The Loyalty Scheme thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I'd do it after a certain spend and I'd offer a voucher for x amount off said treatment or to use against a retail product.

My reasoning behind it is you could end up doing a whole day or week of free treatments so that's no money in for your business.

Xx

This is the reason I have had to change mine. I've had some days I've been out to 4/5 clients travelling 30 minutes one way and earned nothing. Just can't do it.
Now it's the 10th treatment gets £10 off

Vicki x

Ok so I definitely won't be doing a pay for X amount get one free.

Still undecided though. I want the minimum spend to be £15 I think. And I want it to be a stamp per visit. Just not sure how many stamps and what the reward should be, I think I like the money off voucher redeemable against retail too (less work/loss on our part) thinking of doing 2 separate ones one for general and one for my Shellac ladies as I have a tonne, or does it just get confusing then?>

A really interesting thread and so varied as to what you all do. However, I am going to be brave here and say that I think most of you are far too generous. For example those of you giving away £10 voucher or discount for every £100 spent are truly generous unless your offering that £10 on treatments where it's only your time and no product use.

I try to work out the benefits from both angles. For the client they would be most likely coming in anyway for the same regular treatment so they benefit by getting a freebie or discount and let's face it, we all love getting rewarded for easy work.

But you are a business, so most importantly your loyalty system should benefit you I believe.
For example- if I did a stamp for every £15 spent(1per visit) then my clients only having a wet cut @ £16 could get stamped and if they did this every 6 weeks, they could get 10 stamps easily having spent £160 and then have an almost free haircut or money of colouring etc by earning a £10 voucher, but if my amount was £25 spend for 1 stamp I feel it may make them consider having a cut & blow dry instead at £26 instead of a wet cut, meaning that 10 stamps would have made them spend £260 then they still get £10 off something and still feel like they are getting rewarded.
I'd also be inclined to offer the voucher against a new treatment to get them using more of your services.

This may just be how my brain works but What do you all think??

A really interesting thread and so varied as to what you all do. However, I am going to be brave here and say that I think most of you are far too generous. For example those of you giving away £10 voucher or discount for every £100 spent are truly generous unless your offering that £10 on treatments where it's only your time and no product use.

I try to work out the benefits from both angles. For the client they would be most likely coming in anyway for the same regular treatment so they benefit by getting a freebie or discount and let's face it, we all love getting rewarded for easy work.

But you are a business, so most importantly your loyalty system should benefit you I believe.
For example- if I did a stamp for every £15 spent(1per visit) then my clients only having a wet cut @ £16 could get stamped and if they did this every 6 weeks, they could get 10 stamps easily having spent £160 and then have an almost free haircut or money of colouring etc by earning a £10 voucher, but if my amount was £25 spend for 1 stamp I feel it may make them consider having a cut & blow dry instead at £26 instead of a wet cut, meaning that 10 stamps would have made them spend £260 then they still get £10 off something and still feel like they are getting rewarded.
I'd also be inclined to offer the voucher against a new treatment to get them using more of your services.

This may just be how my brain works but What do you all think??

Agree, I would do a complimentary wax or massage for shellac clients to get them to try a new service

I wouldn't do money off more a thank you for being loyal "gift"

I'm hair so thinking of doing a complimentary style dry after do much spent

Thankyou for the replies Geeks, it's important to see different perspectives on this.

I still think I would like to give the voucher but I will look at amending the amount you spend and the amount of stamps needed. Ideally it would be great to be giving a voucher that was redeemable on a NEW treatment to get the client to try other treatments with me and potentially gain then on a weekly/bi-weekly basis for an additional treatment but I'm not sure they would see this as much of a reward?

Zooks, the idea isn't to be giving too much away it's just a tiny incentive for them to come back to you as appose to going anywhere else for their treatments,which they would be doing anyway if they liked what you do. Clients will see any kind of discount/voucher as a bonus :)
Remember you work for a living,for money and not for fun. Especially to all those mobile stylists/techs out there- if your travelling to your clients to give them a free treatment then I'm afraid it's costing you money to do it. I'd want them to have spent more than £90 - £100 before I do that. Be careful to work out your coatings and the real benefits 1st.

Tomme- a free blowfly is a great 1 as it has no costs involved,just a little bit of your time :)

Thanks Geeks, I'm going to have a read through again and make a final decision on what I would like to do! You're absolutely right, the come to me now anyway so whatever I do is going to be a bonus!

I also want to get a recommend a friend going along side this, mostly for my Shellac ladies of which I have a good amount. Does anyone have a really good scheme going with an easy way to track it? (I know there is another thread on this but it's not getting a lot of love)

Thanks again.

This thread is great, taken lots of notes of ideas, il be settin my own business soon, so loyalty cards seem a great way to get them back in. All the min soend n £s off are just right for me. I do think the refer a friend is gd too. Need to work out %s on them too.
Vic x

Just about to take on a new skincare range and was wondering if people had suggestions on loyalty cards/points for getting people to return for purchases?

Hmm I think I have mine now. THINK!

I am going to do a refer a friend A6 voucher with space for details of the person being referred and the person that referred them also with two dates on, one for the date the friend uses it and one the date the client uses it. Both will recieve a 20% discount.
It will have a 6 month life on it!

If I was to offer a loyalty scheme where it was stamp per visit over £20 would 10 stamps seem a lot to get to before giving a £10 voucher? Meaning they would at least have to spend £200, working out at 5% discount overall? I was going to do 6 stamps at £20 meaning they get a voucher after spending £120 but this actually seems like a generous amount of discount to be giving everytime.

Sorry Geeks I'm not too savvy on this type of stuff yet.

Last edited:

I am going to do a refer a friend A6 voucher with space for details of the person being referred and the person that referred them also with two dates on, one for the date the friend uses it and one the date the client uses it. Both will recieve a 20% discount.

If I was to offer a loyalty scheme where it was stamp per visit over £20 would 10 stamps seem a lot to get to before giving a £10 voucher? Meaning they would at least have to spend £200, working out at 5% discount overall? I was going to do 6 stamps at £20 meaning they get a voucher after spending £120 but this actually seems like a generous amount of discount to be giving everytime.

Personally I don't think having them spend £200 to get a discount is that bad, after all you are kind enough to give them a reward after they use your services. If they are regular customers the chances are they will spend that amount over a period of time anyway, so the 5% discount is a bonus. I know that if beauty salon in my area offered a loyalty card scheme and you get 'x' amount of a discount I would be more inclined to use their services. If you feel that £20 is too much for the customer to spend to recieve a stamp maybe you could lower it to £15.

I do a star per visit, excluding fixes. After 6 stars they get a special surprise gift. For some of my clients that is a small gift bag with oil and a glass file and stuff, For others it's a complementary mini pedicure.

I keep their used loyalty cards in their record folder so I know who's had what :)

Zooks sounds perfect to me. This is exactly what I was thinking of giving my clients.

I'm going to make this difficult now. I have a few clients that come to me who already receive a discount. It's a huge company where I live, my mum works there and they get their Shellac Manicures for £20 instead of my usual £22. It was a way to hook them in and its worked. I don't mind giving them this offer but they will be exempt from my loyalty scheme because they already have a discounted price do you think this is fair? Not sure if I should exempt them from the refer a friend too or should I tweak it and they can get a mini solar oil as a thank you? Confusing!

Zooks sounds perfect to me. This is exactly what I was thinking of giving my clients.

I'm going to make this difficult now. I have a few clients that come to me who already receive a discount. It's a huge company where I live, my mum works there and they get their Shellac Manicures for £20 instead of my usual £22. It was a way to hook them in and its worked. I don't mind giving them this offer but they will be exempt from my loyalty scheme because they already have a discounted price do you think this is fair? Not sure if I should exempt them from the refer a friend too or should I tweak it and they can get a mini solar oil as a thank you? Confusing!

Right mine has been submitted to Carl @ The Verve!

A stamp for every visit where £20 or more is spent. 10 stamps = A £10 voucher redeemable within 3 months of completing card.(Card has a date box) no cash alternative. Can be used on retail and/or treatments above the value of £15.00.

Phew. That was giving me a headache.

I personally don't discount for anyone on Shellac (except my mum but she doesnt count!) and the reason I don't is for situations like this. Are the clients you discount good clients that you could explain this to? Give them the option? £2 off each time OR part of the scheme? I wouldnt exclude them from your R.A.F scheme as they sounds like good clients (hence why you discount) and so would be likely to recommend you.

It's hard to work it all out isnt it. There are so many options. I think you just have to do what feels right for you and what will work for your business. Like a poster above said they are coming to me anyway so any reward is a bonus.

:)

I do '5 tans get your 6th FREE' I charge £15 a tan, I use LA tan which is buy 1 litre get one free so works out a reasonable price.

My loyalty scheme is always ongoing so when a card is full it starts over again with a new card. I also keep the cards with consultation cards as clients lose them! X

I have finalised my scheme! Looking forward to having it all in place!

Quick question, what do you use to stamp the card? I need to make sure it's not easy to replicate?!

I have finalised my scheme! Looking forward to having it all in place!

Quick question, what do you use to stamp the card? I need to make sure it's not easy to replicate?!

I write the date in the box & initial it, that way I can check back in my diary if I'm suspicious :) x

I write the date in the box & initial it, that way I can check back in my diary if I'm suspicious :) x

Thats a great idea, never thought of that x

I stamp my business initials on a sticker so if they don't have the card they can take the sticker and attach it at home. Each month is a different colour so it's easy to check. Think I'll write the date over the sticker too make things even more secure!

I was thinking of doing 1 stamp with every spend over £15. 10 stamps =£10. 1 stamp per visit. Do you think it would be fair to say Stamps cannot be rewarded on offers and promotions? As they are already receiving discount.

Latest posts

Back