a colour star Jo,you need one :wink2:

In fact GMG has one on here somewhere

The colours opposite eachother on the colour star neutralise one another,this is deffo a case where a diagram is better than words and i'll tell you why,it's simply because "ash" (blue/green or violet tones ) from one brand is diff to another (again the ICC sucks for this)

I have been thinking of how to try to explain,i don't have the words atm

http://www.salongeek.com/misc-tutorials/19512-wheel-fortune.html

Here ya go,GMG explains it way better than i could :!: hth's

Last edited:
just found one in my book...we havent covered the colour star yet...it says .1 opposite .4 auburn

1 being ash for the brand you use ?

Aurburn being red / gold ?

You would think that ICC would be consistant so that we all could use it!! The level is first here 1 darkest 10 lightest, but even among our own manufacturers the tones are labled differently. European manufacturers use numbers, American manufacturers use letter so I have to translate and hope I come close. Thankfully I have kind geeks to send me current level/colour charts to keep me in the loop; they are the same colors, they just have different lables.

What you all would consider a 6.77 level six red, red my chart would put that at a level six green, green or 6A.

the European translation for US is
1 blue
2 violet
3 gold
4 copper
5 mahogany
6 red
7 green
0 neutral

So bear with me if an exact formula is given and is way, way out in left field, I'll try to stick with the level and spell out base tones so I don't confuse people!

Wow, I hope I've helped rather than offered confusion!!! I'm not a hair geek just an informed consumer with a fab hairdresser.....

we use clynol at college
.1 ash (violet)
.2 extra ash ( blue)
.3 gold
.4 auburn
.5 copper gold
.6 copper
.7 red
.8 mahogony
.9 violet

why do companies have different colour charts as the base colours all seem to tally up but the tones are different

why do companies have different colour charts as the base colours all seem to tally up but the tones are different
To insure that we are devoted users who won't change. We don't like change and are usually unwilling to learn a completely new system! (Little do they know, there are those of us out here who want to know it all!!!!:mad:)

Does anyone know where I can find a ICC Chart and Information online?

lovin the pic!:D

It would make life easier if the icc was the same across the brands!!
As a L'oreal geek, I read a .7 as being green too!
It is why I don't really join in on the wella colour threads, as L'oreal number system is completely different from wella
.0 intense natural
.1 ash
.2 blue ash (called pearl)
.3 gold (also gold base, as will cover grey. Also base for all warm colours)
.4 Copper
.5 red
.6 mahogany
.7 green (cool tone)

grrr i really do wish that all the numbering systems were the same for each brand! i've just started using igora royal at work and it's kinda like learning everything again :o

Latest posts

Back